Prince “The Gold Experience” CD/vinyl reissue + the return of TMBGITW

I really need to get into Prince. I really only know the hits and a few other songs. My favorite from him might be a Crucial, which I only heard randomly anyway

Oh I thought you were a fan based on other threads

@RJN does Prince has a certain RING to it but you might have to take a work sabbatical to finish it :D

Oh I thought you were a fan based on other threads

@RJN does Prince has a certain RING to it but you might have to take a work sabbatical to finish it :D
A work sabbatical spent listening to music for hours on end? Don’t tempt me with a good time

Or the actual expression, “don’t threaten me with a good time”

If there are no extras on the CD is there any point in buying it again? The mastering on the original is pretty good unlike his 80s albums.

I actually don't have the CD! I used to, but I think I lent it to someone at some point.

08 Pussy Control
06 Endorphinmachine
10 Shhh
07 We March
09 The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
06 Dolphin
10 Now
07 319
09 Shy
08 Billy Jack Bitch
09 Eye Hate U
17 Gold

10 Pussy Control
10 Endorphinmachine
10 Shhh
07 We March
10 The Most Beautiful Girl In The World
07 Dolphin
09 Now
09 319
10 Shy
07 Billy Jack Bitch
08 Eye Hate U
10 Gold

"The #RSDDrop is an homage to the rare US-only promo version of The Gold Experience that was released in 1995"

Or, to put it another way, much cheaper to manufacture that a proper printed sleeve.

What promo version? I’m out of the loop. I got The Gold Experience in good old Tower Records in 1995.

The US vinyl came in a plain, stickered sleeve. That's what's been reproduced as a "homage" for RSD. Cheeky, I think.

I don't remember thinking much of it but then 90s Prince isn't really my thing.

I've never actually heard it, which is weird, but for the same reason as you- I wasn't THAT bothered with Prince post the Symbol album. I have consistently heard marvellous things about this, though, so I am interested.

I've never actually heard it, which is weird, but for the same reason as you- I wasn't THAT bothered with Prince post the Symbol album. I have consistently heard marvellous things about this, though, so I am interested.

Ellie and Funks have definitely raved about it in the past which has always piqued my interest. It's definitely overdue another try for me, especially now I've recovered from overdosing on the Sign Of The Times boxset.

Sonically this album is very similar to Diamonds & Pearls, albeit with less instant pop anthems.

319 and the then unreleased Ripopgodazippa (later released on Crystal Ball) are an essential part of Showgirls :disco:

Honestly one of my fav Prince albums ever. It just doesn’t need the silly NPG Operator interludes. Days of Wild should really have been included. There were so many great songs from around that era.

Last edited:
It actually took me years to get my head around the fact that this album did in fact come out during his darker years of being a bit obscure/ignored by the mainstream, even though he had that massive hit the year before; he was done collaborating with labels and he was already refusing to play his hitz in live performances, and by the time this album came out he had already moved on to planning his Symbol career with Emancipation etc

I too wasn’t following him at this point but it just so happened that my cousin had this album and I borrowed it years later and fell in love with it. Largely due to the title track which is one of my all time favourites, despite the fact that I don’t remember it when it was actually a single, which is telling

The reason for the confusion is because musically I lump D&P, Love Symbol and Gold together, they connect very well.

The bits in between including the Come album are the outliers. Even though I like some of that album, it’s moving into his mid 90s drifter period, whereas TGE is still a very accessible pop-R&B album.

Last edited:
Come felt like filler (I think it mostly was), so my interest had really waned by the time this came out. It didn't feel like he cared about quality anymore and was taking the fans for granted. All the shenanigans with Warners probably didn't help.

My favourite stuff is from the late 80s stuff and I think the original Dream Factory would have been right up my street. It was never the same for me after he got rid of Wendy & Lisa.

If nothing else everyone should have “Shhh” and “Eye Hate U”, two of his best ever ballads IMO. Like 90s updates of “Adore”

Come was certainly by and large filler, both in terms of music and career trajectory. These days it’s barely a blip on his discography. But “Space” is a nice bop and “Letitgo” would probably compete for a place in my Prince Top Ten - one of his best funk songs, and a brilliant homage to 90s groove music

Oh i LOVE Come :D I think its so underrated.

Perversely I don't love The Gold Experience as an album, although I do adore some of the songs on it (obvious, but Gold is just NEXT LEVEL).
I will most likely pick this up (on Discogs two weeks after the event :D ). I do like the vinyl aesthetically, aside from the unnecessary GIANT RECORD STORE DAY sticker on the front.

I was very happy The Truth got a vinyl release through Record Store Day last year as it's one of my fave Prince moments, despite being a bit of an oddity. I hope they continue with these releases :disco:

Come was certainly by and large filler, both in terms of music and career trajectory. These days it’s barely a blip on his discography. But “Space” is a nice bop and “Letitgo” would probably compete for a place in my Prince Top Ten - one of his best funk songs, and a brilliant homage to 90s groove music
What about Race? It’s the only one I regularly play.

What about Race? It’s the only one I regularly play.

I had to remind myself of that. I can see why you like it - it sounds more like late 80s Prince. A bit like 319…. Both of those would sit well on the Batman album

Come was terrible.

Gold Experience was good but not that good.

Love Symbol is probably my fave '90s Prince album.. I think..

It's popped up on my feeds, but I haven't watched it.

Have any gems been unearthed since he passed? I mean, his vaults were near mythical when he was alive.

Got it.

And easily. Literally about 20 copies in the shop round the corner and just one bored man sat behind the till with no customers.

RSD Drop 2 has clearly not been a hit…
Any copies of Human League left?

Got it.

And easily. Literally about 20 copies in the shop round the corner and just one bored man sat behind the till with no customers.

RSD Drop 2 has clearly not been a hit…
Yep I've even not bothered looking at the list again, let alone go to my shop today. I might swing by later this afternoon just for support but really not a top priority...

CUT TO ME two hours later with 5 records I didn't really need.
Ugh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom