RSD 2022 + general vinyl discussion

It’s a lot easier to charge £35 for two vinyls one one package than it is for two individual albums.

I don' know if we have any Biffy Clyro fans here but their new album is £11.57 on vinyl. Use the Amazon linkette!

I have a strict 'Madonna only' rule when it come to picture discs but this Purple Rain edition is pretty.

I had every single one of the 12” ones bar Erotica and a few album ones, but have sold the lot now. I think the only Madonna picture disc left is Madame X which I bought two copies of in an Amazon sale for £15, one to sell and one to keep, but think I’ll eventually get rid of both when the price goes up enough.

It’s the limited JEWELL needed

well that and Rusties back catalogue but those contract wrangling will never end

A lot of "double vinyl for maximum fidelity" stuff is a crock. I picked up the new pressing of one of the Fall's albums yesterday - it's 50 minutes long and sounds great; lovely clear vinyl, loud cut, very little surface noise. Meanwhile albums of the same length and shorter are being punted on double LPs for £35 each and more.

NIL interest in a picture disc AT ALL. They're just SHITE.

They're definitely coming back again, no doubt the logical extension of the theory that there's an audience who just like the aesthetics of vinyl and will listen to the download rather than the disc.

That said, I bought a Nurse With Wound picture disc recently and found myself saying "yeah, it's not bad...actually pretty decent for a picture disc" when what I really wanted to say was "yeah, it's a picture disc, it sounds like someone let some hedgehogs sleep on it for a week or two".

Did anyone grab any titles from the HMV centenary editions? I wanted Kate Bush Hounds of Love but thought a 4th vinyl copy of the same album would be crazy. Of course it sold out quickly and is now going for silly prices I think on Discogs. I just got Father John Misty's Fear Fun which I don't have on vinyl anyway. It's a lovely pink and all that but the sibilance is crazy.

Last edited:
Nah, swerved it. If I hadn't have bought the black vinyl a few weeks before the announcement, I might have picked up the Sleaford Mods one but it was £30 and I got the black vinyl from HMV themselves for £18! It's nonsense like this that's holding up new albums - all these coloured variants of albums everyone already has twice, three times over - this, RSD, "Love Record Stores" or whatever it's called...a quick grab while the going is good and the vinyl pressing industry finally collapses under the pressure.

I fucking hate HMV at the moment. Disgusting, rip-off pricing and I have no interest in the same old records being repressed again and again.

I can't see HMV surviving at this rate. Pre-pandemic, there was a bit of hope but if all they've got to offer is high prices and an 'in-store experience' that now consists of sullen staff, Funko Pops stacked floor to ceiling, dusty books they've had in stock since 2016 and novelty turntables, it's over. The bastard is, they'd take Fopp with them.

A couple of years ago I'd have been devastated to lose HMV. Now I'd barely even notice.

I bought the Low C'Mon vinyl from the HMV 100...but it was on my long list of titles to buy anyway, so it made sense to nab the SPECIAL version.
I very nearly bought Kate Bush too, but £30 for something I have already was RIDICULOUS. I do quite wish I'd bought it now though as it would have been an easy Discogs double-your-money sale :D

But yes the vinyl market is RIDICULOUS at the moment in so many ways.
The The Knife reissues I posted earlier in this thread were initially only available on The Knife's own site as ultra-limited editions which sold out within a couple of hours...an instant purchase for me as a fan despite the price (35£ each!).
These "limited" resissues then quietly appeared online at all the usual outlets about a month later for half the price, and more stock was suddenly available on The Knife's site :D Obviously I cancelled my pre-order and just bought them elsewhere for a much more reasonable price.

Love Record Stores is another one - this year's list isn't even out of print or rare titles like a lot of RSD stock can be > it's literally just different variant of albums that are still in print and readily available :D So MORE UNWANTED STOCK for the poor independent record shops to sit on once the titles people actually want inevitably sell out on the day itself.
The amount of Record Store Day 2021 stock still available and unsold in basically every single record store online is ludicrous.

I agree with all that's being said but I do still love to buy and collect vinyl! I'm totally over the coloured/ultra 'collectible' shit at this point though. I'm a music collector full stop - first it was cassette tapes then CDs and now vinyl.

I can't see HMV surviving at this rate. Pre-pandemic, there was a bit of hope but if all they've got to offer is high prices and an 'in-store experience' that now consists of sullen staff, Funko Pops stacked floor to ceiling, dusty books they've had in stock since 2016 and novelty turntables, it's over. The bastard is, they'd take Fopp with them.

The thing is, they’ve failed doing EXACTLY the same thing before. I REALLY want to support HMV but when I see “FIFTY PERCENT OFF!” and Songs In The Key Of Life for £21.99 as I did recently, it just makes me turn around and walk out.

Who keeps thinking this business model is a viable option?

I actively dislike HMV these days. I find it quite a hostile environment to shop in.

Quite happy to see our local record fair back on in September, though.

I usually go to my two local(-ish) indie record stores at this point. The HMV one I bought online as I don't think I even have a local HMV anymore.

We went to Taunton a couple of weeks ago. I was amazed to find they still had a branch of HMV there, considering many larger towns have lost theirs.

What branches does HMV have in London now?

Is that the same Fopp branch at Cambridge Circus they had years ago? And that's IT for HMV/Fopp in Central London? :o

I was a pretty regular customer and solid defender of HMV before the last collapse. Their prices are significantly up now (and I miss the multi-buy deals they used to do), which wouldn't be so bad if the shopping experience had been dramatically improved, but it is definitely worse with sweets and mystery boxes at the front of the shop instead of the new releases.

Reactions: Zu
Is that the same Fopp branch at Cambridge Circus they had years ago? And that's IT for HMV/Fopp in Central London? :o

Yes I think so. I did read a quote from the 100 years anniversary publicity with the owner who was saying they were looking at getting a HMV presence back in central London.

I mean back in the day when catalogue CDs were £16.99 or something ridiculous they did '3 for £20' deals which were reasonable.

I don't see why they can't do that with vinyl now? Not the '2 for £40' shite they have on but something properly worth everyone's while, like '2 for £20' or something (adjusted for INFLATION I guess.)

Yes I think so. I did read a quote from the 100 years anniversary publicity with the owner who was saying they were looking at getting a HMV presence back in central London.
Oh yes, I saw that as well. Honestly I don’t see the point although I am obviously running worryingly short on Pink Floyd doormats

Even I can’t be bothered buying CDs any more which is a bit upsetting because I used to love buying them. Also I’ve not really taken to buying new vinyl because I prefer digital. I am however always here for a second hand Barbara album :disco:

I had a big clearout a while ago and honestly the amount of CDs I had which I’d never even played. The entire CZARS back cat for one I mean FOR GOD’S SAKE

Obviously I kept my Snap! CD singles however (which will doubtlessly stay in a box until I drop dead) :disco:

I mean back in the day when catalogue CDs were £16.99 or something ridiculous they did '3 for £20' deals which were reasonable.

I don't see why they can't do that with vinyl now? Not the '2 for £40' shite they have on but something properly worth everyone's while, like '2 for £20' or something (adjusted for INFLATION I guess.)

Before the last collapse, there began to be a few good vinyl offers going- I picked up a replacement Parallel Lines for £7.99- but the 2 for £40 ones now are just nonsensical when you can buy those albums cheaper than £20 anywhere you like.

Second hand record shopping is MUCH MORE EXCITING

Oh the UNPARALLELED JOY when you hit the PAYDIRT of a DEAD HOMOSEXUAL :disco:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom