Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Well this series is going quite well so far, so let's go with a big Banshee icon and one of her most undervalued works.

Even Kate has described this as her "going mad" album, and a rebellion against record company expectations. It's certainly her most aggressive work in places, but I don't think it's actually as barmy (in the context of Kate's work, which is of course all barmy to a certain degree) as its reputation suggests. You can totally see how this was a vital connecting link between the storytelling theatrics of Never For Ever and the perfectly realised mix of high concept and raw emotion of Hounds of Love.

The only hit was Sat In Your Lap, which was released six months prior to the album and is definitely one of her very very best. The title track was an INSANE choice of 'proper' lead single (isn't it ever thus with Kate?), by far the least accessible moment on the album, although it is quite bewitching once you've digested it properly. There Goes A Tenner is a similarly un-commercial oddity, although Suspended In Gaffa (a European hit, allegedly) is a stunning achievement, up there with her very best.

I LOVE the cover too.

Katebushthedreaming.png

10 Sat In Your Lap
08 There Goes A Tenner
10 Pull Out The Pin
11 Suspended In Gaffa
08 Leave It Open
08 The Dreaming
09 Night of the Swallow
10 All The Love
10 Houdini
10 Get Out Of My House

GOD it's actually magnificent when you analyse it properly. I feel bad 'marking down' the three 8's, but there are so many emotionally devastating moments on this album. All The Love is just :(

Last edited:
10 Sat In Your Lap
10 There Goes A Tenner
10 Pull Out The Pin
10 Suspended In Gaffa
10 Leave It Open
10 The Dreaming
10 Night of the Swallow
10 All The Love
10 Houdini
10 Get Out Of My House

Anything less is just silly.

HANDS DOWN her best album for me, and I say that as a total Hounds of Love LOON as well :o

10 Sat In Your Lap
09 There Goes A Tenner
10 Pull Out The Pin
10 Suspended In Gaffa
08 Leave It Open
10 The Dreaming
10 Night of the Swallow
08 All The Love
10 Houdini
11 Get Out Of My House

I absolutely love that incredible RAW voice she uses on Pull Out The Pin and Houdini, interesting that she totally put that particular tool back in the box for the rest of her career :confused:

Get Out of My House contains my absolute favourite Kate Bush :disco: moment of ALL TIME; it's that urgent "No I WON'T let YOU IN" at around the 2:55 mark, something about her delivery (vulnerable but still UTTERLY aloof) as the song shifts into its final phase in the background is truly electrifying.

Last edited:
Pull Out The Pin scared the shit out of me when I first heard it. :D

"I LOVE LIIIFE I LOVE LIIIIFE I LOVE LIIIIIFE"

I imagine if she sang/screamed in the way she did on this album more often, she'd sound like Marianne Faithful these days. Talk about RAW.

As much as I argued above that it makes sense in the context of her career, I bet the record company was AGOG when this landed on their desk. :D And this is the company that let her release stuff like 'Breathing'...

As much as I argued above that it makes sense in the context of her career, I bet the record company was AGOG when this landed on their desk. :D And this is the company that let her release stuff like 'Breathing'...

Well they would've been right! It was this album that led to her brief fall into TOTAL OBSCURITY and the infamous "Where Are They Now" NME article in 1985 (published the same week she performed Running Up That Hill on the Wogan show ie the ultimate FUCK YOU :D So it all worked out in the end...)

... OKAY REMEMBER. Is an amazing opening. I love all the voices. It's just an amazing album.

Reactions: VoR
Still not bad:

10 Sat In Your Lap
10 There Goes A Tenner
10 Pull Out The Pin
10 Suspended In Gaffa
08 Leave It Open
10 The Dreaming
10 Night of the Swallow
10 All The Love
10 Houdini
10 Get Out Of My House

Get Out of My House next to go viral on Tik Tok please!
The whole album should just go viral, but this is the most obvious choice for that particular platform from this particular album.

What with Halloween fast approaching, there's no shortage of Kate songs that can be made to fit into that 'theme'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom