S14 E14: Catwalk

Thoughts on the departed queens because I didn't post in the other threads so why not:

June Jambalaya: I guess the potential for something good was there, but she was generally a bit of a mess. That's kind of all I remember and I only started watching a week ago. I guess the rest of you are wondering who the hell is June by now.

Alyssa Hunter: This is the one elimination that kind of pissed me off. Yes she wasn't amazing and acted ever so slightly to the wrong side of shady, but her runways were rather OPULENT numbers and she absolutely should have lasted, well, another week. But with Daya back I presume they decided they only needed one bitch and this one was already filed under dispensable. A shame.

Kornbread: It feels like 4 out of the top 5 were destined to be there so it would have been interesting to see where Kornbread fit into the story. Maybe in place of Daya. She started strong, but then came the utterly loathsome treatment of Jasmine which looked (although yes this is Drag Race so who knows what picture they're trying to paint) bad on Kornbread. It took the shine off and I suspect her talents were limited (cracks already showed by episode 3) but she inevitably would have excelled elsewhere and I do think it's a shame we won't ever know, at least in terms of this season.

Orion Story: Oh Christ. All I can say is imagine the horror of going out first before THIS. Truly the queen of giving us nothing, nothing at all. I do feel he was probably very reserved and introverted, and his back story if I remember rightly was quite tragic. I wondered if they were keeping him for this to be explored more because we know Ru revels in HUMAN TORMENT, but they obviously couldn't justify keeping him around any longer. And now I'm using "he" I've just noticed, probably because he was so unconvincing as a queen and the only real quality was the smidgen of hotness as a boy? No ill will towards Orion here, but way, way out of their depth. What on earth was the audition like to get this far?!

Maddy: Maddy was a sweetheart and I think despite the early-ish exit will come out of this in a positive light. The trouble was it just came across like someone doing what they thought drag was supposed to be rather than anything authentic. Definitely lacking some proper queeny goodness in everything she did, but that doesn't mean straights can't do it, they have done for years. One of my favourite moments this series was this exchange:

Ru: "Maddy, is your pussy on fire?"
*Maddy looks terrified as if they've never heard the phrase or watched an episode of Drag Race in their life*
Maddy: "my...my pussy?" :D

Not the exact phrasing, but kind of summed up exactly why Maddy wasn't excelling I expect!

Kerri: Such a huge shame - as talking heads go, she was arguably the wittiest and most on point of them all. And of course was STUNNING. But they couldn't really justify keeping her any longer when she was so restrained in the challenges. I bet she would have delivered a solid roast as well. One for All Stars I guess.

Jasmine: God she really did cement herself in our hearts, didn't she? She took the whole OTT and seemingly ludicrous assassination of her character in such good spirits. Of course we weren't there in the room but it did seem her only crime was to be young and talk a lot, heaven forbid! There have been a LOT more annoying queens. Of course, she also wasn't very good, which only added to the charm. And yes she was good at lip syncing but I do think she lost the last couple. For all her energy, she did ultimately just flail around busting out dance moves without really embodying the songs. Which is where Daya played a blinder however pre-ordained that may have been. Still, Jasmine's done her job and I suspect we'll see her again.

Jorgeous: Her entire stint was ridiculous. I am so happy she isn't in the final because she was useless. She absolutely did not win her challenge as whining Daya rightly pointed out. But she's so likeable? Yes but so are most of the others, it's hardly a winning trait here. The lip sync style was getting old fast too. But this has been such a nice season, I still found her lovely to watch as herself, and well that shellsuit jacket is kind of iconic.

Deja Skye: The most absurd Sister Sister style trajectory of the season . She should have gone home early on. She didn't and we gained...absolutely nothing. That fucking snatch game. I have no idea what was going on there but she now has the dubious title of worst snatch game winner ever for shouting "yayar!" and nothing else. At least Australia no longer has the worst snatch game, not that it ever was. And Deja looked fucking awful most weeks :D Again, lovely as a person, but a total piss take making it this far. But not unwatchable at all. It's just been that kind of season

He won the reading challenge and I think the panel challenge as well. I think comedy off the cuff is her strength. Even her snatch game could have been safe if they were so inclined to do so.

I get that, she is obviously very good at comedy, it was just the edit that seemed weird. She went into the feedback part and her "joke" was awful and went nowhere, and then we got what we got. It probably was just a clever edit, but from memory those initial feedback sessions at least give you some idea. This was a total reverse.

Ugh, I hate that Drag Race makes me suspect everything is SET UP

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom