A Journey Through SAW

It must be one of the RoL singles, surely? The clothes, the sets, the production - they look streets ahead of the other SAW videos that spring to mind.

That was my train of thought and WDIHTD in particular.

You also have to remember she was PWL label, so surely they had a big say in the budget, yes, but she was also their cash cow. They were at the point where her demands were being (at least more) listened to.

You also have to remember she was PWL label, so surely they had a big say in the budget, yes, but she was also their cash cow. They were at the point where her demands were being (at least more) listened to.
Perhaps this is why David Howells sounds so bitter whenever he is interviewed. :D

I still can’t see them financing all of David Thomas’s trips to the top fashion houses at the time.

Is that the guy who did all the clothes on the RoL videos? I don't think he came off bitter at all! He seems like a genuine fan who pulled in a lot of favours for her when the high fashion types looked down their noses at pop stars...

Is that the guy who did all the clothes on the RoL videos? I don't think he came off bitter at all! He seems like a genuine fan who pulled in a lot of favours for her when the high fashion types looked down their noses at pop stars...
Nooo. David Howells was the managing director of PWL and basically the person who signed Kylie.

David Thomas, who you refer to, was Kylie’s stylist at the time and they are still friends to this day!

Reactions: VoR
Have you not listened to the rest of the podcast VoR? You should. It’s a hoot.

Perhaps this is why David Howells sounds so bitter whenever he is interviewed. :D

I still can’t see them financing all of David Thomas’s trips to the top fashion houses at the time.

On Please Yourself Bananarama did credit David Thomas as the inexpensive jewel in their crown!

Didn’t David Thomas also say that it was the start of stars being “given” clothes by fashion houses? I don’t think popping to Paris to pick up a few clothes for Kylie which were probably free was going to break the bank.

OT: Mr Sheena and I heard Hazell’s Who’s Leaving Who in the wild today, on a radio station in a charity shop. He said out loud- “oh I love this one, good old Aretha” to which I was obviously incredulous and it turned out for nigh on 40 years, he’s confused Who’s Zoomin’ Who and Who’s Leaving Who and thought the latter was sung by the Queen of Soul… :D

I've never heard RSVP before. Should've went to Lonnie, it's quite good!

I wish I could type the Lonnie sound effects that were my reaction to that (seek out A God That Can Dance for examples - the one on Spotify isn't the amazing one I'm familiar with and the sound is horribly off).

Lonnie was DONE DIRTY after "Better Off Without You" was given to Hazell Dean whose cheap sounding cover created a Top 72 SMASH HIT in 1991. Let's bask in the glory of the definitive version.

I've learned my LESSON
It was a BLESSON
in disguise.

Lonnie was DONE DIRTY after "Better Off Without You" was given to Hazell Dean whose cheap sounding cover created a Top 72 SMASH HIT in 1991. Let's bask in the glory of the definitive version.

I've learned my LESSON
It was a BLESSON
in disguise.

I prefer Haze’s version solely due to that rhyming choice Lonnie made.

I seriously hope the Hazebo version is this:

I've learned my LESSON
It was a LEZ-BEE-YON
in disguise.

Listening to it now.

Have we all sent them requests to continue with Kylie? :kim:

Matt is a bit of a character. If nothing else, his anecdotes will be missed from here on in. He is back working with Mike Stock again now, isn't he?

Much as it would be a backward step (and I wouldn't want to give Mike Stock the privilege), there is a small part of me that is curious to know what a modern Stock/Aitken (cos let's face it Pete did nothing) Kylie record would sound like.

Also there was (surprisingly) a lot of Gayle and Gillian content in the episode -maybe they were the straw that broke the camel's back for Matt.

I've learned my LESSON
It was a BLESSON
in disguise.

BOTH were awful. There's almost nothing happening in that second line of the chorus

Also there was (surprisingly) a lot of Gayle and Gillian content in the episode -maybe they were the straw that broke the camel's back for Matt.

It was interesting how they seemingly had bad memories but everyone around them went on about how lovely they were to work with.

The vocal production notes were super interesting too- All Mixed Up really is rubbish vocally but I always thought their hi-nrg cover of I Wanna Be Your Lover was a) really well sung and b) surprisingly good. I loved it at the time and even bought the cd single. I guess the “this will do” was based around being forced to do shite for Pete. By this point, what was left other than Kylie? Literally just dross…

This is the newest example of Mike Stock's very expensive sounding output. There's probably a huge waiting list of artistés chomping at the bit to work with him so Kylie would be lucky to receive a reply by SMS.

It was interesting how they seemingly had bad memories but everyone around them went on about how lovely they were to work with.
Apart from Mike, who it appears is just CUNTY about most people.

The vocal production notes were super interesting too- All Mixed Up really is rubbish vocally but I always thought their hi-nrg cover of I Wanna Be Your Lover was a) really well sung and b) surprisingly good. I loved it at the time and even bought the cd single. I guess the “this will do” was based around being forced to do shite for Pete. By this point, what was left other than Kylie? Literally just dross…

The Prince cover was sacrilege! With regards to their vocals, there is a clip of them performing LIVE on Blue Peter and Gillian distinctly had the stronger prowess of the two despite Gayle being given the lead on one of their follow up singles, as mentioned in the pod. I preferred Gillian in Neighbours anyway.

Their remix of Every Day’s Like Christmas was ok (unless that wasn't really their work).

:D That is ATROCIOUS (but deservedly so, sorry @lolly ).
Don't apologise, I think it's shite too and haven't touched their last two albums.

Stock only produced it, though. It's an 80s Paul McCartney song.

Apart from Mike, who it appears is just CUNTY about most people.

The Prince cover was sacrilege! With regards to their vocals, there is a clip of them performing LIVE on Blue Peter and Gillian distinctly had the stronger prowess of the two despite Gayle being given the lead on one of their follow up singles, as mentioned in the pod. I preferred Gillian in Neighbours anyway.
Rubbish! Snob!

Take it for what it is and it’s a great camp little pop song. Match the original? Course not. But it’s fun.

If Mike Stock hadn't turned into a total tosser, I'd hold him in higher esteem - he and Matt (and to a lesser extent Pete Hammond, Phil Harding, Ian Curnow and Pete Day) really were the creative force of PWL.

I am looking forward to the podcast covering the Angel K era of Let's Get To It though. I'm curious to see who came up with that.

Rubbish! Snob!

Take it for what it is and it’s a great camp little pop song. Match the original? Course not. But it’s fun.
I watched the video after listening to the podcast light night. I think their vocal performance is questionable. Or maybe I was just distracted by the stolen Rick Astley riff.

I watched the video after listening to the podcast light night. I think their vocal performance is questionable. Or maybe I was just distracted by the stolen Rick Astley riff.

I’m not saying it’s Donna Summer levels here but there’s a belt in the verses that isn’t there on All Mixed Up. There’s definitely either been vocal training or using the better twin more and certainly better vocal production.

Hearing the two 'plot tracks' for Word Is Out was illuminating. An interesting episode as ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom