Sugababes™

I think I agree with this. So much of imperial Sugababes was Heidi’s wonderful pop voice*. It is lovely that Siobhan is getting her moment nonetheless.

*when recorded.

I'll take Siobhan over Heidi live any day of the week - which is not to say that Heidi hasn't had her moments or hasn't contributed. There is room for EVERYONE in my diabet heart.

:hostage:

No shade to Siobhan but as I told @dUb once, the definitive Suga line-up will always be the Imperial era configuration for me. You had Mutya's husky growl, Keisha's sweet tone, and Heidi giving you a bit of Scouse showboating.

The pop juggernaut that was 2.0 was lovely but there's magic in the harmonies of the sacred three so it's MKS all the way forever and always for myself

crazy-i-can-hear-god.gif

The comment section of every article about them on Facebook is like rewinding to 2012 Popjustice forums

I've never thought of Heidi as a showboater. Are you talking about the Rock In Rio "Stronger"?

If you are indeed being serious it’s probably just best to let sleeping dogs lie at this point and instead allow the unenlightened to continue to marinade in the self perpetuated and stale juices of their own fan fiction beliefs.

I don't know what I wrote to warrant that response.

I have seen loads of people/gays on Twitter this past fortnight pointing to ONE occasion when Heidi fluffed the Stronger middle eight live (admittedly fairly spectacularly :D ) to create some REVISIONIST HISTORY that she couldn't sing and dragged the group down.

I love a bit of Shuv and I'm not inclined to pit them against each other. But Heidi's swoonsome "I'm going crazy with love for you baby" from Too Lost In You remains the all-lineups Sugababes vocal high point IMO.

I once saw a video of that Vocal Coach lady ranking the Sugababes vocals and placing JADE at #1 :confused: Keisha was an appropriate #2 and Mutya sitting at #3, however, placing Amelle at #6 was a no go.

I once saw a video of that Vocal Coach lady ranking the Sugababes vocals and placing JADE at #1 :confused: Keisha was an appropriate #2 and Mutya sitting at #3, however, placing Amelle at #6 was a no go.

I would think Jade maybe has the best technical voice in terms of notes etc? Not the best pop/band voice though.

Vocal Strength/ My Order of Rank.

01, Mutya:

U.K’s best homegrown vocalist and better than some more widely celebrated/ higher selling U.S. singers such as Beyoncé)

02, Keisha:

U.K Pop’s best officially recognised Soprano

03, Siobhan:

U.K. Pop’s most emotive singer, with clearest tone & diction

04, Amelle:

Quality bass/ husky vocal tone/ very proficient

05, Jade:

Studied professional & technically proficient but lacking in full bodied bass tones & not a particularly unique upper register either

06, Heidi:

Knows her strengths lie in her upper register & can hold a tune whilst drawing attention away from her lack of lower register.

OMG! Yvie Burnett! I wondered when you would find us.

I would think Jade maybe has the best technical voice in terms of notes etc?
Maybe not now that her voice had been left in shreds by trying to sing over Disney's Aladdin :(

If Jade had replaced Amelle, she might have learned Keisha's soundcheck trick and the Aladdin business could have been avoided.

Apropos of nothing, I’m currently imagining a Sugababes focused cover of Where The Wild Roses Grow in which Heidi sings about her final moments before a mystery assailaint screams “This is for UK pop’s greatest living soprano!” and bludgeons her to death with an original pressing of One Touch.

• Haha
Reactions: dUb
I am so tired of people harping on about Heidi on various corners of the internet. Too bad those people don’t remember the original “One Touch” album era from 2000, only to make out Siobhan out to be a flash in the pan, when in actuality she had been there since 1998.

I am far more interested in going on this journey with the original members, it’s a chance too see what they would have become and where the true spirit of the group would have gone during the “Angels with Dirty Faces” era etc.

We already know from the vocal blend on the 60+, 2012/14 tracks, that they have an almost blood like harmony that sounds fated to be. They are three souls who are destined to be together and if it were not for stupid, hormone fueled teenage drama’s that went too far, Heidi would simply never have been.

Heidi was not even a fan of the group before she joined and only went into a branch of HMV (with her Mum) to buy a copy of “One Touch” on the same day she received a phone call inviting her to audition for the group in London the following day (24 hours later). If it had not been for management contacting her for purely business reasons, she would have likely gone on not being a fan and got something else.

The true spirit of the group and all the musical development they went through between 1998-2000, unseen alternate styling and midnight recording sessions over Chinese takeaway whilst they bonded, learning to sing in three part a cappella, sharing intimate secrets that manifested in early songwriting and going through adolescence together had nothing to do with Heidi, in many ways what MKS bring to the table are emotional connections, memories and life experiences based on that connection and the shared bond at the very heart of that is what makes them unique and gives them their identity, not only as a singing group but also as women.

This is not just about music it’s about real life psychology between these three now grown women, the ups and downs of life that pulled them apart and the shared commonality that brought them back together, it is not only fate but also karma that they get to experience these highs with Siobhan.

What a post. I particularly like the image of Heidi and her mum simply buying a nice top from River Island had she not got the call.

I am so tired of people harping on about Heidi on various corners of the internet. Too bad those people don’t remember the original “One Touch” album era from 2000, only to make out Siobhan out to be a flash in the pan, when in actuality she had been there since 1998.

I am far more interested in going on this journey with the original members, it’s a chance too see what they would have become and where the true spirit of the group would have gone during the “Angels with Dirty Faces” era etc.

We already know from the vocal blend on the 60+, 2012/14 tracks, that they have an almost blood like harmony that sounds fated to be. They are three souls who are destined to be together and if it were not for stupid, hormone fueled teenage drama’s that went too far, Heidi would simply never have been.

Heidi was not even a fan of the group before she joined and only went into a branch of HMV (with her Mum) to buy a copy of “One Touch” on the same day she received a phone call inviting her to audition for the group in London the following day (24 hours later). If it had not been for management contacting her for purely business reasons, she would have likely gone on not being a fan and got something else.

The true spirit of the group and all the musical development they went through between 1998-2000, unseen alternate styling and midnight recording sessions over Chinese takeaway whilst they bonded, learning to sing in three part a cappella, sharing intimate secrets that manifested in early songwriting and going through adolescence together had nothing to do with Heidi, in many ways what MKS bring to the table are emotional connections, memories and life experiences based on that connection and the shared bond at the very heart of that is what makes them unique and gives them their identity, not only as a singing group but also as women.

This is not just about music it’s about real life psychology between these three now grown women, the ups and downs of life that pulled them apart and the shared commonality that brought them back together, it is not only fate but also karma that they get to experience these highs with Siobhan.
It's just hit me. You really remind me of former poster @loomer

In Heidi's defense, I don't think many people were that familiar with the oeuvre of the 'babes at thar point. They'd had one top ten single and their album had not set the Woolworths chart alight :(

They had their best streak with 2.0. I like the original line up but that’s 1 album vs. 3 and poor Heidi did her part and you all heard Keisha, she’s cheering them on (from afar obviously since she’s probably not allowed to be in close proximity to the originals).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom