Latvia 2024: Dons - Hollow

auretz

User
The country with the longest running non-qualification streak (tied with Georgia) has announced the line-up for Supernova:

• Agnese Rakovska – “AI”
  • Alekss Silvers – “For The Show”
  • AVÉI – “Mine”
  • B/H – “Amsterdam”
  • Dons – “Hollow”
  • ECTO – “Outsider”
  • Edvards Strazdiņš – “Rock n’ Roll Supernova”
  • Funkinbiz – “Na chystu vodu” (On clear water)
  • Jar of Kings – “Wildfire”
  • Katrīna Gupalo – “The Cat’s Song”
  • Papīra Lidmašīnas – “Mind Breaker”
  • Patrīcija Spale – “Heaven’s Raining Down On Me”
  • Saint Levića – “Tick Tock”
  • Sasha Sil – “Love Is A Language”
  • Vēstulēs – “kur?” (where?)
Dons is nominally the favourite, one of Latvia's biggest acts, but then the last time he was in and considered a surefire winner he lost to Cake To Bake :eyes:

All the songs are out on YouTube, only a few on the below playlist so far:

Tonight we get one of my favourite phenomenons of the NF season, a completely pointless semi final that exists only to humiliate a handful of acts :) 15 acts compete for 10 finalist spots. Although thinking about it, I guess that's the same as an actual ESC semi these days :D

Whilst Dons remains the favourite, "The Cat's Song" is the most traditionally "Latvia-at-Eurovision"

Agnes Rakovska, Patrīcija Spale, B/H, Jar of Kings and Sasha Sil out. No preliminary results announced so a really pointless event in Latvia tonight :D final next weekend

Tonight we get one of my favourite phenomenons of the NF season, a completely pointless semi final that exists only to humiliate a handful of acts :) 15 acts compete for 10 finalist spots. Although thinking about it, I guess that's the same as an actual ESC semi these days :D

Whilst Dons remains the favourite, "The Cat's Song" is the most traditionally "Latvia-at-Eurovision"

THIS MUST QUALIFY!

Televote results from the semis are out:

GFcQSfOWMAAeOAc

Seems rather like a foregone conclusion, but we've been here before with Latvia.

I just realised they haven't qualified since that godawful yellathon from 'best seen not heard' Justs. Poor cows!

Might have qualified if there were still juries in the semis, not convinced it has much hope on televotes. Should’ve been the cat song :evil:

Oh I forgot there’s no juries in the semis anymore! Just put it down now!

A bit unfortunate, but it feels exactly like the kind of thing that might have qualified if it had been by, say, Andrew Lambrou, but probably won't by this man. The exact kind of mid track where a vocalist that pulls in some shallow votes can make all the difference.

As it is it's probably fucked without the juries. (and frankly, what a RELIEF!)

For a song they centres on the voice, he’s quite SHOUTY isn’t he? Do yourself a favour Dons and sing Janet Leon’s Hollow instead

I saw someone on twitter say he looks like a dentist and I can’t unsee it.

• Sad
Reactions: GNL
Hmmm...had the juries still been on hand in the semis I think might have snuck through - in a televote only semi though it's fucked.

There was a little bit of a narrative behind this win, as he was just 97 televotes away from winning with this in 2014, but lost to the Cake To Bake song.

That song was a massive domestic hit. Cake to Bake, not so much.

I was going to say Latvia are in a total funk, but we're also talking about a country that have only qualified 5 times (!) in 20 years. Amazing when you consider how strongly they came out of the gate!

I was fully behind the cat song but I'm confident that this will break their nq streak and could even be a top 10 thanks to a strong jury vote come the final.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom