Poor forgotten Saturday

Also, never employ people that don't really need to work. They're very inflexible and unhelpful.

No, they're the best because they're there because they want to be. Although if they're not playing ball, you can bin them immediately with zero guilt.

No, they're the best because they're there because they want to be. Although if they're not playing ball, you can bin them immediately with zero guilt.
Yes, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing at all. I'd say my hardest working colleague is someone who is loaded, doesn't need to work at all, but does so for 22.5 hours per week because she's passionate about the job and she gets something from it.

It's about the person, not the circumstances.

They're there when they want to be until you need them to be slightly flexible, then they pull the "I don't need to do that/be here" card.

Yes, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing at all. I'd say my hardest working colleague is someone who is loaded, doesn't need to work at all, but does so for 22.5 hours per week because she's passionate about the job and she gets something from it.

Definitely. If someone's doing it for for "fun" or "to get out of the house", it's probably not going to work. If someone really believes in what they're doing, they'll do it. If they don't need the money, you really know they are motivated.

I mean it's hard to get passionate about fudge :D

I think Mandy and I need to realise no one will care about the shop as much as us. But at the same time, don't leave it a shit hole when we aren't in, and demand certain hours to suit you at the detriment of the shop.

Last edited:
They're there when they want to be until you need them to be slightly flexible, then they pull the "I don't need to do that/be here" card.
Though would a casual worker be any less like that?

As a business owner, you love your workers to be flexible to the needs of the business. But real life doesn't really work like that.

Though would a casual worker be any less like that?

As a business owner, you love your workers to be flexible to the needs of the business. But real life doesn't really work like that.
Well a casual worker wouldn't be on a permanent contract, we could get rid of them during the quiet months. This one is permanent but very inflexible when we are quiet. I don't think we're asking too much by asking her to spread her 22.5 hours over 3.5 days a week over the quiet months instead of 3 days

I mean it's hard to get passionate about fudge :D

I think Mandy and I need to realise no one will care about the shop as much as us. But at the same time, don't leave to a shit hole when we aren't in, and demand certain hours to suit you at the detriment of the shop.
I get your point. But I still think it's about the person and their work ethics, at least to a certain extent.

I get your point. But I still think it's about the person and their work ethics, at least to a certain extent.
Very true. Ours started with great work ethics. When it was all new and exciting. A year on and they're not so good.

Well a casual worker wouldn't be on a permanent contract, we could get rid of them during the quiet months. This one is permanent but very inflexible when we are quiet. I don't think we're asking too much by asking her to spread her 22.5 hours over 3.5 days a week over the quiet months instead of 3 days
I know, but having someone you know and trust is worth a huge amount, versus someone you got in for a few months when you are busy. Paying for her for hours that suit her and may not suit you may be the best way to do business in the end. She may not do exactly what you want, but she may be bring a whole other level of comfort and engagement that you won't find in a casual worker.

No one will ever love or care for the business like you do. That's just a fact. Don't expect them to. Just ask they give enough back for what you are paying them.

Is dear sister Chrissy the type who would walk out of a movie after 30 minutes? She doesn’t understand the pain of the anal completist. Well maybe the anal part

I know, but having someone you know and trust is worth a huge amount, versus someone you got in for a few months when you are busy. Paying for her for hours that suit her and may not suit you may be the best way to do business in the end. She may not do exactly what you want, but she may be bring a whole other level of comfort and engagement that you won't find in a casual worker.

No one will ever love or care for the business like you do. That's just a fact. Don't expect them to. Just ask they give enough back for what you are paying them.
The problem we have at the moment is, the shop is so deadly quiet in the winter, we can't afford to pay someone to do nothing. We need to open for the hours we set, and paying her for 3 hours a week to sit there when it's closed is a total waste of money.

We have another girl we employed who we didn't know, and she's just as good if not better than our friend.

I don't personally feel that we get anything from the friend that we can't get from someone else we employ, except back chat and demands.

Obviously I don't think Mandy and I are perfect managers and I know we make mistakes, but we always try to be fair.

Is dear sister Chrissy the type who would walk out of a movie after 30 minutes? She doesn’t understand the pain of the anal completist. Well maybe the anal part
I don't think I've ever left a film early. They're usually short enough that time isn't that precious. I have walked out of a few music gigs though, but then I don't like them much anyway.

I happily abandon TV shows if I'm not enjoying them though. They're so very long and I just don't have time to bother with stuff I'm not enjoying.

I don't think I've ever left a film early. They're usually short enough that time isn't that precious. I have walked out of a few music gigs though, but then I don't like them much anyway.

I happily abandon TV shows if I'm not enjoying them though. They're so very long and I just don't have time to bother with stuff I'm not enjoying.

Well I’ve moved onto something a lot more artistically gratifying

It’s a movie that not only has Britney and Beyoncé in it, but also Steven Spielberg as acting credits. Name that movie, dear readers

:o

I'm bored and playing a game on my phone. It often has adverts advertising other games, usually memory games or things like candy crush.

Today I got this!
Screenshot_2022-07-02-14-23-33-34_25a48d52d29d9f72cd0b52ddf13d8913.jpg

Well I’ve moved onto something a lot more artistically gratifying

It’s a movie that not only has Britney and Beyoncé in it, but also Steven Spielberg as acting credits. Name that movie, dear readers
Watch something good! Severance, Succession, a film maybe...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom