Who are your favourite Enya WANNABES?

VoR

Take it or leave it
For every Britney Spears there's a Mandy Moore, after all.

Personally I'm quite partial to a bit of LOREENA MCKENNITT and her scholarly celtic wailing.

The incomparable Lisa Gerrard is far from an Enya wannabe but some people seem to think that her 'Now We Are Free' is Enya which is very obviously is not unless one has cloth ears. (It's also not my favourite by her by a VERY long shot)

I was very briefly enamoured with this rip-off when it was released

But that is still a pale imitation of the queen. The Enya wannabes often use the same imagery/subject matter or do a bit of vocal layering etc. but they can very rarely actually replicate her sound

VERY pale and tbh a little bit rude. Iโ€™m not liking the look of Emily Possum

Also NOBODY IN THE WORLD can afford equipment as expensive as that used by Enya approximately every six years at AIGLE!

There are a few similar artists; not sure if they all count as wannabes. The vocals and presentation are too different to compare to Enya ๐Ÿ˜…

Nelly Furtado is okay (there was an interview from the World Music Awards in 2006 - same event where Enya adjusts the microphone height - where Nelly Furtado talked about Enya inspirations in the music, etc.) I like 'Broken Strings' with James Morrison too, as well as this song๐Ÿฆ

Also Natalie Imbruglia ๐Ÿ˜Š

Imbruglia's best is Shiver ๐Ÿ’™

๐ŸŽถ

Last edited:
No idea if Our Caz has ever been mentioned here before or not. I was introduced to her as 'the woman whose album William Orbit produced before he did Ray of Light'.... (the whole album is amazing if you haven't heard it)

Caroline Lavelle!

• Love
Reactions: Zu
There are various male artists (or their producers) who seem like Enya wannabes too :D
I like James Blunt; You're Beautiful is one of my favourite songs ๐Ÿค—

Also this one sung by Mike Posner 'Speed of Sound' (Enya's 'turn it up' from Orinoco Flow is sampled) โ˜บ๏ธ๐Ÿ’ญ

Another Orinoco sample/interpolation - sung by Iyaz 'Get Away' :cool:โ›ต

And another 'Sail Away' by David Gray โ˜บ๏ธโ›ต

(There are more Enya links with their music which I may elaborate on another time...) ๐Ÿ˜…

I bet Enya has :grin:
Sometime last year I found that Echoes In Rain (2015) mashes up very well with Replay by Iyaz (2009) ๐Ÿคฏ (same key signature, chord progression, similar phrasing)
This was the first variation I made of it ๐Ÿ˜…

Something more Celtic - I quite like Maggie Reilly, and her re-recording of Moonlight Shadow is rather good ๐Ÿ˜Š

Enya was actually asked to collaborate with Mike Oldfield c. 1983 (likely to sing Moonlight Shadow) but contracts prevented her somehow. Imagine if Enya did a cover ๐Ÿ’ก

I also like Maggie's cover of These Dreams by Heart, and some other bits and bobs she recorded. Her early songs with Cado Belle were also quite cool and soulful ๐Ÿ˜Ž

To clarify, to qualify as an Enya wannabe, you just have to have slow songs? Or sample enya or even just a song she sampled?

Wasnโ€™t the recent Kelly Lee Owens album supposed to be like a combination of Enya and Throbbing Gristle, which I was certainly here for? Admittedly Iโ€™ve hardly listened to it but Iโ€™m fairly sure it WASNโ€™T!

To clarify, to qualify as an Enya wannabe, you just have to have slow songs? Or sample enya or even just a song she sampled?
No idea - maybe not even a singer, if Ghislaine Maxwell counts - a handful more of those ๐Ÿ˜…

:sad:

Last edited:
I was yet to mention another actual favourite, Tasmin Archer!
If only she had more recognition for her other fascinating songs since her 'Great Expectations' album, featuring the brilliant Sleeping Satellite ๐Ÿคฉ

Rather like Enya's Book of Days music video the same year (1992) ๐Ÿ“– ๐ŸŒซ๏ธ๐Ÿ’™ and Anywhere Is (different director, 1995) is similarly awesome:
๐Ÿช„
I think it was more the aesthetic, or that the media teams copied, as Tasmin's songs are generally quite different to what Enya sings.

Also part of a trio with 2 Johns, one of whom she is married to. Following EMI disputes they made their own record label, Quiverdisc ๐Ÿ“€
A song and fun music video from 2007, quite like Only If by Enya in 1997, just as catchy - Sedan ๐ŸŽถ
Tasmin seems great on her own Twitter account (perhaps even slower than Enya at writing/releasing new music, but definitely was working on something new in 2020 according to this Tweet :D )

Lawrence Dunmore designed both their album covers (and the Enya logo) - these cover designs seemed similarly starry ๐Ÿค—๐ŸŒŸ

Sleeping Satellite - Wikipedia
Paint the Sky With Stars: The Best of Enya by Enya: Amazon.co.uk: CDs &  Vinyl

๐ŸŒ  ๐ŸŒ 

I hadn't heard of Caroline Lavelle before this thread; her music does sound rather nice ๐ŸŽผ and she plays the cello :happy:
(I play violin ๐ŸŽปbut not really at professional level, haha)

I don't think she was really a 'wannabe' of her sisters but Brรญdรญn Brennan (Enya's youngest sister by 7 years or so) released one solo album in 2005 - she wrote some good songs, like this:

She directs a choir group nowadays ๐Ÿ—ฃ๐ŸŽต
Her 2005 interview and 2001 article are nice reads ๐Ÿ˜Š [1] [2]

Last edited:
Gala Rizzatto - best known for the 90s song that is now a football chant, Freed From Desire :D ๐ŸŽต

The song 'Come Into My Life' which shares its name with the album is another one I quite like๐Ÿ’ƒ๐ŸŒƒ:

I was listening to Enya and got recommended Freed From Desire last year ๐Ÿ˜„ I'd roughly heard of the song from the football, but not of Gala herself before seeing this. As a performer she is rather active; in interviews etc. she seems more Enya-ish, quite calm and thoughtful. ๐Ÿ˜Š

How could I forget Estonia's Evelin Samuel.

Came 6th in Eurovision 1999.

The Estonian version of this came 2nd in the national final in 1998.

These three artists are ambiguously similar to Enya, I think... ๐Ÿ˜…

The song by The Beautiful South - Rotterdam (Or Anywhere) has been in my head today ๐Ÿ˜„

Maybe it's the quirky lyrics (much more subtle in some of Enya's songs, like My My Time Flies or Anywhere Is) ?
It sounds okay to be mixed with Enya's Someone Said Goodbye/the remix (this) ๐ŸŽต
This 2022 performance by Paul Heaton and Jacqui Abbot; singing still sounds great ๐Ÿ˜Š
A 1996 song almost predicting the 2020s Eurovision host cities "Rotterdam or anywhere, Liverpool or Rome", haha ๐Ÿ’ก

I thought this was a song written by Rod Stewart, but that's a cover too (this was the original)

Amy Belle was busking in Glasgow in 2004 when Rod Stewart found her, and she got to sing 'I Don't Want To Talk About It' with him that evening:

Her voice is different to Enya, but Amy Belle's music video for 'Didn't I Say' is a somewhat more wild copy of 'It's In The Rain' -see this :eyes:
I saw some rather good buskers in Glasgow, 2014 (as well as some athletes for the Commonwealth Games that year) ๐Ÿด๓ ง๓ ข๓ ณ๓ ฃ๓ ด๓ ฟ I quite like Scottish singing voices :)

With all due respect, why is Tracey Thorn on the cover?
Haha, I see the similarities (it was this AI-generated image of Enya that I used for the 'Moonbow' concept ๐Ÿ˜…) , more so when she had dark hair.

I don't think I'd heard of Tracey Thorn before this mention, but glad I know of her now ๐Ÿ˜
Here is her cover of 'I Don't Want To Talk About It':

(Similar suit style in the late 80s ๐Ÿ‘” see this mashup 'I Tomorrow Want To Talk About It' :wink:)
Yet to listen to more music from Everything But The Girl and other Tracey Thorn songs, but they are really interesting from what I have heard so far, and she has a nice voice, even with age. I saw the music video for 'Sister' from 2018, and also just saw that EBTG is returning (rather soon, with a new album on 21st April!)
Hope 'Fuse' does well! (and it would be great if Enya also releases some new music this year too) :D ๐Ÿช„๐ŸŽถ

Random extra thing, I liked seeing the 1983 archive footage on the main ETBG YouTube channel๐Ÿ’ก
(It would be interesting to see something like that on the enyatv channel, such as random early footage of the Enya trio :disco:)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom