Michael Parkinson DEAD

I never especially enjoyed him. Half the time the interviews seemed to be him rattling on about something boring about himself/ Yorkshire.

Ooh he was related to my grandmother although it turned out to be in a WRONG SIDE OF THE SHEETS kind of way

Perhaps I'll CRASH THE FUNERAL

giant of the biz obv, but some of his misogyny was quite shocking. most of his interviews with women are total cringe now. still, he wasn't a nonce so RIP!

*Meg Ryan does dance*

6B443C63-87DA-4F22-9E59-75C81BE6E87F.jpeg

My thoughts are with Emu. Who, come to think of it, I haven’t seen in a long time.

It's going to be a BIG DAY for BORING OLD DADS saying "he was great because he never made it about him"

😴

He very much was the master of UK chat shows for decades, wasn't he? Wogan, Aspel, Harty and I'm sure countless others I've forgotten followed very much the same format without his success. And he did get amazing guests on - most of the stars of Hollywood's Golden Age who were still around in the 70s probably appeared on his show.

Still think he was responsible for that car crash with Meg Ryan though. I don't know whether he didn't have the skill to turn that interview around or if he was being deliberately malicious. I suspect the latter.

I think I will need to rewatch the Meg Ryan interview again now. From memory she did seem difficult but I can’t remember if he said something to piss her off that made her turn that way.

Oh she was difficult, undoubtedly. I just don't know why he continued to antagonise her.

The Helen Mirren interview from the 70s/80s was even worse than the Meg Ryan one, only Mirren held her own and made him look like a twat.

His wife and his mother did not get on at all. In fact, they hated each other.

I worked as part of the audience services crew for some episodes of Parkinson back in 1999. His wife and mother both had reserved seating for them and their invited guests at opposite sides of the audience. One as far left as possible, the other to the right.

I won't lie. I had assumed he was already dead, sad for the Parker pen community though. A dark day.

I won't lie. I had assumed he was already dead, sad for the Parker pen community though. A dark day.
But finally that fully financed funeral plan of his gets its TIME TO SHINE

Unless he just pocketed the Parker and didn't keep up with the payments :(

Also i enjoyed this from Popbitch -

>> Parky time <<​
Chang overboard!​

Back when Michael Parkinson was working in Australia, there was a point where Elton John was out on tour over there too. Ever the lavish host, Elton invited Parky and his wife to join him out on a yacht for a little party he was throwing.

Unfortunately, Parky and Mary arrived to the jetty a little too late – just in time to catch the HMS Elton sailing off towards the horizon. A couple of obliging water cops recognised Parky however, so offered the couple a quick ride out to the vessel.

A few minutes later, they were aboard. But far from being happy to see them, Parky was greeted by a furious Elton. It turned out that the rest of the party had mistaken Parky's lift for a police bust, so had lobbed all their gear overboard. Thousands of dollars' worth of narcotics were lost to the deep, ruining the party for everyone – so the Parkinsons were pariahs for the rest of the night.​

Oh she was difficult, undoubtedly. I just don't know why he continued to antagonise her.

I could only find a 3 minute clip on YouTube and it made him look terrible. Meg seemed very uncomfortable and as you said he kept antagonising her. Not how I remember his interviews at all.

I think the blame for the Meg Ryan interview was squarely with him. Looking at it years later he clearly tried to needle her from the off - I am not so sure she went into defensive mode so much as she was confused by what was happening.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom