MUNA - Anything But Me + self-titled album

I've discovered this band thanks to @Jark and I love them to bits. My favourite album is their first one but some of the songs in the other two are SUBLIME (Home by now in particular is a 11/10 moment).

Are they a bit NICHE? The music is mainstream enough to be played on the radio, I don't understand :-(

They’re niche now but there’s room for mainstream success surely

my god. the August cover is exquisitely gorgeous. very tender.

Saw them last night in Brighton! :disco: Loved it and especially loved Katie, she’s such a fantastic performer. Vocally excellent as well.

An absolute treat to hear some of my MUNA faves live (Stayaway, Taken, Pink Light, Home By Now, Anything But Me to name but a few)

Sadly - for me - a couple of the filler tracks from the latest album also made their way into the setlist (Solid & No Idea) and I really did not to hear them doing Mr Brightside but never mind

I thought it was strange that they only did I Know A Place from the debut. Previous night they performed Everything during the encore but last night it was Shooting Star

Oh and they brought Bimini out to sing Phoebe Bridgers’ part in Silk Chiffon. Fully tone deaf, kinda ruined it

Anyway I still loved it, so happy I’ve seen them live now and MUNA UP

Setlist: https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/muna/2022/chalk-brighton-england-23be5037.html

Last edited:
Also no BODIES? :(

Edit: actually it looks like they’ve never performed it apart from that time on TV?? A travesty

Last edited:
One from the first album seems very light. I mean, No Crying On The Bathroom Floor...

Maybe Mr Brightside isn't so ubiquitous that side of the pond.

Reactions: dUb
no Winterbreak or Loudspeaker? thank god I sold my ticket!

going to a MUNA show expecting Everything as the encore and getting Shooting Star is like ordering a dalmatian on the dark web and being delivered a bouquet of flowers instead.

• Wow
I’m trying with the debut again for you Jarky

I think it’s the trio of Around U/After/Promise that bothers me. Couldn’t hum any of them even while I was listening and I am open to the concept that that’s a me problem 🥴

I like the rest and Everything is a bit stungorge

Around U is perhaps their best song. and definitely has their best lyrics. I'm sure it'll click for u dUbby babes!

I love After too. it's a nice/necessary brooding moment after the explosive pop of the first five tracks.

Promise is the debut's weak point for me. glad you're trying again though hun :disco:

09 So Special
11 Loudspeaker
10 I Know a Place
11 Winterbreak
11 Around U
10 After
07 Promise
09 If U Love Me Now
07 Crying on the Bathroom Floor
09 End of Desire
11 Everything
08 Outro

I ordinarily hate acapella music but this is a bit special

They are SO FUN live, Katie is such a STAR - she seemed a bit overwhelmed that she had earned such a platform too. Almost like she started out playing the role of a popstar, and now it's actually come true? She is THE STAR and the fans adore her. Totally sweet.

I must say What I Want and Kind Of Girl REALLY stand out to me as the best songs from their catalogue. Kind Of Girl got a massive reception live, I really do think it would have been a top 10 smash and reoccurring radio hit had it been released in 1998 :D

that's their first Radio 1 playlisting isn't it? it's quite unusual to see a pop band getting their biggest breakout opportunities three albums deep. love it for them.

I was surprised to see "What I Want" playlisted on Radio 1, but I guess this campaign is still going and it's getting another single.

Oh that's lovely for them (not that I think it will do much to extend their fanbase in 2022 lol)

What I Want is (for me) by far their most accessible and memorable song, so it's nice its had some mainstream recognition.

I love What I Want. It had a video when the album was released so guess them being over here for the tour might have something to do with it being picked up now.

And here is their lovely cover of My Heart Will Go On (!)

I’ve had that Leland song on my playlist for a while now, I had no idea there was a Muna version!

• Wow
the Leland bop is a nice 70s retro moment of whatever. if a bit of a waste of MUNA's talents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom