Supermarket Chat 2023

I'm an Aldi till pro. Don't fill up you trolley at the till, that's what the benches are for. This isn't Tesco. Monsters.

I assume it's to make the tills move quicker, except in Aldi I'm nearly always queuing for longer than any other supermarket because invariably they only open about TWO

I assume it's to make the tills move quicker, except in Aldi I'm nearly always queuing for longer than any other supermarket because invariably they only open about TWO
Oh our are pretty good. Finding the best queue and then committing is quite high stress I admit.

Aldi was bloody empty today. Not of people (I wish), but basics like veg and chicken were sorely lacking.

Aldi was bloody empty today. Not of people (I wish), but basics like veg and chicken were sorely lacking.
No eggs in mine earlier. I had to go to a Sainsburys Local and pay the best part of a quid more.

Aldi DEAD in Denmark. not that I ever went. by the sound of it the British Aldi sounds much nicer than it ever was here

You can’t find an egg for LOVE NOR MONEY in Aldi or Lidl, but our local Tesco have been fine. The posh Lidl eggs are amazing too, if you’re ok paying a little bit extra than normal supermarket prices for them.

Aldi DEAD in Denmark. not that I ever went. by the sound of it the British Aldi sounds much nicer than it ever was here
I'd have thought it would have been a natural fit, given Denmark's location within the sphere of Germanic influence.

Although I've long suspected that the British deep down have a strong affinity with Germans, despite all the protestations otherwise.

Also, the Aldi Valentine’s range is top notch.
Yes, I was quite impressed, although it was quite hard to put a meal together for a decent cost. We ended up with loaded fries and lobster ravioli(!)

As expected they appear have reduced their frozen vegan section, which is such a shame. We've loved what we've tried and there was more we wanted to sample.

As expected they appear have reduced their frozen vegan section, which is such a shame. We've loved what we've tried and there was more we wanted to sample.

They keep doing this every year and it’s infuriating! The gyros was the best fake meat product I’ve ever tasted and it’s seemingly gone til next year. The Germans have it all year round, so I’m not sure why we can’t- it sold out super quick so it can’t have been unpopular.

After veganuary finished I swear the prices on vegan and vegetarian ranges have shot up. Crazy prices everywhere here at the moment :evil:

I'd have thought it would have been a natural fit, given Denmark's location within the sphere of Germanic influence.

Although I've long suspected that the British deep down have a strong affinity with Germans, despite all the protestations otherwise.

46 years of history GONE

I just don't think they've been able to compete with the other German discount supertanker, Lidl, which is newer and thus has bigger and fresher looking stores. the Aldis always felt like going down into a poorly stocked bunker, clientele included

Aldi despite being in the UK for a generation is considered the new trendy kid in the supermarket game. The branding is very British, even if the stores are still pretty unique layouts. Both Aldi and Lidl are still opening new stores everywhere. We could honestly take half a dozen new ones here alone and they'd all be busy.

Is Netto a big rival to it over there ?

Is Netto a big rival to it over there ?

Netto's Danish and holds 15% of the market here so yes. also just did a big re-brand so it's a lot nicer than it used to be. probably where I spend most of my money too but that's just as much a proximity thing

our posh supermarket chain Irma is closing, so naturally every middle and upper class citizen is on the verge of meltdown

Seeing middle class people embrace Aldi and Lidl is quite the joy

I grew up with both Lidl and Aldi in Germany, they’re both german chains, always found them incredibly depressing as they pay their suppliers nothing .. those cheap prices don’t come from nothing., I’d rather just go to those organic food places that are everywhere in Paris now

I grew up with both Lidl and Aldi in Germany, they’re both german chains, always found them incredibly depressing as they pay their suppliers nothing .. those cheap prices don’t come from nothing., I’d rather just go to those organic food places that are everywhere in Paris now
That’s all very well but I bet THEY don’t have those lovely and very high end ITALIAMO theme weeks. So exotic and always authentic and delicious! Who needs to go to Italy?

As an espresso fiend - which may account for my bouts of hysteria :disco: - I do quite like those espresso coffee beans they sell in Lidl. I do also like the more refined Waitrose selections with exquisite citrus flavours and what not but sometimes you just want it rough and nasty

All I've seen tomato wise recently are those HORRID things that usually come in packets of six called 'BRITISH SALAD TOMATOES' which taste of nothing except water.

All I've seen tomato wise recently are those HORRID things that usually come in packets of six called 'BRITISH SALAD TOMATOES' which taste of nothing except water.

Absolute dross! The peak of pissing me off when I think about how you have to pay for vegetables to ACTUALLY TASTE LIKE VEGETABLES nowadays.

See also Spanish cherries in those 99p punnets.

This was tweeted yesterday, but the code just worked for me.

Aldi was full of veg this morning. I bought everything I wanted (which was quite a lot!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom