Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jivafox

the bitch
Pronouns
he/him
It's been 20 years since this career kamikaze of pop perfection was released. Abandoned by her original label Matador after it was swallowed up by Capitol Records, Liz found herself at the mercy of its CEO Andy Slater who had no idea what to do with a woman in her 30s.

The original version of the album, called "Happy Tragic Thing" and then "An Evening with Liz Phair', and produced by Mr Aimee Mann (!) was more stripped back and more in line with whitechocolatespaceegg, met a muted response from the label. Terrified of blowing what she had been told was her one and only shot with a major label, Liz recruited the Matrix, the team behind Avril Lavigne, to rustle up some hits, and the rest is pop history which saw Liz's very respectable career go down in flames. But was it worth it?

Liz_Phair_-_Liz_Phair.jpg

Of course there's THE single

https://youtu.be/qUALb0sGdto

But so many other gems

and OF COURSE

I didn’t realise there was basically a different album recorded, I’d love to hear it, sounds a little more up my street.

‘Red Light Fever’ would make my top 10 Liz tracks for sure. ‘My Bionic Eyes’ is also great. Going to have to give this a play now as it has been a long time.

I didn’t realise there was basically a different album recorded, I’d love to hear it, sounds a little more up my street.
It was basically alternative mixes of some of the songs that made the album, plus the songs from the comeandgetit EP, and a few that remained unreleased. I used to have it on my old laptop but that’s long gone :(

I actually like this album a lot more than her critically acclaimed albums. More serious singer-songwriters should give it all up to record a Hilary Duff album :disco:

The singles, "Little Digger", "Rock Me", and "Red Light Fever" are all 10/10s.

Is there any goodwill toward Somebody's Miracle? I never got into that one aside from the single...

I’ve never heard a Liz Phair album, but I suspect this is my favorite Liz Phair album

I think it got a worse reaction than the self titled :D It’s so MOR but personally I’ve always enjoyed it, I love its lush California beach vibe (which makes sense since she was shagging a hot young surfer at the time)

Bump because

1. I woke up today and chose Liz Phair
2. Fuck you Pitchfork and the misogynistic horse you rode on
3. It's a classic album and belongs in this forum.
4. I am extraordinary
5. Liz Phair - 'Liz Phair'

Oh, JIVA, know what you're like?
You're like my favorite underwear
It just feels right, you know it
Oh, JIVA, know how you feel?
You feel like my favorite underwear
And I'm slipping you on again tonight

d2fb983247f55a3bce32be942331c342.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom