Pop Toilet Flop Album Listen #2: Sugababes - Catfights And Spotlights (WED @ 8pm)

Did it deserve to flop?

• Total voters
Sound of Goodbye is a mix of everything else we've heard on the album so far. It's FINE.

04 Girls
06 You On a Good Day
07 No Can Do
07 Hanging On a Star
09 Side Chick
10 Unbreakable Heart
03 Sunday Rain
08 Every Heart Broken
02 Beware
05 Nothing's As Good As You
08 Sound of Goodbye

Keisha's ad libs are great. She must have loved being the best singer in the group during this era

Keisha has said in interviews she pretty much wrote this album alone, there wasn’t much collaboration going on between the girls by this point. I guess she had a breakup going on.

Can We Call A Truce is sublime

And Heidi's vocal on her verse is as fantastic as the internet gay hyperbole would have us believe

Can We Call A Truce is sublime

And Heidi's vocal on her verse is as fantastic as the internet gay hyperbole would have us believe
Yeah I've been thinking this is the album where Heidi sounds the best I think.

Truce is FINE. Nice closer, beautiful closer.

04 Girls
06 You On a Good Day
07 No Can Do
07 Hanging On a Star
09 Side Chick
10 Unbreakable Heart
03 Sunday Rain
08 Every Heart Broken
02 Beware
05 Nothing's As Good As You
08 Sound of Goodbye
06 Can We Call a Truce

Reactions: dUb
I think that is why I’m such a fan of this album. It’s SO Keisha and she is my favourite Sugababe.

her adlibs on this are just phenomenal and she is on fire here, it’s her lane. It’s her motorway. She owns everything.

But yes, it was nice of her to give Heidi this moment at the end.

Keisha has said in interviews she pretty much wrote this album alone, there wasn’t much collaboration going on between the girls by this point. I guess she had a breakup going on.
Are the other two really known for their songwriting? I always thought it was Mutya and Keisha who were the real TALANTS. The other two were good popstars but popstars was all they were really.

Oh god i just realised it sounds a bit like that Vitamin C thing

I think that is why I’m such a fan of this album. It’s SO Keisha and she is my favourite Sugababe.

her adlibs on this are just phenomenal and she is on fire here, it’s her lane. It’s her motorway. She owns everything.
Agree. It must have really hurt her when the album tanked.

Are the other two really known for their songwriting? I always thought it was Mutya and Keisha who were the real TALANTS. The other two were good popstars but popstars was all they were really.
Well the narrative was that they always wrote together For choruses and would each write their own verses. At this point Keisha decided to speak some truths and say the credits were split equally even when there was no input and it was all her work.

"Can we call a truce/we both have our truths" was rather PROPHETIC of what was to come wasn't it

05 Girls
08 You On A Good Day
07 No Can Do
07 Hanging On A Star
08 Side Chick
08 Unbreakable Heart
07 Sunday Rain
07 Every Heart Broken
04 Beware
07 Nothing's As Good As You
06 Sound of Goodbye
08 Can We Call A Truce

not including the bonus track. well done GIRLS

fuck you JARK (jk)

This was FUN. I would still rank it fairly low in a Sugababes album rank, and might even prefer Sweet 7 still but there are definite heights and I didn't hate the whole package.

Prefer Sweet 7?!? Unless you mean the Keisha album sampler you GTFO for such sacrilege

yeah actually i'm going to have to unlike that post

:D I said I THINK

DePE04GUQAAMHhQ.jpg

I'll have to give it another listen, but I do remember liking it if you think of it as a throwaway pop album and don't compare it One Touch or Three. :(

I sadly missed this as I was out but I'm gonna listen to Side Chick, Unbreakable Heart and Call A Truce now and maybe the full thing tomorrow. So you'll still get the all important JARK VERDICT and maybe even a little trademark hyperbole... (moi!?)

I haven't listened in years probably.

I prefer Sweet 7 too.

Sweet 7 is the most lobotomised / zombie parasite host record since Britney’s Blackout. But whereas Blackout used its powers for good, Sweet 7 is a warning to mankind about artificial intelligence. It fails the Turing test everytime, and no Windows 7 advert could ever humanise it.* I cannot rave enough about the scientific masterpiece that is Sweet 7.

Side Chick is so lovely. It's pretty close to being a Keisha solo track. Amelle's "la la / ya-ya / bah-bah" verse is a STEP DOWN :D like they had to find a way to shoehorn her into the song but Keisha made damn sure she got the worst part. The production is really CLEAN - all of the best tracks were done by Klas Ahlund. They should've forgotten hit chasing and done the whole thing with him.

Max Martin co-wrote Unbreakable Heart - I guess it's just the Swedish connection but it seems a bit random. None of the girls have a writing credit so I guess this track already existed. But God it's hard to imagine anyone else but the Sugababes on this - in a way it feels like a more chilled, mature take on some of Taller In More Ways' breezier upbeat tracks. The adlibs! Keisha has the perfect pop voice.

Every Heart Broken (MURDER ONE) is an enjoyably silly song but it's so chock full of clunky phrasing that just feels WEIRD. And only Keisha really has the conviction for a song like this.

There are quite a few songs it feels like Heidi barely turned up for. I wonder if she cared - she always seemed quite blase about the whole popstar thing, like it happened and she went with it but it wasn't necessarily her PASSION.

You On A Good Day is a fun little thing that would've been a much better single than Girls or No Can Do. But you can imagine the label being CONCERNED about the hit potential when they heard this album.

"You ready girls?"
"Keisha?" "YEAH."
"Heidi?" "Mm."

This song is pretty Amelle heavy and her voice somehow is not all that interesting despite being technically good.

:D

I missed this too!

can we have a re-run :eyes:

Actually I will listen tomorrow during the working day and pretend I’m in Hollyoaks in between zoom calls x

It was a weird one, they were one of my favourite bands right up to 'Girls' - and being quite basic I actually didn't mind it at all.

Yet for once I never had any desire to ever get the album or ever to really investigate it, despite loving their previous ones. I think just a whole album of 60's esque tunes was not what I needed in oh-eight.

I have it on in the background now. It's actually not bad :o

Was thinking this morning it's a shame we never got a Keisha solo album. She has such a lovely voice. (I prefer Mutya's though). I listened to Mutya's solo album a few weeks ago and though I couldn't hum a single tune from it now (SOng 4 Mutya aside :disco:) it really wasn't that bad (all the time).

Keisha's solo track on Three (Whatever Makes You Happy) was SENSATIONAL.

Heidi's (Sometimes) was excellent too - the best she's ever sounded if memory serves. I'll listen to Three today I think. It's their best album.

Keisha's solo track on Three (Whatever Makes You Happy) was SENSATIONAL.

Heidi's (Sometimes) was excellent too - the best she's ever sounded if memory serves. I'll listen to Three today I think. It's their best album.
Whatever Makes You Happy is my favourite non-single on Three and possibly my favourite on the whole album. I didn't realise it was a Keisha solo track till years later though.

The others are on it aren't they? At least as backing vocals?

Conversations Over is my album track of choice from Three though there's a few to pick from.

HEY LOVES

I've pressed play.

Y'know maybe it's because the sun is shining, or maybe it's because I really need to get my advantage points card set up, but Girls isn't as bad as I remember it being.

It is not a lead single though.

06.5 Girls

You On A Good Day is very motown, like its straight out of the songbook of the Supremes.

I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom