The Anime Lounge

Phoenix

I’m the hostess of the dinner
Pronouns
He/Him
We should have an anime thread as I’m dipping my toes into the genre.

Watched one season of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure and Demon Slayer.

Demon Slayer is GREAT. It's basically the best Final Fantasy game that never was - but maybe more "traditional" shonen (dark) fantasy.

Jujutsu Kaisen is also deliciously absurd and morbid - probably the closest to a Tokyo Ghoul successor we've had.

But welcome on board @Lucille - I binged the first three seasons around this time last year. A total trip. Season 4 might even top it though.

Ooooooohhhh

It’s a source of constant annoyance that subtitles exist for all this stuff (dubbed too in many cases) but Japan Netflix doesn’t have any of it :evil:

I do have Jujutsu Kaisen on my list though, that has subs. Demon Slayer IS the moment though, it’s generated the biggest grossing movie of all time and it’s just everywhere. No subs :evil:

I can’t recommend Dorohedoro on Netflix HIGHLY ENOUGH, for anyone who hasn’t seen it, very dark, incredibly funny, batshit crazy and with insane world building.

I gave Jojo a go and initially enjoyed how CAMP it all was, but started to find it a little RELENTLESSLY INTENSE, although may give it another go when I’ve finished Titan.

If you want something relatively short and batshit, Devilman Crybaby is well worth a watch - do not look anything up about it beforehand.

Me watching Devilman Crybaby

:hostage:

1645528188353.png

I fairly enjoyed Godzilla:Singular Point, it got into some sci-fi technobabble but it was very Godzilla All Stars

I can’t recommend Dorohedoro on Netflix HIGHLY ENOUGH, for anyone who hasn’t seen it, very dark, incredibly funny, batshit crazy and with insane world building.

it's EXCELLENTLY LUDICROUS

I don't watch that many anime shows but Death Note was so good too. the twists!!

What kind do you lot like? All action ones?

I mean I like some dappy high school ones because gay

Mixed bag but I guess I'm leaning towards action / supernatural if I take my consumption of the past 20 years into account.

Big fan of Haikyu!! though. Best sports mange/anima of the past few years with a bullet. Great soundtrack, really well-written characters and good character development.

Mixed bag but I guess I'm leaning towards action / supernatural if I take my consumption of the past 20 years into account.

Big fan of Haikyu!! though. Best sports mange/anima of the past few years with a bullet. Great soundtrack, really well-written characters and good character development.
That’s the volleyball one right? I always feel a bit surprised at how big volleyball is here

I don’t know if this is applicable outside Japan, but Jujutsu Kaisen is coming off Netflix here on March 26, presumably snapped up by a different streaming service - so catch it while you can

I don’t know if this is applicable outside Japan, but Jujutsu Kaisen is coming off Netflix here on March 26, presumably snapped up by a different streaming service - so catch it while you can

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED. It's great. But kinda soul-crushing.

Soul crushing? I’ve watched the first 3 episodes now there’s a deadline hanging over me, and a bit surprised by that

Ok, maybe soul-crushing is a bit strong but there's a sad undercurrent to it - but it offsets some of the more "standard" shounen narrative and themes nicely.

Ok, maybe soul-crushing is a bit strong but there's a sad undercurrent to it - but it offsets some of the more "standard" shounen narrative and themes nicely.

I am into this now, 7 episodes in after about 24 hours. I guess if anything I find it rather GORY, especially the staff of the Japanese Pumpkin Cafe all bursting into flames

Last edited:
Soul crushing, sign me up!

Attack on Titan is currently on pause as it’s themes are a bit TOO relevant to current events.

Soul crushing, sign me up!

Attack on Titan is currently on pause as it’s themes are a bit TOO relevant to current events.

Oh I won’t get you on Grave of the Fireflies just yet maybe

Btw where are you for Club Ghibli biiiitch?

@Moderator How about we honour dear sister @Phoenix and split this off into an Anime thread? I think posts #10 onwards will do, except for posts #33-35 which are back on topic for Attack on Titan.
よろしくね

I’m on the second half of season 2 of Jojo (it’s so fucking long and repetitive, like seriously it’s 24 episodes of the same thing happening over and over).

However the theme for the second half is a bop

I've never delved into the Gundam franchise, but the trailer for the upcoming series The Witch From Mercury looks gorgeous and has very good music so I might give it a go:

Yeah, AoT did not feel like the right one to watch in March. I stopped halfway through Season 4.2. - I expect I'll watch the last few episodes before the final FINAL season :eyes:

Finally succumbed and watched all of Tokyo Ghoul. (:Re is a bit wonky though and didn't hold my attention quite the same way)

But I'll never look at a centipede the same way again. 🙃

I've recently been watching Made in Abyss, which I would really recommend. It's about a city that's been built around a massive abyss which extends an unknown depth into the earth, and is full of artifacts from a lost civilisation. People go into the abyss to try and recover artifacts and potentially make their fortune, but the abyss is full of dangerous creatures (also depending on how deep you go, ascending out of the abyss can cause side effects ranging from nausea and memory loss to permanent insanity and even the loss of your humanity :shock:). The main character is a young girl called Riko, who grew up in an orphanage after her mother was lost in the abyss; she teams up with a mechanical boy named Reg (who has no memory but appears to have crawled up from the bottom of the abyss) to uncover the mystery of what happened to her mother, so down they go...

I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say it's one of those shows that starts out seeming like one thing then takes SEVERAL turns :eyes: :D I've seen the first season, but they just released a movie and there's a second season on the way I believe. Also the theme tune slaps:

I mean, "Unravel" might just be one of the best OPs of the last 10 years. It's exactly the kind of shreddy math-nerd-rock with falsetto vocals that I go hook line and sinker for. It's SO GOOD. (@ButterTart this one might also really be for you?)

(Also, yes, ruining this one for upcoming ASFM editions)

Last edited:

Update: I watched this and it was lovely. Not really high-stakes, every problem is solved by building a hot spring, and every hot spring problem is solved by ripping off Japanese hot springs.

Very enjoyable and the overreactions were great. Now I really want to go to an onsen

The latest big smash here

Very watchable and a great ensemble cast. Only 12 episodes in part 1, part 2 coming in October I heard

I had completely forgotten that an anime adaptation of NieR Automata was coming, but here are a couple of small teasers:

Starts in January apparently! I'm quite excited.

Chainsawman looks absolutely RIDICULOUS and I cannot wait.

• Love
Reactions: COB
And love this new bop from perennial opening legend LiSA

The latest big smash here

Very watchable and a great ensemble cast. Only 12 episodes in part 1, part 2 coming in October I heard

Is anyone else watching this? It indeed came back for part 2 yesterday, we stan a prompt release.

First episode back was great :D

It’s an espionage-themed light comedy based on a pseudo cold-war East and West Germany. A top spy has to get an unknowing fake family as a cover, but the wife and adopted kid also have abilities they’re keeping from each other. Great farcical fun

Spy X Family is one of the few seasonals I've been watching this year, got to add the return to my weekly watch list again.

All three of the main family members are very watchable characters and the script so far has been super enjoyable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom