POP!'s Top 63 JANET JACKSON Songs

42. "Island Life"
Damita Jo (2004)

Island in the sun
Just you and I will go
Ride into the wave like echo

The first of many Damita Jo moments. :eyes: It was co-written by pop titan Cathy Dennis hot off "Toxic", which Cathy admitted was originally intended for Janet and incepted during the Damita Jo sessions. While this is admittedly no "Toxic", "Island Life" is a joyous Caribbean bop. The transition into the chorus "I like the sexy sounds from the DJ -- damn I think he's SPINNIN THIS ONE FOR ME!" is delicious.

She rolled this out for the State of the World Tour in 2017.

41. "You Ain't Right"
All for You (2001)

Come face to face with her
Gotta tell her how I feel inside

All for You was sold off as the "post divorce album", and was the first one she had released after Rene Elizondo and her split, but the opener chronicles a betrayal of a female friendship. There were rumors it was about her choreographer Tina Landon who she had abruptly stopped working with after the The Velvet Rope Tour after a decade of work together, but that has never been confirmed and the two appear to be on good terms these days. In any event, "You Ain't Right" is a slick synth pop production with feverish rhythms and Janet muttering "stupid bitch" under her breath for extra effect. Sonically, it almost gives me Kylie Fever energy. Anyway, I love it and it really works as an opening track.

40. "Put Your Hands On"
Damita Jo (Japanese Edition) (2004)

Just indulge in pleasure
Set our bodies free

This hidden gem is based on a Grandmaster Flash sample. It has a luxurious 70s vibe with some contemporary house elements that work a treat. The sound was probably more suitable for Discipline (it's basically a precursor to "Rock with U") than Damita Jo but it deserved better than bonus track status. The demo version had slightly different production elements, and was more of an R&B vibe for @funky .

Put Your Hands On deserved a placing in Damita Jo but perhaps it had to do more with the people behind the song than Janet herself? I mean, how could she possibly said "Yeah let's add Moist and Warmth in the main tracklist but let's leave off PYHO for the fanz":wink:

39. "You Can Be Mine"
Control (1986)

Time to go to work
If you want to be mine

Control was recorded in Minneapolis with Prince in mind, and "You Can Be Mine" arguably channels that energy the most. It's frequently overlooked on an album that's dominated by its singles, but it could have easily been a 7th single contender. Also, this is one of her more impressive vocals IMO. It's a shame she stopped trying to deliver vox so early in her career.

38. "2nite"
Discipline (2008)

I like control so let me ride
If you're strong hold on and forget the time

Although Discipline has its flaws, it was the perfect encapsulation of where pop music was headed in 2008. "Don't Stop the Music" was the first unabashedly euro dance influenced pop song that took off in America after hip hop and R&B dominated throughout 2004-2007. The producer behind that track, Stargate, delivered Janet her own version of "Don't Stop the Music" with "2nite", which embraced those same influences. "Rock with U" is the better song and more sophisticated, but I think "2nite" would have had the better chance off after "Feedback" was mildly successful earlier that year. It wasn't meant to be but this still bops!

37. "Enjoy"
20 Y.O. (2006)

People acting like machines
Cause they're scared to live their dreams
No not me

The second half of 20 Y.O. consists of Jermaine Dupri-free more pop forward productions and is all the better for it. Unlike the dated hip hop production that dominates the first half of the album, "Enjoy" has a classic Janet melody with a piano that is sorely missing from the Jermaine Dupri numbers. It would probably be a little higher if it wasn't for the children's choir moment, but otherwise it's lovely.

NONE of those are better than Escapade. I’m sorry, I don’t think I’ll get over that for a long time

Angry Janet Jackson GIF

ACT BAD, DON'T HURT ME, LOOK SEXY, TALK DIRTY

tumblr_ms056nsz141rixj8zo1_250.gif

72. "Every Time"
The Velvet Rope (1997)

71. "So EXcited" (feat. Khia)
20 Y.O. (2006)

70. "Sexhibition"
Damita Jo (2004)

So this is a strong triple penetration of Janet. Everytime just wasn't Again, but it's lovely and very Disney. So Excited was too tame vocally, but slams as far as I'm concerned. Sexhibition has a great bass and a fine album track. I guess people weren't trusting a try just yet :eyes:

63. "State of the World"
Rhythm Nation (1989)

US Radio Chart #5

Instead of suicide he cries himself to sleep
What is happenin
To this world we live in?
There's got to be a better way-ay-ay!

I do love some woke Janft, and this fulfills that perfectly with a New Jack Swing flair, and also superior to its counterpart "The Knowledge". It received a soft-release as the eighth(!) single off Rhythm Nation and managed to make top five airplay in America with no real push or video. QUEEN

The Shep Pettibone remixes are also on Spotify and are fabulous.

62. "Rollercoaster"
Discipline (2008)

You do it to me every time

I get on your roller coaster ride

Evidence that Janet can make anything into a sexual metaphor, including amusement park rides. The first half of Discipline is loaded with bops and this is no exception. I would have released it as a single had the campaign not been derailed by Island refusing to promote it.

61. "New Agenda" (feat. Chuck D)
janet. (1993)

African American woman
I stand tall with pride

The janet album generally moved on from the social commentary that Rhythm Nation explored so heavily. But "New Agenda" re-visited that theme with a more hip hop driven sound that was markedly different than what we heard before from Janet. There are prominent 70s era samples from Stevie Wonder, Kool & the Gang, and Average White Band. She recently performed it for the first time since the janet world tour at the State of the World Tour in 2017.

I'm no Janet connoisseur beyond skimming the singles mostly, so these are new to me. New Agenda is my favourite here, the voice has juice to it and the beat loose and warm. These are all strong so far.

60. "Better Days"
All for You (2001)

I'm about to change my vibe
Today the sun's gonna shine

One of the several underrated moments on All for You. Critics give the album flack for lacking the introspection of The Velvet Rope, which is a fair critique, but Janet was clearly trying to avoid the demons she explored on that previous album in favor of carefree post-divorce FUN. "Better Days" is a rare candid moment from the album that acknowledges that, and ends the album on a personal but uplifting note.

59. "What'll I Do"
janet. (1993)

#9 UK (b/w "Whoops Now"); #14 Australia

What'll I do for satisfaction?
If you take away, away your heart?

The superior track of the "Whoops Now"/"What'll I Do" release, in my opinion. This was Janet's first stab at a cover. It is mostly faithful to the original with the 60s rock/soul influence that climaxes into her belting out the "Boy I love ya! wanna hold ya, neeeaaaaarrrr YEAHHHHH!" She is clearly more confident here than we've heard on the previous albums, and venturing outside her comfort zone. It ain't essential, but it's fun!

The Dave Navarro remix puts a nice spin on it too, although I prefer the original.

58. "Feel it Boy" (with Beenie Man)
Tropical Storm (2002)

#9 UK, US #28

Forget everything and everybody
Boy let's just have a party

Me and you

This takes me back to the summer of 2002, Janet's hook completely sells the track. This collaboration was certainly marred by Beenie Man being a big fat homophobe. Janet apologized and said she would have never recorded the song with him had she known. For what it's worth, it semi-flopped outside of the UK, where it performed decently. I do remember it getting quite a bit of play on MTV/VH1 etc, but this and "Son of a Gun" pretty much marked the beginning of the end of Janet's imperial era.

What'll I Do a new discovery for me within the last year or so. I cannot get enough of Whoops Now so cannot take this awful opinion :D

The Homophobia Bop is better than I'll admit to. Better Days is giving Norwegian airvent starlet Annie the confidence to record a Mariah cover.

I'm no Janet connoisseur beyond skimming the singles mostly, so these are new to me. New Agenda is my favourite here, the voice has juice to it and the beat loose and warm. These are all strong so far.

amen! all that we've been through
the time has come to rejoice!
a new agenda's due

i love new agenda. it's quite remarkable how many great songs there are on janet and how well they sit together considering there's quite a bit of variety.

57. "Someday is Tonight"
Rhythm Nation (1989)

I want you so bad I can taste it

Arguably, the first Janet sex track is this sultry gem complimented by subtle moans and delicate vocals. Unlike her later attempts at this genre, there is a beautiful romanticism to it. It crescendos into an extended brassy outro, and then finishes off with Janet having an audible orgasm. Lovely!

56. "R&B Junkie"
Damita Jo (2004)
#101 US R&B Chart

We could bounce, skate and rock
Play that old school I like, yeah

"R&B Junkie"s charms took a few years to win me over, but it's a fabulous throwback moment on an album that occasionally veered toward too much to then-current R&B trends. It was pegged as a fourth single until Virgin abandoned the album, but it managed to attract some radio play anyway and hit #1 on the (Bubbling Under R&B) chart. She gave a fabulous live performance of it at the BET awards that year with "All Nite":

55. "What About"
The Velvet Rope (1997)

What about the times you said you didn't fuck her
That she only gave you head

UH!

Thematically this was an unofficial sequel to "This Time" from the janet album. It feels more traumatic than its counterpart, and its flamenco guitars grow into a climactic rock chorus that unfolds into one of her finer middle eights ("Don't want to live my life in misery, don't tell me you did it cause you love me, I don't believe..."). She made the interesting choice of performing it at the VH1 Fashion Awards shown above, instead of performing one of the biggest hits of the year ("Together Again") or her then current single ("Every Time"). This was rumored to be about Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky at the time(:D) which Janet denied.

R&B Junkie is a lost classic. What about What About? I didn't know she had it in her. A bit nondescript sadly. Or maybe Britney's Lonely just already hit that spot for me (*giggles*).

Someday is Tonight. Oh this is quite the slow motion devotion. I've never heard it before (*groans*).

54. "Take Me Away"
Unbreakable (2015)

Oh I get a natural high just looking in his eyes
So just hold me close, I'm waiting for you

This easily could have been from All for You, and is the most pure pop chorus she's given us in several albums. I love the ad-libs near the end, followed by the guitar, it's effortless and something completely unexpected following the mature R&B sound we got from "No Sleeep". An underrated bop!

53. "What's it Gonna Be?!"
E.L.E. (Extinction Level Event): The Final World Front (1999)

US #3, UK #6

Gonna make gonna make gonna make your body cream
Make you have wet dreams

What what what, what's it gonna be?!

I used to think the video looked so much better than it does now :D :( Basically "No Scrubs" but add cock rings! Anyway, this was one of several Janet collaborations that bridged The Velvet Rope and All for You. The other being the less superior "Boyfriend/Girlfriend" with Blackstreet. The video aside, I think the song has aged rather well and Janet serves impressive vox.

52. "You Want This"
janet. (1993)

#8 US, #14 UK

By the time I'm through with
You'll be begging me for more

"You Want This" is heavily based on a sample from "Love Child" (Supremes), but updates it into a 90s new jack swing girl power anthem. I'll say there are more memorable singles on the parent album but this has grown a lot on me over the years and the video is one of her bests.

You Want This surely influenced Wannabe. Busta video deserves a mention in the 1999 thread. I think I remember thinking the video was a grotesque waste of money. Song is fine and the image certainly does stand out from the era. the real catch for me is Take Me Away. I just swooned over this album so much and here is one of the best highs/sighs.

36. "Lonely"
Rhythm Nation (1989)

So anytime you feel the need

Call me when you're lonely

"Lonely" is rarely talked about, and certainly overshadowed by the seven hits on the album, but it's got a quiet beauty about it. It captures a similar innocence of a "Let's Wait Awhile" but it feels more authentic and heartfelt than most of her ballads from around this time. There are also lovely subtle jazz elements to it, and I love when she ad libs with "loo-oooh-ooohh-llyyyyyy" and "cAAAAAALLLLLL meeeeee" riffs.

35. "Trust a Try"
All for You (2001)

Don't blame me
For their jealousy, their insecurities

Janet had revealed plans to shoot a video for "Trust a Try" and release it as a single after "Son of a Gun". But the All for You campaign was suspended when Virgin took a significant loss with Glitter that same year so it never happened. "Trust a Try" carries some of the same angst that "You" did on the previous album, but is campier/tongue in cheek affair with a classical opera intro that descends into an upbeat guitar driven chorus. It's pretty ridiculous but the chaotic energy somehow works into a great pop song.

34. "SloLove"
Damita Jo (2004)

Slow, slow, loving undercover
Take it up, nice and slow

Is this about anal? I don't know but it's a GROOVE. Damita Jo loses me slightly in the second half as it descends into sex songs and blander R&B productions. But "SloLove" is exactly the 70s disco pop R&B energy that "Put Your Hands On" (featured above) flirts with. A demo with an unused acoustic middle eight leaked in 2013. I'm glad they went with the final version as the slowed down middle eight doesn't really work at all!

I don’t know most of these songs. I need to do a funky does Janet at some point.

Put Your Hands On is so spectacular. I maintain it could've been the lead single for DJ.

SloLove is also pleasurably slinky as fuck.

2nite is a really controlled banger. it's not very textured and a bit skeletal almost, but that actually works in its favour I think. it's like a great lost Britney track, but Jan's softly sultry vox on the verses really take u there. :disco:

33. "Feedback"
Discipline (2008)
US #19, UK #114

Flyer than a pelican, find another chick better than
I don't see her
Cause my swag is serious

Something heavy like a first day period

In early 2008 it seemed like the stars were realigning for a potential Janft comeback with Discipline. Jermaine Dupri took a backseat to the likes of Darkchild and Stargate, and the album mostly ditched the bland hip hop beats that plagued 20 Y.O. "Feedback" was the lead single, and fit seamlessly with the sudden shift to euro-pop and synthesized R&B-pop that characterized 2008. Needless to say, this was her best lead single since "All for You". The hook "when you hear some feedback, keep going take it HIGH-ER" is one of her strongest this side of the millennium. The song was Janet's first top 20 hit since "Someone to Call My Lover" in 2001, and charted for over 4 months. it even got her a spot on MTV after they blacklisted her for 2 albums cause of the Superbowl. It all went a bit tits up in the UK though! Or did they even release it there??

32. "Come Back to Me"
Rhythm Nation (1989)

US #2, UK #20

My abandoned heart j
ust doesn't understand...

Not the most EMPOWERING of female pop ballads lyrically, but "Come Back to Me" has a warmth about it that some of Rhythm Nation lacks and a lush piano backdrop. It was released as single #5 in the US, and peaked at #2 behind Mariah's "Vision of Love". Despite its success, it feels somewhat forgotten compared to her other early ballads like "Let's Wait Awhile" and "Again". I always felt "Come Back to Me" was much more suited for her voice than those other ballads, which seemed a bit out of reach for her vocally.

31. "Where Are You Now"
janet. (1993)

US Radio Songs #30

Do you still think of me
Or does your heart belong to

Someone else's?

As a testament to how massive Janet was in the early 90s, "Where Are You Now" charted top thirty on the radio chart based on unsolicited airplay as an album cut. It has an innocence about it, and seems like a more understated counterpart to MJ's "Will You Be There" with the mid-tempo R&B pop/harmonies. The post-chorus melody that's introduced half way through the song "If I close my eyes and make a wish, will you still be here with me?" is a highlight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom