UK: The Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson years - problematic + infected + broke the law + electoral poison + sneks + not very good + OVER (funny)

Is it just my echo chamber or is the mainstream press (bar the government propaganda outlets the Mail, Telegraph & Express) finally starting to talk about how Brexit is damaging the UK economy? I see more and more mentions this week. Feels like the sands are shifting. Obviously we don't want the UK back in the EU, halting its fabulousness, but we can accept the UK sneaking back into the SM and CU as a rule-taker :disco:

I am so pleased to see this. It often irks me to see what Pride has become- an often commercial venture covered in glitter that has no roots based in the political movement it began as, when there is still so much work to do. The organisers of our local pride smiling for photo ops next to Tories really fucking winds me up.
On a similar theme, from The Guardian yesterday

Pride in London says uniformed officers should not march in the parade, following calls from LGBTQ+ campaigners to bar them due to Scotland Yard’s “homophobic” handling of the investigation into the serial killer Stephen Port.

The move came after the human rights campaigner Peter Tatchell said the case, which the independent police watchdog recently announced it was reinvestigating, showed that “institutional homophobia is alive and kicking in the Metropolitan police”.

Tatchell added that the case, as well as other recent revelations of homophobia, racism and misogyny in the force, meant Pride in London needed to take a stand on police officers’ participation in the parade.

He said if the Met police had conducted a proper investigation after the murder of Port’s first victim, Anthony Walgate, the three other young gay men Port subsequently killed would still be alive.

Officers failed to link the deaths between June 2014 and September 2015, despite striking similarities and the fact that three of the men were found in St Margaret’s churchyard, Barking, yards from Port’s home, while the fourth was found outside his flat.

Tatchell said: “While there are many good officers, and they are welcome to march in civilian clothes, Pride needs to challenge the police as an institution, otherwise they will never reform.”

In a statement, Pride in London said: “We work hard to strike a balance between the very real and legitimate concerns from members of our community, and being as welcoming as we can. We agree that the police uniform undermines that balance, and as such we are aligned that it should not feature in our parade.”

The Gay Liberation Front, which organised the first Pride march in 1972, has also signed an open letter calling for an end to not only police taking part in the parade but also patrolling the march.

The letter, organised by Lesbians and Gays Support the Migrants, states: “The organised presence of police at Pride en masse provides a platform to an institution that represses us. Having a police presence at Pride as well as patrolling Pride, makes Pride unsafe for our community.”

Reactions: COB
Hmm. One of my work friends used to work for the Met Police and therefore has a lot of friends who still work there. He said that of all public events, Pride has the most bomb threats around it, so that might not be a good idea.

Hmm. One of my work friends used to work for the Met Police and therefore has a lot of friends who still work there. He said that of all public events, Pride has the most bomb threats around it, so that might not be a good idea.
I'm not sure I agree with the last part (the patrolling of the march), but in terms of taking part in it, I think I do.

I think I am on board with the principle of having no police at all, even patrolling it, but I think the reality is that it would be too risky in practice. You'd need some form of security and it would be expensive to get it privately, as well as most private security companies being as morally bankrupt as the Met, if not more so.

I think I am on board with the principle of having no police at all, even patrolling it, but I think the reality is that it would be too risky in practice. You'd need some form of security and it would be expensive to get it privately, as well as most private security companies being as morally bankrupt as the Met, if not more so.
Well yes, that's the reality of it. If not them, who else? Particularly when it's tomorrow and that letter was dated two weeks ago.

A lot of people say that Glasgow Pride died when they had the police lead the march. Which is one of the reasons it has fragmented now (alongside the complete absence of organisations skills, overselling the party, some cash going AWAOL, offending long-time partners etc etc etc).

Why on earth are they sticking with Pincher?

What does he have on them? Was it he who walked in on Carrie and BlowJo?

He had a minder to keep an eye on his busy hands ffs. :manson:

Is it just my echo chamber or is the mainstream press (bar the government propaganda outlets the Mail, Telegraph & Express) finally starting to talk about how Brexit is damaging the UK economy? I see more and more mentions this week. Feels like the sands are shifting. Obviously we don't want the UK back in the EU, halting its fabulousness, but we can accept the UK sneaking back into the SM and CU as a rule-taker :disco:
If you’re in the SM I think you are as much a rule approver / former as the EU proper in that context? Do correct me!

But yes, I think you’re right, and one of the reasons I generally feel more positive than perhaps others do is because I am convinced the UK is now over the top of the hill of its collective nervous breakdown down and on the descent. The lack of a Brexit dividend is cutting through (polling shows this). I also think the solid public support for the rail strikes is arguably indicative of a more broadly shifting mood beyond those on the left (and us recanting Tories :bruised:)

If you’re in the SM I think you are as much a rule approver / former as the EU proper in that context? Do correct me!
Nope. Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein have very little say on single market matters - SM rules are a matter for the Council, Commission and/or Parliament - Norway and co. obligated to follow the EU’s lead.

I think gravitation back towards the single market(albiet much further down the line) is inevitable but I feel like we still haven't reached the "top of the hill" yet in terms of this current madness.

Well once again, I am wrong.

Thanks.
To be fair, there are “decision shaping” provisions requiring the EU to get feedback from the EEA/EFTA members before making single market decision, but I’m not convinced they have any real influence. And certainly nothing as powerful as a veto.

You can make a fig leaf argument that they aren’t subject to the CJEU and CJEU case law. But they are subject to a different supranational court applying the same legislation (whose judges are naturally highly persuaded by CJEU case law).

Going back to single market means free movement. Do they really want that?

It's certainly not going to be on the cards under the current government(and probably not the next Labour one either - although they have said they would realign with trade/customs) but I think it will happen eventually under a future government, even if it means the return to freedom of movement.

As others have said I think public mood is slowly starting to shift

Going back to single market means free movement. Do they really want that?
I expect so at some point. The writing is very much on the wall, in that the economy is manifestly struggling without it. I don’t expect the next election will be fought on the ‘Brexit’ issue at all, but if the left/centre-left win (as expected right now), they may then take the opportunity of that win to at least put the UK on the road to greater integration.

C47A110C-D9DF-4861-B057-F93BB4CB6F5C.jpeg

9B5C262F-482B-4DDA-A417-917A82846931.jpeg

I dread to think what utter horror they will dream up next to punish us plebs.

To be fair, anyone turns up for work meeting looking anything less than pissed off at the world isn't doing it right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom