The Arthouse Lounge

OMG there’s a Fassbinder life story film thing coming out soon. I can’t be bothered checking what it’s called and the man playing RWF doesn’t look all that much like OUR HERO but it might be worth a look

Never seen this thread before but HIYA JULIA!!! :disco:

Never seen this thread before but HIYA JULIA!!! :disco:
HIYA BABS

Not staying for long BECAUSE REASONS but I couldn’t resist sticking a violent stan oar into the Billie Ray Martin thread and of course sharing my ARTHOUSE KNOW HOW :disco:

rainer-werner-fassbinder-margit-carstensen.jpg

<3

:disco:

Well I hope we see you at some point soon for a BIT LONGER when you’re felling up to it!

Fox and his friends was one of the last movies I watched in the cinema before the lockdown last year.

‘Sequin in a blue room’ has landed in the usual dodgy corners of the internet.

Possibly also on Amazon Prime (not sure if only USA though tbh)

I paid to watch it weeks ago :bad: It’s very good though.

Ex-championship diver Viktoras whiles away his days on the Greek coast, toiling away at a factory with only his dreams, medals and grandmother for company. When a phone call summons him to Germany, a simple road trip is the answer – that is until he crosses paths with the handsome Mathias – a free-spirited hitchhiker who tempts Viktoras to take the road not taken.

THE MAN WITH THE ANSWERS is a picture-postcard travelogue about the familial ties that bind, the boys that catch our eye, and the twists and turns that lead us home.

It was ok…. Wasn’t great. Wasn’t bad.

glowing reviewing skills there.

Anyone seen ‘water drops on burning rocks’ / ‘Gouttes d'eau sur pierres brûlantes’?

I’m gonna watch it anyway as its an Ozon film but wondering if it should go near the top of the list or let it fester.

I've just found out that the incomparable Irm Hermann of Fassbinder association DIED LAST YEAR! I shall amend my avatar in tribute :disco:

I've just returned from Hamburg and ZUM GOLDENEN HANDSCHUH. it was just like in the movie :disco:

This looks really good and I do love hearing Polish, even though it's relatively commonplace these days when you nip down the shops for essentials (wine, fags, etc :disco:)

There may well be a thread about this somewhere but has anyone else seen Drive My Car? God it is STUNNING. I also saw Wheel of Fortune and Fantasy last week which was also utterly amazing. It reminded me very slightly of Kieślowski's Dekalog in tone (probably for reasons not very explicable) but there is NO HIGHER PRAISE :disco:

Ryusuke Hamaguchi instantly my new favourite director :disco:

Another recent favourite which I can recommend is LA MIF. I saw it last week at the ICA and hurriedly ran out during the end credits (which I never normally do - so common) because there was an après-film Q&A and I would have felt responsible for there being only about five people in the audience and embarrassed if nobody asked any questions :(

Oh what a thread :disco: I do hope it's ok for me to plop in and share some thoughts too.

I saw Memoria a few weeks back, and to be honest MILDLY HATED IT whilst watching it. I was hoping it would be a meditative experience, as I had a few things ON MY MIND at the time, but I actually found it quite frustrating as a film.
HOWEVER since then it's been swirling around my mind for the past few weeks, to the point that I'd really quite like to see it again. I really do think it's a film that would benefit from at least two viewings.
Some of the scenes are really rather memorable (the music studio scene, and the elongated scene by the RIVER, of which there's a further key scene as part of that extended segment) and would probably rank as two of the most stand-out cinema moments I've watched recently.

I do wish Apichatpong Weerasethakul's films were easier to watch in high quality. It really feels like Mubi should have all his films as part of their library as standard. I'd quite like to get stuck into his back catalogue having watched Memoria.

ACHTUNG TILDA SWINTON FANS

Film recommendations please. I’m thinking of fun romcom We Need To Talk About Kevin as my next port of call :disco:

The Souvenir (Parts 1 & 2) stars baby Tilda and OG Tilda in a supporting role.

I just thought The Souvenir (Part 1) was just about POSH PEOPLE in FILM SCHOOL when I watched it, so was most surprised by the ACTUAL plotline :shock:
I didn't get round to seeing Part 2 when it was at the cinema recently, despite Anna Calvi's STARRING ROLE :( I need to remedy that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom