Suomi ranks the Buffy Seasons

I discovered that it's on Disney Plus so I've been doing a full rewatch. From series 5 onwards I really start to miss the dynamic of the earlier seasons.
I was always fascinated by seasons 5 and 6 and how the show got darker. They are probably 2 of my favorite seasons. I mean season 6 has Dark Willow.:disco: Season 7 just started to blur together and I lost interest somewhere in the middle.

I was always fascinated by seasons 5 and 6 and how the show got darker. They are probably 2 of my favorite seasons. I mean season 6 has Dark Willow.:disco: Season 7 just started to blur together and I lost interest somewhere in the middle.
Dark Willow and Glory are my favourite Big Bads but the show in general lost a lot of heart when Joyce died. I don't think the tone ever fully recovered from that so the comedy and one-off monster episodes stopped working as well as there was a constant pall of sadness over everything. Plus, it led to money-troubles Buffy which was a layer of shit that really wasn't needed in a series where Buffy was already coping with... y'know... her death, resurrection and realisation that she'd been cast out of heaven.

Need a vodka
Can I interest you in a delicious glass of Black Frost?

4x5.jpg

I know it's not 'cool' to say this but I'm on season 4 again now and I'm fairly settled on it being my favourite. I like the uni setting, I like Riley and the Initiative, I love the tone they're going for, Oz is still there and Anya comes back which means it features a peak Scooby roster before Tara, Dawn and the rubbish ones from series 7 come along to dilute the brand.

I do feel like the Initiative was a great concept that was just far too rushed to have any lasting impact on the series. It could have done with being spread over two seasons to give it time enough to bed into the universe and carry more emotional weight. Wrapping the whole story up in the space of a season was just far too neat, didn't have any long term repercussions and left Riley entirely redundant by season 5 (and he's NOT THAT BAD).

I'll get on to my conflict regarding Joyce's death when I rewatch season 5.

Yes to all of this. It has always been my favourite season.

Yes to all of this. It has always been my favourite season.
I've been looking forward to it since I started the rewatch. The first three seasons get a bit bogged down with the endless Angel moping and Xander being an absolute arsehole to people without ever getting called out, so the new setting and generally lighter tone were much needed.

Plus the Initiative's tech is fucking cool and Riley's the only boyfriend Buffy stands a genuine shot at a life with. I never liked her being paired off with Spike so the show binning Riley in favour of him really felt like a step backwards for her character.

In my excitement about season 4 I totally forgot the episode where Oz has a personality transplant and hurriedly falls in love with evil bitch Veruca. What a horrible way to write out the best Scooby :(

Willow, love, Oz sharing a cell with another werewolf isn't anywhere near as bad as getting off with Xander multiple times because you felt like it. Seriously, why is everyone so ridiculously out of character in this episode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom