Best version of 'Take Me Home'?

I'm in heaven

• Total voters

GinAg (39)

User
Pronouns
He/Him
Cher or Sophie Ellis-Bextor? Since there's a debate and we love our queens.

Cher’s version is one of the best disco songs EVER.

That wa wa guitar intro… :disco:

I like both, but Sophie's version just has that little bit more joie de vivre...

I like both, but Sophie's version just has that little bit more joie de vivre...

This is the most ridiculous comment yet.

I mean, I love SEB’s version but her arch, tongue in cheek delivery has none of the joyous emotion of Cher’s.

FEELS LIKE HEAVEEENNNNNNNN vs those blank Take Me Homes in the outro. NAH.

I prefer the Sophie version but that Cher performance is :disco:

The sheer chic Cher cheer and abandon from the original wins this through its unquenchable disco and foghorn fantasia, but the polished pop package from SEB is still a dazzling, detached thrill and really did indicate the surprise arrival of a genuine new star (who many of us already knew, but just never expected to see at the front of the pack like this - and Sophie Muller an incredible choice of director).

Which is what provoked the whole debate. I knew people were thinking that- and I’d argue that lack of familiarity is why most of the votes are given to SEB.

Admittedly, it wasn’t a hit here, but it’s a PROPER Cher classic in the US, where it went top ten.

It’s also a PROPER gay disco classic. And whilst talking of gay classics, this FIERCE HETEROSEXUALITY ( :D ) of this video has to be SEEN TO BE BELIEVED:

:disco:

Last edited:
Cher is more HORNY DISCO CHIC whilst SEB is more of a SULTRY EARLY '00s POP DANCE GEM

It really is HARD

Cher is more HORNY DISCO CHIC whilst SEB is more of a SULTRY EARLY '00s POP DANCE GEM

It really is HARD

SEB changed the lyrics (and took a songwriting credit STRAIGHT from the BANANARAMA school of CHANGE A WORD TAKE A THIRD :disco: ) because the original lyrics were considered too rude. Too much "I'm in ecstasy" and "making love" for a 2000s teen audience apparently. Hence the (A Girl Like Me) suffix in the SEB version.

SEB changed the lyrics (and took a songwriting credit STRAIGHT from the BANANARAMA school of CHANGE A WORD TAKE A THIRD :disco: ) because the original lyrics were considered too rude. Too much "I'm in ecstasy" and "making love" for a 2000s teen audience apparently. Hence the (A Girl Like Me) suffix in the SEB version.
This struck me as a little ODD. The Cher version is easily more overt, and SEB's much more suggestive.

This struck me as a little ODD. The Cher version is easily more overt, and SEB's much more suggestive.

Don't know if that report at the time was wrong (or just sensationalist- I mean, Cher clearly couldn't give TWO FUCKS about a British cover version twenty years on) but fairly recently, SEB said it the other way around in an interview, that the record company had said she'd had to tone it down.

I would say that SEB's definitely sounds more TONED DOWN than the original which let's face it is more of a TONED DOWN Donna Summer VIBE from the HORNY DISCO ERA

SEB even though Cher is obviously the superior vocalist. SEBs version still sounds fresh now - ultra modern and sophisticated.

Don't know if that report at the time was wrong (or just sensationalist- I mean, Cher clearly couldn't give TWO FUCKS about a British cover version twenty years on) but fairly recently, SEB said it the other way around in an interview, that the record company had said she'd had to tone it down.
In her autobiography Sophie said she completely made that up on the spot and the NME went with it.

she said she'd lied in the interview for shits and giggles? :D SO WHAT'S THE TRUTH?

In her autobiography Sophie said she completely made that up on the spot and the NME went with it.

Maybe that's where I'm remembering it from as I loved that autobiography.

Still, the point remains, that Cher's version remains the HORNY OLD GOAT of proceedings :disco:

Actually, I just listened to both side by side and I will comment on something.

Whilst I do enjoy the polish and sass of Sophie’s, I must admit it’s a very soulless vocal from her. Is this intentional? I’m not sure if it is, or if it’s just because she’s… limited.

Actually, I just listened to both side by side and I will comment on something.

Whilst I do enjoy the polish and sass of Sophie’s, I must admit it’s a very soulless vocal from her. Is this intentional? I’m not sure if it is, or if it’s just because she’s… limited.

I do think that was the point. I used the word "arch" earlier. Her whole image at that point was aloof...

Take Me Home was just a continuation of the icy, aloof delivery she had presented in her role with theaudience.

Yes, fair points made. I was a kid when she burst onto the scene and I do remember sort of viewing her as a posh unusual supermodel woman.

Of course she’s become much more multifaceted since, but if the shoe fits…

Yes, she’s very good at that whole persona but she’s often said it was like a default self defence mechanism. I think softening and appearing warmer with time has really helped her longevity as people have got to see what she’s really like. A bit like when people got to see a bit more of what Dannii Minogue was really like as a person in her final X Factor years.

Yes, she’s very good at that whole persona but she’s often said it was like a default self defence mechanism. I think softening and appearing warmer with time has really helped her longevity as people have got to see what she’s really like. A bit like when people got to see a bit more of what Dannii Minogue was really like as a person in her final X Factor years.

100%. So much of it was a reaction to the way the media portrayed her.

I've been mincing around the house to both versions of Take Me Home this morning, defeating the object of the song really. I'd say I prefer Sophie's version.

If I were a popstar, I think I'd be like her (a flop at times, but also often injecting my very dry sense of humour and deadpan delivery into things).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom