rick and morty

ameraal

la loi de murphy
a new animated tv series from community creator dan harmon, it's "inspired" by back to the future and follows a boy and his scientist pepaw's sci-fi adventures

it's promising. i've really enjoyed the first two episodes, the first six are available online on youtube.

i'm not crazy about the voice to be honest and the grandpa was a bit annoying in the first episodes, but they seem to have reigned it in a bit in the second.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh apparently it's been renewed for a second season already

I agree that the voices are a bit much (especially Rick's, which even after 6 episodes still grates on me). Chris Parnell is AMAZING though.

I think the show itself is bloody brilliant, the second episode (the one with the dogs taking over the world) was just so batshit that I was basically in tears of laughter by the end, especially with Snuffles/Snowball and his 'WE ARE NOT LIKE THEM' bit. The super creepy peado candy in episode 5 (with super creepy post credit sequence) as well was another properly LOL moment.

There are some really clever, and often super simple, ideas in the episode too. Like Mr Meseeks. On paper a good one scene idea, but they managed to spin an entire episode out of it and some very, very funny scenes, especially the one in the restaurant near the end when it all went to shit.

Belatedly loving this show. It's like Futurama and Community had an incredibly dark baby.

The episode with the flashback parasites is probably my favourite so far, although I think my biggest laugh was the running joke of Rick's car doing horrendous things to protect Summer.

Last edited:
If I love Bojack will I like this or is it more of the Archer type or Bob's Burgers or neither?

is season three out yet? twerking Morty is one of my favourite things ever

qK0BMiH.gif

If I love Bojack will I like this or is it more of the Archer type or Bob's Burgers or neither?

It's a little of all of them, but pretty much it's own thing entirely at the same time. Definitely give it a go, some of the best material is in the first handful of episodes.

There's definitely shades of Bojack with the running background jokes, silly humour and nihilism. It's not *quite* as serious as Bojack sometimes is though, although it does have moments of genuine pathos.

I definitely think if you enjoy one you'd have a very high probability of liking the other.

Binged the first series last week and thought it was fucking hilarious, especially
Morty grief-strickenly burying his own corpse

There's definitely shades of Bojack with the running background jokes, silly humour and nihilism. It's not *quite* as serious as Bojack sometimes is though, although it does have moments of genuine pathos.

I definitely think if you enjoy one you'd have a very high probability of liking the other.

It's a little of all of them, but pretty much it's own thing entirely at the same time. Definitely give it a go, some of the best material is in the first handful of episodes.

I shall give it a go then (after I complete Curb :david: )

Last edited:
LOVING this. I did notice they toned down the unpleasantness of Rick's speech style pretty early on, mercifully.

LOVING this. I did notice they toned down the unpleasantness of Rick's speech style pretty early on, mercifully.

Yeah that was the most off-putting element of the first episode for me. By about midway through season one you stop even noticing it.

Just getting through this. The rapist paedo Jellybean killed me.

I got on-board with this back in January when I was housebound for a couple of weeks nursing neovag. I am loving the new series - ep 2 was slightly weaker maybe but only in the company because 1, 3 and 4 have all been sublime. A lot of humour in the unseen, which I like...it's very clever of Harmon and Roiland to introduce the notion that we're only seeing *some* or R&Ms adventures and referencing this a lot more explicitly.

was watching episode 4 for breakfast. it's amazing and still getting better. the new season stuff has been brilliant.

I've tried this several times but I just can't get over the burping.

They have toned it down quite a lot now. They've made their point. That said, in the new episode, Sanchez is absolutely steaming so it would probs annoy the hell out of you.

My favourite episode is where they just watch TV from another dimension.

Didn't realise we had a thread on this. What a show - I'm ready to watch it all again several times. I think my favourite episode so far is the one with all the parasites.

I still find the show itself amusing but fuck me, the fans are in urgent need of lives.

Death to the west!

I have to be honest, I didn't love Season 3. It feels like it went all-in on the nihilism and self awareness and forgot to bring the jokes.

it's very clever of Harmon and Roiland to introduce the notion that we're only seeing *some* or R&Ms adventures and referencing this a lot more explicitly.
Well, I was ridiculously right about this, given Morty's Mindblowers.

I think only eps 2 and 9 were a wee bit weak this series, everything else was superb - eps 1, 7 and 10 are three of the best they've ever made. Yup, the fandom sucks but fandom always does and always did.

I have to be honest, I didn't love Season 3. It feels like it went all-in on the nihilism and self awareness and forgot to bring the jokes.

They made you work a bit harder. Some of the background jokes in ep 10 were magnificent. It's like "Police Squad" - you can't look away or have it on in the background or you lose half of it.

Plus, I love the nihilism. Rick is basically House meets Matt Smith's Doctor.

I find it odd that vegans still get such a hard rap when evangelical Rick and Morty fans are the true fucking scourge of society.

I only discovered this yesterday thanks to my nephew. Halfway through Season 1 so far and loving it!

The Pickle Rick episode is fabulous. The best thing about it is...
the intense speculation about how he got himself turned into a pickle - an evil enemy? an experiment gone badly wrong? Nope - he did it to himself to avoid going to family therapy. It's so mundane and the complete lack of reaction from the family apart from confusion and resignation made it all the funnier.

It was a funny episode but I don't think I ever need to hear anybody quote or reference it ever again.

I've just gone through all 3 seasons and I'm on board! Season 4 should be coming next year, right?

I'm so fascinated by the evil morty storyline.

Love this song from the Season 4 finale

Anyone still watch this? I got sick of it around the season 3 mark, but for those still interested

Hard to imagine it working given how integral he was to the show. I'm sure there'll be some very clever meta plot device to explain/acknowledge it though.

The first 3 seasons were incredible despite how vile the fandom were, it really dropped off a cliff recently though, I found it really difficult to engage with the last season which really didn’t have the nuance.

Also, I still love it, weve been watching every episode from start to finish in anticipation of the new series. I have no shame.

Yeah, the voices are fine, I think. I thought the last series was much better than its two predecessors (I didn't even finish the 5th season) so we'll see if the change has freshened things up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom