A Thread For Discussing Disasters

Biescas campsite disaster, for your horror collection, @ButterTart.

I stayed in this camping site exactly a year before this happened.

I also always take the train that crashed in Santiago de Compostela to go visit my parents when I'm over in Spain.

And I was round the corner from Aldgate when the 7/7 bomb went off, in fact we were stopped by the police for nearly an hour as there was talk that another bomb could go off at any minute.

I'm basically the BLACK WIDOW :disco:

Germanwings Flight 9525 is one that haunts me. Especially this from the wiki:

During the descent, the co-pilot did not respond to questions from air traffic control, nor transmit a distress call. Robin said contact from the Marseille air traffic control tower, the captain's attempts to break in, and Lubitz's steady breathing were audible on the cockpit voice recording. The screams of passengers in the last moments before impact were also heard on the recording.

I like reading about some of the older disasters more than the new ones, such as the Oppau explosion. That happened in Germany in 1921, where they had a big pile of ammonium nitrate sulphate which had hardened into rock. They needed to break it up to sell it as fertiliser but they had tested the pile and found that it was insensitive to detonation so they decided to break it up using dynamite. Ammonium nitrate is the stuff that went up in the Tianjin explosions and the rocky stuff turned out not to be insensitive to detonation after all. More than 500 people were killed and damage was done more than 50 miles away. The crater in the below picture is where the big pile used to be.
Oppau-Explosion-1921.jpg

I like reading about some of the older disasters more than the new ones, such as the Oppau explosion. That happened in Germany in 1921, where they had a big pile of ammonium nitrate sulphate which had hardened into rock. They needed to break it up to sell it as fertiliser but they had tested the pile and found that it was insensitive to detonation so they decided to break it up using dynamite. Ammonium nitrate is the stuff that went up in the Tianjin explosions and the rocky stuff turned out not to be insensitive to detonation after all. More than 500 people were killed and damage was done more than 50 miles away. The crater in the below picture is where the big pile used to be.
Oppau-Explosion-1921.jpg
Chemicals/ammo dumps going up always make for quite mental reading. Never seen that photo before, although I assume the disaster itself must be somewhere on my tasteful spreadsheet. I'm sure there was a similar explosion in Halifax, Canada, and I know there was one in Staffordshire during WWII.

Halifax was an ammunition ship, I think. There was the Texas City Disaster which involved a fire on a ship carrying ammonium nitrate, where the water in the harbour started to boil around the ship shortly before it blew up.

Halifax was an ammunition ship, I think. There was the Texas City Disaster which involved a fire on a ship carrying ammonium nitrate, where the water in the harbour started to boil around the ship shortly before it blew up.
Shit, I really need to read up on these older disasters. I don't tend to go back much further than the 60s, but there's some fascinating stuff back in the black and white days. Can't remember the name of that one in Staffordshire, I'm sure it was during or just after the war.

I had not heard of either of these. The Balvano one is just... tragic and awful, especially due to not really being the fault of anyone involved. Quintinshill is awful too, but more baffling. Are there any others you'd recommend reading up on? Really deadly ones only please!
Thought you might like this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connellsville_train_wreck
Especially the bit about the steam dome discharging into the carriage and literally cooking everyone alive.

I’ve just discovered the Facebook app’s ‘Crisis Response’ tab. Real time feed of disasters worldwide which you can use to check whether your friends are okay.

There’s been a burst dam in Uzbekistan today apparently.
I’ve used that when I got stuck in a wildfire :disco:

It got one like..

I don't normally laugh at children dying, but that tag had me howling yesterday :D

Sometimes we all have to make an exception.

I don’t remember if @Ag ever connected the two in the old dotmusic Abba forum days, but I can only imagine the reaction it got if he did.

Sometimes we all have to make an exception.

I don’t remember if @Ag ever connected the two in the old dotmusic Abba forum days, but I can only imagine the reaction it got if he did.
Oh yes that was me. They loved it so much.

Growing up in Wales we would often get a wonderful retelling of the Aberfan disaster for story time at school every time the class misbehaved. :disco:

Growing up in Wales we would often get a wonderful retelling of the Aberfan disaster for story time at school every time the class misbehaved. :disco:
Jesus, I hope they don’t do the same thing to kids in Italy, they’d be spoilt for choice. ‘Now don’t be naughty or we’ll make you use public transport or cross a bridge’

We also had a story about a boy getting his face ripped off by a tiger at the zoo because he got too close to the cage.

I think Mrs Roberts just hated kids.

Reactions: Zu
Jesus, I hope they don’t do the same thing to kids in Italy, they’d be spoilt for choice. ‘Now don’t be naughty or we’ll make you use public transport or cross a bridge’
Omg the GENOA BRIDGE DISASTER! I was there LAST YEAR!

We also had a story about a boy getting his face ripped off by a tiger at the zoo because he got too close to the cage.

I think Mrs Roberts just hated kids.
Mrs Roberts was awesome. Our teacher was far too soft, if kids misbehaved she rewarded them with an overnight stay at a fancy guest house in London (the Elms, if memory serves). Most of them liked it so much they never came back!

Anyway, back to good old British disasters, what about the Dibbles Bridge coach crash, eh? Oh and the Top Storey in Bolton - I used to walk right past the site of that one.

I remember when that nuclear bomb exploded over the Tinsley Viaduct up the road in Sheffield :(

Having been to Sheffield a few times I guessed that. Mind you, lovely La Tasca on Eccleshall Road.
Oh I’ve never been there, or indeed anywhere on Ecclesall Road as it’s the opposite end to moi. I highly recommend Cutlery Works on you’re next visit, provided there isn’t a FORK DISASTER before then.

We were made to feel bad about Aberfan as well. I think it traumatised a whole generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom