Learning to drive

Dizzy Inner Smile

Moopy Diamond
I'm considering learning to drive, this is something that has held me back in my 20s due to nerves but i'm 35 now and feel it is now or never

I know if I just put it off it will never happen and I don't want that, BUT I literally know next to nothing about it. Is it easy or hard to pick up?

Bad experiences are welcome :)

Took ours in for a service on Friday, it's only 5 years old and some coolant thing is leaking. £670 for that and 2 new tyres needed at £170 each :zombie:

Whether it's easy or hard to pick up depends on you and the person teaching you. I hated learning in my late teens so I gave up learning and used public transport which was in abundance near Manchester, but only four buses a day in leafy Hertfordshire. I decided I absolutely had to learn after a horrific six-hour train journey spent sat between carriages on my own with a small child.

I was 31 when I passed my test and am so glad I did because I love driving now and it makes my life so much easier. I'd suggest booking a taster lesson and seeing how you go, if you don't like the instructor you can always get a new one.

I so needs get road 😂😳 but iam impachant evything yesday do intensive cause big buxs get chrimbo bd etc
Lot haselllll will happen case when

Pink ligers hmmmm 😂

Last year I worked really hard to get my licence, passed my driving test against all odds, got in an accident 2 days later and never drove again 💕

Last edited:
I learned quite late due to a weird sense of something resembling shame that I couldn’t as a male of that age at the time. Completely irrational I know.

It’s handy to have your licence even if you don’t buy a car as it does open up other potential job opportunities and I did find it problematic that some guys who I dated seemed not to like it in the early stages as if there was some assumption they’d be doing all the driving even though I never asked for lifts!

My friends husband mockingly laughed at me when I said I didn't drive. I pointed out I had two degrees and each to their own.

Mr Ag is learning atm and honestly it can't come quickly enough. He's going for £££ jobs in London currently so hopefully a boosted wage can cover such costs.

Not driving is OK 90% of the time, but that 10% is a fucking hassle.

If you want to learn, do it now. At the age you are now, you're far less likely to do it at all if you put it off.

Oh what to do
Just book a taster lesson with an instructor, other than the money what do you have to lose? If you hate it at least you tried and you might find it isn't as bad as you remembered. There are lots more gadgets on cars nowadays like satnav, reversing sensors and (this one freaks me out completely) auto-braking if you're too close to the car in front. My boss's car has a HUD on the windscreen (heads-up display - like fighter planes). Cars even tell you when to change gear now so you don't have to keep checking the revs, mine has a thing for hill-starts where it waits until you have enough revs before it starts going so you don't need to sit there with it on the biting point.

It's all about the practising and soon you don't even think about what you're doing to control the car, it becomes natural.

I gave up driving. I hated it and I couldn't justify owning a car; I was on the insurance for my Dad's car until 2000 and neither needed one nor could I afford one when he emigrated the following year. I suspect I'll never own a car although circumstances can change.

You’re THIRTY FIVE?
Die Season 3 GIF by The Office

Even if you don’t get a car, or drive regularly, I think it is useful to have a license in case you do need to drive.

I’m currently learning and have been for a year. I took one test before Christmas and failed it, and since then have been learning with a new instructor because my last one was a right wing weirdo and wholly inappropriate. New instructor is fab. Please remember this is not just a person who teaches you how to drive, you spend hours and hours with them and it’s really important you gel with them the way you would therapist or a lecturer, mentor for example. It has to work for you.

Anyway, my advice is this: go at your own pace. Some people are naturals and learn quickly, I am not one of those and I’m not ashamed. We are all different and I’m naturally great at other things. I smashed my theory test in one go because I’m a bit geeky but the practical aspect of learning has been challenging for me. If you’re anything like me and prone to anxiety and overthinking it can be really testing but it’s so rewarding when you see improvements and know you’re coming along.

I hope to pass this summer. I don’t intend to be a person who drives all over the country but it would be nice to get from a to b, especially as I live in an area where public transport is shocking.

I’m in my 30s too so a mature learner. On one hand I do wish I’d done it when I was 19 or 20 as I was fearless then and these days it doesn’t take more than a shadow to give me a minor shock.

My instructor had an older lady pass a couple of weeks ago (65!) Her husband drove them both everywhere but once he passed away she really wanted to do it for herself.

It’s never too late, just go at your own pace and don’t let people shame you. Who gives a fuck ultimately if a person drives or not - just do it for you. It’s a choice.

PM me @Dizzy Inner Smile if you want to chat driving stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom