Tina Turner: Tina (HBO Documentary)

Sheena

ROMANCE
Anyone watched this yet? It's harrowing, honest and obviously 100% on her side, but fuck me, what a life, what a woman. And what a fucking song this is...

I have a new docupic recorded on Sky Documentaries to watch, I hope it’s the same thing.

It was brilliant but there wasn’t anything new in it that the movie didn’t already cover. Still enjoyed it and yes what an amazing woman.

I loved this, but didn’t really learn anything new - only getting frustrated for her in all of those interviews post-movie and autobiography still asking her about Ike.

Oh, and the Bucks Fizz revelation was mind blowing. I’m sure you all knew that one.

I loved this, but didn’t really learn anything new - only getting frustrated for her in all of those interviews post-movie and autobiography still asking her about Ike.

Oh, and the Bucks Fizz revelation was mind blowing. I’m sure you all knew that one.

Yeah, there was nothing new, but then the story has been told on numerous occasions.

I quite liked that randomly in a documentary for a US market there was a FAIR CONVERSATION about Bucks Fizz :D

And yes, we all knew. They went through a period of doing songs first that others made bigger- see also Cher's Heart of Stone

I just googled the Bucks Fizz story, I had no idea either. I knew Bonnie has been covered left right and centre more successfully.

It's well made, but glossed over her estranged son (or whatever the situation is) and I didn't know how 'orrible her mom was (the mouth wobbling with nothing but guilt I assume).

Loved the concert footage. I feel that's where she truly left her mark.

Really, was there ever any female artist who played concerts in stadiums before Tina Turner and Madonna? I know Diana Ross had those huge one-off shows in Central Park, but never really a full stadium tour as far as I know.

Really, was there ever any female artist who played concerts in stadiums before Tina Turner and Madonna? I know Diana Ross had those huge one-off shows in Central Park, but never really a full stadium tour as far as I know.

Weren't stadium tours actually an invention of the 80s, though?

It did annoy me when they referred to Tina Turner as "the biggest female pop star in the world" at the point of Private Dancer...not EXACTLY true... :D

She took it to a whole other level live. I always enjoyed her music rather than loved it but at her concerts I was totally captivated. Similar to P!nk nowadays in that respect not that I’m equating them.

It did annoy me when they referred to Tina Turner as "the biggest female pop star in the world" at the point of Private Dancer...not EXACTLY true... :D
Possibly 70s with Queen, Led Zeppelin etc. Anyway, it’s still remarkable doing any of that at the time when it was almost unheard of for a woman over 40 to even be successful on that level.

In all fairness Tina's concert numbers were bigger than Madonna's in the '80s but that's probably also because Madonna's tours were shorter.

Anyway I need to watch this.

I absolutely loved it, although it didn’t have many revelations, in fact it surprisingly showed how accurate and not ‘based on’ the 1993 movie was.... that scene in the car when they have a punch up and the events afterward in the hotel she recounts exactly how I remember the scene in the movie, right down the to the blood stained white suit. Unbelievable.

she’s one of my favourite artists ever. What a career.

Oh and as Ellie pointed out it was indeed frustrating getting that context about how her career was defined by Ike in the press. That’s so tragic, especially for someone who had such a magnificent (and much bigger) career as a solo artist.

I liked that quote she gave about how she hated everyone calling it a comeback. It wasn’t a comeback, it was a debut. This was a whole new career. Or something.

She’s the favourite to be inducted into the rock n roll hall of fame this year as a solo artist, long overdue. If so I think that makes her only the second two-time female inductee after Stevie Nicks.

I absolutely loved it, although it didn’t have many revelations, in fact it surprisingly showed how accurate and not ‘based on’ the 1993 movie was.... that scene in the car when they have a punch up and the events afterward in the hotel she recounts exactly how I remember the scene in the movie, right down the to the blood stained white suit. Unbelievable.

she’s one of my favourite artists ever. What a career.

I think the only glaringly inaccurate part of the film is them not mentioning her first relationship and first son. They pretty much portrayed it as her losing her virginity to Ike. That’s more accurate in the stage musical, although I didn’t enjoy it that much compared to the film.

I think the only glaringly inaccurate part of the film is them not mentioning her first relationship and first son. They pretty much portrayed it as her losing her virginity to Ike. That’s more accurate in the stage musical, although I didn’t enjoy it that much compared to the film.

No, they mentioned she had a son with someone else first. Was it one of Ike's friends?

I watched this last weekend and really enjoyed it. The biopic I saw years ago but don't remember particularly clearly. I thought the documentary did a particularly good job on her eighties triumph, and obviously the escape from Ike.

The frustration was evident in clips from interviews well into the eighties still asking about Ike. Also the narrative of nice Phil Spector sending Ike away so Tina could sing how she wanted on River Deep Mountain High was something :D

forgot about that. I thought for a second you meant Lorraine and her two sons with Ike, but yeah that first born was news to me. She mustn’t like it being discussed.

i wonder what her relationship with Ike’s sons are like now? I mean she basically raised them.

Ms Turner officially inducted into the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame WITHOUT Ike :disco:

Reactions: GNL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom