Doctor Who - 2023 and beyond (THE CHURCH ON RUBY ROAD, Christmas Day 5:55pm on BBC1!)

Reheating an old theory from the Eccleston years here, but it might be cool if we don't see the regeneration - then the special next year starts with Tennant in situ doing all his usual Tennant stuff but then Ncuti's Doctor shows up at a pivotal moment, revealing that Jodie DID regenerate into him and Tennant is actually a new incarnation of the Master :shock:

This is fun, I'd have liked little promo things like this more often during the current era:

Just over an hour and a half to go, and I'm certain starting to feel the POWER of the DOCTOR :shock:

I haven't seen ANYTHING of the new stuff, and I'm only dipping back into this tonight because of Ace and Tegan. How confused am I going to be? :D

Hard to say! It looks like they're mostly going to continue plotlines from the series before last, but the main gist of that will be mainly "The Master hates the Doctor" so nothing out of the ordinary there :tongueout: As it's part of the BBC Centenary programming I'm expecting plenty of nods to the entire history of the show, so hopefully it should be quite accessible.

Do we need to know anything about John Bishop, or is he just a random generic scouser who tags along?

“We’re ACE.”

real housewives tamra barney GIF by RealityTVGIFs

The best episode I’ve seen in years.

I’m glad Adric got a mention, and great to see more Paul McGann.

That absolutely wracked my emotions

I'm still recovering!

I think something in her speeches etc struck a nerve.

• Care
Reactions: COB
I hope I'm not the only one who would do unspeakable things to Paul McGann :eyes: Even more nowadays than in the Nineties!

I’m sorry but I was so confused most of that episode (though I know nothing about Tegan and Ace) The Master swapping with the Dr nonsense…then the Gloucester Doctor coming back ?!
All I know is have higher expectations for the next episode

A bit more about the plans for next year:
Three episodes in November 2023 featuring David Tennant as the Fourteenth Doctor, followed by Ncuti Gatwa's debut as the Fifteenth Doctor at Christmas :shock: There had been some speculation that the Tennant episodes might be spread across the year and culminating in November for the 60th anniversary, so at least now we know they're all coming around the same time.

Bizarre to think that this is the THIRD time the Doctor has regenerated into David Tennant.

November 2023? Fuck sake

They've already filmed it!

That's what always annoyed me about DW these days, the massive dragging year-long gaps. Just make and air some bloody episodes.

November 2023? Fuck sake

They've already filmed it!

That's what always annoyed me about DW these days, the massive dragging year-long gaps. Just make and air some bloody episodes.
I was hoping for one on New Year's Day, then maybe Easter and a big celebration for the 60th in November.

Does this mean we will have to wait until 2024 for Ncuti?

Gays, they're not one-off specials like they've done in the past. It's one story split into three episodes, old-Who style. You'd kill the momentum if you showed one at Xmas this year then another one four months later and another one seven months later!

Just think of the FEVER PITCH that will coalesce around the 60th anniversary :disco:

That seems like a very decent overnight figure to me, plus it's bound to do well on catch up too with all the Tennant buzz.

Random scattered thoughts

• In the trailer is the guy in the top hat waving at 10/14 meant to be 11? Cause honestly he looks nothing like Smith. It reminds me of those weird paintings in the first 2005 episode that were supposedly Eccleston's Doctor dotted around time and looked nothing like him
  • Considering they were almost lovers, is this really the boot for Yaz or is she coming back? I thought the whole lesson with Ace and Tegan would be "don't abandon your companions like they never existed" and that would be the basis of him going to restore and Donna and whatnot, but.. did she really just go off to regenerate and leave her behind?!
  • The more I think about the support group the sadder I get. That's how they all end up? Sat there together in big cloud of melancholy talking about the old times? I love the idea that they all end up secretly helping out the Doctor while working for UNIT and love the support group idea a lot less. :(
  • I'm kind of baffled you can stand about 30cm away from a building that's exploding and be absolutely fine. Is there some kind of force field they forgot to write into the dialogue?
  • I wonder if Tom Baker just kind of "made himself unavailable" as a mark of respect for the series, knowing that, you know, it's not been the best series. It had a phenomenal finale IMO (despite my nitpicks above) but I could definitely understand some pessimism.

I fucking hope it's the boot for Yaz. She's already the longest lasting companion in the history of the show (on TV anyway - I guess there's an argument for Ace being longer) and she's one of the SHITTEST.

Last night's was fun, if bonkers.

In the trailer is the guy in the top hat waving at 10/14 meant to be 11?
It's Neil Patrick Harris, who appears to be the villain (or one of them) of these episodes. The fan rumours seem to have settled on him being
the Celestial Toymaker
, but 'Who Knows' :tongueout:

I wonder if this means more money for production?

Ooh! I was just moaning that I’m at the mercy of spotty Amazon Prime availability, so without illegally downloading, I’ve totally lost track of DW in the last 5 years.

I hope the back season (at least the revival) will follow onto Disney+ too

I wondered where the official home of Doctor Who was at the moment - not Netflix, Hulu seems like the best bet, the revival is all there except the Peter Capaldi seasons, but Jodie’s seasons are there… weird

The classic stuff is all on Britbox and then everything from the revival is available on iPlayer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom