Coronavirus

Are you worried about contracting coronavirus?

• Yes, I am absolutely terrified

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Yes, I am slightly concerned

Votes: 35 45.5%
  • I am neither concerned or unconcerned

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • No, I am slightly unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • No, I am totally unconcerned

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Bring back the old poll

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Charlotte Awbrey tits out doing the Macarena

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • I believe VoR is evil

Votes: 11 14.3%

• Total voters
It’s true. Booking our tests just now involved scanning a QR code and filling in a booking form on our phones in Spanish!! A lot of older folk would really struggle with that.
I can't cope with trying to guide my mother around the NHS app and how to access it to prove her vaccinations, just to go the fucking pantomime in a couple of weeks. I dread to think she'd cope trying to get into the country.

"Glad to hear you are already boostered!"

"Me, too"

"But another friendly word of warning - and don't take this the wrong way - but assess your risks this winter. Do you have to go ski touring? Do you have to overtake the lorry or slow car in front of you? When you have winter conditions on the road, can you afford to go a little slower? You seem like you have yourself together and you're responsible - but still, try not to do anything that could get you into ICU. Because right now, there's no guarantee there is a bed available in the next best hospital in this region."

An actual conversation with my doctor during my routine check at the hospital this morning. :zombie:

"Glad to hear you are already boostered!"

"Me, too"

"But another friendly word of warning - and don't take this the wrong way - but assess your risks this winter. Do you have to go ski touring? Do you have to overtake the lorry or slow car in front of you? When you have winter conditions on the road, can you afford to go a little slower? You seem like you have yourself together and you're responsible - but still, try not to do anything that could get you into ICU. Because right now, there's no guarantee there is a bed available in the next best hospital in this region."

An actual conversation with my doctor during my routine check at the hospital this morning. :zombie:
Good point from him! I'll personally be waiting until after the pandemic to drive recklessly on ice

So we're now at level 4 alert, and yes the focus is rightfully on vaccines, but why can't he just say 'you MUST wear a mask indoors'. That would also help with this tidalwave we're about to get.

We've had another at work test positive. 2 in 3 days, and that's with full on PPE wearing.

I'm looking to see if I can bring my booking forward but unsurprisingly the booking website keeps crashing.

Yes the alternative message of "please think about staying in a bit more, and wearing masks if you are out" wasn't anywhere to be seen.

I'll be interested to see how busy the bus into and out of work is tomorrow, and the general state of rush hour. I'd say the buses have been at about 80% capacity the last month or so.

Glad they haven't felt the need for a 4th lockdown just yet.

If vaccination is as efficient as it was when I went in today, then we're in a good place...

My pay is like 50% higher in December than any other month so rather selfishly I really don’t want any restrictions before Christmas.

Today was the first day we noticed a drop in trade, other than that it’s been RAMMED all week.

I don't think another lockdown is an option. For the simple fact that they can't afford to restart the furlough scheme.

On the basis that all data suggest Omicron is mild, especially in the vaccinated, I find it very hard to give a shit about this surprise Christmas remix.

It’s true that this variant is good news on an individual, especially if you’ve been vaccinated.

On a larger scale it still has the potential to be extremely disruptive, but who cares until the pubs close again, right?

From what I saw the research out of Israel and UK shows that a booster with Pfizer provides pretty solid protection against mild symptoms of Omicron(between 70-75%) depending on what you had first time round, but if you´ve only had 2 shots your protection is pretty much ZILCH after 6 months.

But yes even with the booster shots, with the relatively small number of people that do get sick its still likely to cause massive disruption.

Is there any research that shows what sort of protection you have if you’ve already had covid though? Not seeing much of that.

My doctor giving me the flu jab today was telling me to get the booster ASAP. I know they’ve reduced the time between having covid and getting booster from 3 months to 1 month but that’s seems awfully short to me. I really do want to wait until next year to get it. But she’s thrown me right out now!

For every instance of "it's only mild" I'm still seeing an equal amount of "...but those affected in SA are mostly young and healthy" and "we just don't have enough data yet to be sure"

Based on previous variants etc, I think we'll be saying "too early, not enough data" for a few months.. or it always feels like it anyway..

I think Christmas seems safe THANK GOD. January onwards looks pretty bumpy though.

Are they likely to stop people drinking inside pubs again in the middle of Winter? Without any financial help for the hospitality industry they have no chance at all.

Doubt it but I guess the next week or so will tell, if it suddenly goes batshit.

I'd quite like to be in the pubs again for NYE but it seems questionable...

Is there any research that shows what sort of protection you have if you’ve already had covid though? Not seeing much of that.

My doctor giving me the flu jab today was telling me to get the booster ASAP. I know they’ve reduced the time between having covid and getting booster from 3 months to 1 month but that’s seems awfully short to me. I really do want to wait until next year to get it. But she’s thrown me right out now!
HerSerene and I are in the same position as you and so I’ve been asking around, and it seems like it’s okay for now? I asked yesterday on here and Pingu and big Ron were helpful and said we’re in a good position.

Anyway, they need to close the schools as it’s gone back to being a disaster. Classes closing, teachers now testing positive daily. Everyone left is pretty worried, and yet they force the schools to stay open when we’ve clearly seen shutting them has a big impact.

I've heard stories locally of parents purposely choosing to keep their kids out of school this week 'so Christmas isn't ruined'. Are any moopy teachers/parents hearing anything like that?

I've heard stories locally of parents purposely choosing to keep their kids out of school this week 'so Christmas isn't ruined'. Are any moopy teachers/parents hearing anything like that?
We had a phone call today from a parent asking us how we were going to guarantee their child didn’t get covid this week :)

Our school has said that parents can remove their children from class if they wish.

The schools are in trouble over here though. So many out sick and no subs to cover.

My son is now off school until after the Christmas holidays, and my daughter now works for a local energy firm who are working from home so all is good there. i have had little choice as we have a fair few coming over from Ireland and after last year I don’t want ANYTHING to ruin it.

Things do seem to be escalating at a fair pace though, so I suppose everything could still change at this point. :(

We had an email from school, they're at the panto today, but as lots of kids are off they've stumped up for access to an online version of one for those missing out. How very 2021.

It’s true that this variant is good news on an individual, especially if you’ve been vaccinated.

On a larger scale it still has the potential to be extremely disruptive, but who cares until the pubs close again, right?

At the risk of sounding like Piers Corbyn how long do we live cowering in the shadow of potential - I'm double jabbed, I wear a mask, I was my hands while doing the hokey fucking kokey. Everything is potentially disruptive, the climates on its arse, late stage capitalism is one more financial crisis away from failure, nuclear war with Russia is just around the corner. Until omicron is a threat it isn't, just like everything else, so I'll keep trying to look at it positively.

HerSerene and I are in the same position as you and so I’ve been asking around, and it seems like it’s okay for now? I asked yesterday on here and Pingu and big Ron were helpful and said we’re in a good position.

Anyway, they need to close the schools as it’s gone back to being a disaster. Classes closing, teachers now testing positive daily. Everyone left is pretty worried, and yet they force the schools to stay open when we’ve clearly seen shutting them has a big impact.

I remember before they were saying you had 6 months protection following covid. However since then people have found that they've caught it within 6 months. I do think you've got some additional protection and there's no rush to have the booster.
I think for me with work I feel quite exposed, so felt it was better to get the additional protection from the booster.

there's no rush to have the booster.
The evidence so far suggests there is. Two doses, especially AZ, seems to be providing little protection against Omicron.

Surely, if your doctor is saying this, then that should be enough to put your mind at rest and just get the booster?

Imm curious if I actually had this variant as reading the symptoms I had them all, starting with a text to ms ron about my scratchy throat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom