Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 4 - France, Bosnia & Ireland RESULTS

5th: Sébastien Tellier - Divine (130pts)
divine.jpeg

Something of a coup for France to get on board - Sébastien being very well critically regarded prior to this, with one half of Daft Punk producing the album that this came from - there was nonetheless all manner of oink and tussle and fuss from French parliamentarians at the time over this being mostly in English, with a (you can imagine eyerolling heavily throughout all statements) rather befuddled Tellier eventually pledging to incorporate more French lyrics into the damn thing by the time of the contest.

19th place slightly belies the spread this got across the board, picking up points from 12 countries, although with two 8s from Lithuania and Iceland being the peak. It feels just before its time really as an entry. There's certainly no way a set of juries would've let this do as badly as it did, although it at least - inevitably - lives on in endless clip montages on the lines of 'those KER-AZY Europeans!!!' to this day.

2 x 12 (@Jacques, @Pingu)
1 x 0 (@Kevin7)

I appreciate the ambition with Divine, but I still hate the stage show. We get it, you’re too cool for this!

4th: Louisa Baïleche - Monts et merveilles (132pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Oh you UTTER FUCKING PIGS! :evil:

Oh fine, in fairness, it's pretty packed out above this, but nonetheless each vote that confirmed this falling away from contention as the proceedings went on cut like a knife / pair of scissors probably better used for the hair in dear Louisa's face for half this performance.

Anyway, gorgeous crystalline thing of beauty this may have been, it was nonetheless the little ballad that couldn't and that brought France's run of glory the two years before to a crashing halt, finishing 18th after two back-to-back top fives. I make a habit of scanning the results for obvious signs of big finishers that gobbled up most of the potential voter base for shock flops on these lines, but there's none really to be found here. When it comes down to it though, this was probably more a case of 2003 being so stuffed to the gills with glory that if I (as someone who adores this) even now wouldn't vote for this, the same was probably the case for most other viewers too. One which could've probably really done with juries to hand out actual points for being someone's fourth favourite on the night.

4 x 12 (@Penelope, @Queen of the Bay, @win_the_game, @Raining On Me)
1 x 0 (@ButterTart)

3rd: Patricia Kaas - Et s'il fallait le faire (174pts)

A study here in how to save some face and turn things around after a series of dire results.

In many ways just as big a signing as the UK got with Andrew Lloyd-Webber, with Patricia having notched up a series of Diamond-certified albums since her late 80s debut, Mme Kaas managed to score something of a home run with her entry, totting together a return to the top ten for France from the unpromising performing slot of third in Moscow, as well as leveraging the promotional opportunity of the contest to plug her latest album across the continent with a series of pre-contest performances beforehand (back when such things were ALL THE RAGE). Whisper it though, but this was a mere accident of history away from not being quite the triumph it went down as, with the circus-inspired haunting chanson only finishing 17th with the viewers on the night.

Nonetheless, it got the result it needed on the setup in front of it, which is all that matters really, and still stands today as testament to the worth of a nation playing to its strengths - and you can certainly see the echoes of this template being done even more successfully down the line in Voilá.

5 x 12 (@AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA, @Kratz, @Kevin7, @Music, @Ag)
2 x 0 (@ZenGiraffe, @Jacques)

5th: Sébastien Tellier - Divine (130pts)
View attachment 6502

Something of a coup for France to get on board - Sébastien being very well critically regarded prior to this, with one half of Daft Punk producing the album that this came from - there was nonetheless all manner of oink and tussle and fuss from French parliamentarians at the time over this being mostly in English, with a (you can imagine eyerolling heavily throughout all statements) rather befuddled Tellier eventually pledging to incorporate more French lyrics into the damn thing by the time of the contest.

19th place slightly belies the spread this got across the board, picking up points from 12 countries, although with two 8s from Lithuania and Iceland being the peak. It feels just before its time really as an entry. There's certainly no way a set of juries would've let this do as badly as it did, although it at least - inevitably - lives on in endless clip montages on the lines of 'those KER-AZY Europeans!!!' to this day.

2 x 12 (@Jacques, @Pingu)
1 x 0 (@Kevin7)
This absolutely should have been played straight on the night. The daft performance diminished a great song.

2nd: Sandrine François - Il faut du temps (177pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

I was AGOG to find out Sandrine never actually had a career to speak of outside of this. Between France's other big hitters this decade all being reliable hitmakers - and plenty of their flops having pretty active careers outside of the contest too - I'd been convinced Mme François would've been there with them too. Alas!

I'll confess always having a real appreciation for this as a Sarah Connor in Terminator-style "come with me - I'll PROTECT YOU" type saviour in the 2002 contest, coming after two absolute horrors in the running order in Maja from Bosnia and Sergio & The Sisters from Belgium back-to-back (indeed, the outpouring of gratitude for this at that point being enough to swing the Moopy vote resoundingly behind this in the 2002 rewatch during lockdown last year - an event which led to enough henpecking of @VoR for recommending it that he's only JUST come out of hospital from the injuries eighteen months later :().

On paper it's not actually anything tremendously special - yer standard power ballad with a bit of Aerosmith Armageddon guitar over the final chorus - though it did at least have French megastar Patrick Bruel on the songwriting credits, a glory combination with a decent enough vocalist to propel this to being France's second top five result in as many years. I'm a bit surprised the French broadcaster hasn't dialled up Mme François since - she's obviously got a fair pair of lungs on her, and it certainly doesn't look as if she's got much else on...

6 x 12 (@auretz, @Zu 2, @Ill Advised, @David 5000, @Soldi, @dmlaw)
1 x 2 (@Diddy)

I did love how blatant they were and just went ”we got top five in 2001 so let’s send the exact same song but with an ACTUAL french woman” :disco:

1st: Natasha St-Pier - Je n’ai que mon âme (209pts)
natasha-st-pier-Je-nai-que-mon-%C3%A2me.jpg

The rare case of a Eurovision entry being a hitmaking bow, Natasha here made like her Quebecois countrywoman Celine and hotfooted it to Europe to kick things off for her career, and got a good decade's worth of Francophone album sales out of it.

Anyway, this peak Celine balladry is still exceptionally well regarded (and arguably should've won the damn thing in 2001 when you look at the other contenders), with Mme St-Pier still being enough of a favourite with the fans over a decade on to get a call back for the 60th Anniversary Greatest Hits show in 2015. And so too with Moopy, never really relinquishing the lead despite strong competition in a much-admired round, taking it on home with a handsome 32 point lead over runner-up Sandrine François. (It didn't quite manage as many 12s as Sandrine, but that belies just how much it was a 10s, 10s, 10s across the board affair beneath the bonnet to get such a strong win in a round with a big points spread across the 10 entries.)

4 x 12 (@Suomi, @Madison, @VoR, @Apocalypt Flyer)
1 x 5 (@Zu 2)

Last edited:
9th: Gary O’Shaughnessy - Without Your Love (51pts)
irish-entry-gary-oshaughnessy-performs-his-song-without-your-love-during-a-dress-rehearsal-of-the-2001-eurovison-song-contest-in-the-parken-stadium-in-copenhagen-may-11-2001-copenhagen-will-host-the-46th-eurovision-song-contest-with-23-participating-countries-on-saturday-may12-jfl-2D4FX56.jpg

God this is disturbingly dated. I’m sure the idea was to shoot for replicating their mid-90s glory years, but I’m not sure sending something with production straight out of 1993 (hell, possibly even the 80s!) was what anyone wanted. This was the same year as Can’t Get You Out of My Head for GOD'S SAKE!

2 x 6 (@Ill Advised, @Ag)
2 x 0 (@Penelope, @Jacques)

I really struggled to work out how to order my French top 3; any of them would have been a worthy winner.

I believe someone looked into the future and by punishment created the Potato Famine.

8th: Chris Doran - If My World Stopped Turning (57pts)
50836755-chris-doran-of-ireland-rehearses-with-his-gettyimages.jpg

Why do all of these men look like cwej?

You can kind of see the logic here. Ireland’s main musical export at this point in time was Westlife, and as Westlife ballads go this one is a decent hash compared to most of the original template. Unfortunately, he entered it in a year where basically every other country going decided to send a man in a white suit jacket with a ballad too (and GOTT IN HIMMEL at the styling och consulting of pairing it with BOOTCUT JEANS!). 7 points and out.

Fans of torturing @Suomi may find it useful to know that this performance is the exact point in the 2004 contest when the overload of men gets too much for him and he manually turns off the television and refuses to watch anymore - knowledge I'm sure others more sociopathic than I can leverage effectively at some point in the future :disco:

1 x 10 (@win_the_game - you SCALDY PERVERT :D)
3 x 0 (@Suomi, @ButterTart, @Soldi)

The only picture of Gary O’Shaughnessay performing at Eurovision is covered in stock image watermarks. Says it all.

8th: Chris Doran - If My World Stopped Turning (57pts)
50836755-chris-doran-of-ireland-rehearses-with-his-gettyimages.jpg

Why do all of these men look like cwej?

You can kind of see the logic here. Ireland’s main musical export at this point in time was Westlife, and as Westlife ballads go this one is a decent hash compared to most of the original template. Unfortunately, he entered it in a year where basically every other country going decided to send a man in a white suit jacket with a ballad too (and GOTT IN HIMMEL at the styling och consulting of pairing it with BOOTCUT JEANS!). 7 points and out.

Fans of torturing @Suomi may find it useful to know that this performance is the exact point in the 2004 contest when the overload of men gets too much for him and he manually turns off the television and refuses to watch anymore - knowledge I'm sure others more sociopathic than I can leverage effectively at some point in the future :disco:

1 x 10 (@win_the_game - you SCALDY PERVERT :D)
3 x 0 (@Suomi, @ButterTart, @Soldi)

I just had to check my votes to make sure that 10 was correct!

To be honest I may as well have scored Ireland at random. The truth is it was a DECADE OF ZEROS.

7th: Eamonn Toal - Millennium of Love (69pts)
IMG_4307-500x421.jpg

I'm sorry but this is PEAK Eurovision comedy in my book :D The overwrought lyrics! Has there ever been a more POP THE CORNS AND FEED THE CHILDREN lyric than "our footprints leave a harvest for the children!"? The sheer HORROR of the mullet! The TRANSPARENCY of the Love Shine a Light rip-off! The GAGGING ACROSS A CONTINENT at "MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN!"

ALL THAT and it has the SAINTED DAWN MARTIN on backing vocals! I declare the potato famine to have been ENTIRELY WORTH IT JUST FOR THIS :disco: :disco: :disco:

1 x 10 (@Ag)
6 x 0 (@Pingu, @VoR, @Zu 2, @win_the_game, @Kratz, @auretz)

How the hell has 'Every Song Is A Cry For Help' not been on yet? Even against this competition.

7th: Eamonn Toal - Millennium of Love (69pts)
IMG_4307-500x421.jpg

I'm sorry but this is PEAK Eurovision comedy in my book :D The overwrought lyrics! Has there ever been a more POP THE CORNS AND FEED THE CHILDREN lyric than "our footprints leave a harvest for the children!"? The sheer HORROR of the mullet! The TRANSPARENCY of the Love Shine a Light rip-off! The GAGGING ACROSS A CONTINENT at "MAN'S INHUMANITY TO MAN!"

ALL THAT and it has the SAINTED DAWN MARTIN on backing vocals! I declare the potato famine to have been ENTIRELY WORTH IT JUST FOR THIS :disco: :disco: :disco:

1 x 10 (@Ag)
6 x 0 (@Pingu, @VoR, @Zu 2, @win_the_game, @Kratz, @auretz)
:D:D:D

All of these songs are terrible but this is so indescribably FOUL!

6th: Brian Kennedy - Every Song Is A Cry for VoR (101pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Probably one of the more iconic contestants (if not entries) we've come across so far. Born in Belfast, raised on Falls Road during the Troubles, Brian found fame as one of Van Morrison's backing singers, going on to his own successful career, culminating in him famously (allegedly) being caught in bed with Ronan Keating in the late 90s by Ronan’s wife (who then proceeded to smash Ronan’s car with a baseball bat).

In this context, Brian is to my mind one of the all time great Eurovision villains - him winking at the cameraman basically feels like as close as any Eurovision performance gets to a sexual assault, and the sheer smarm of the whole thing practically OOZES through the screen. He (and Una Healy on BVs) dragged this by hook, crook and the roots of its hair to the final and then 10th once there, laying it on as thick as possible along the way. You can hardly begrudge him, but at the same time when it's as drippy as this, you really feel you ought.

Anyway, this old queen's Come Dine With Me appearance after was of course the stuff of legend :disco:

2 x 12 (@Soldi, @VoR)
4 x 0 (@ZenGiraffe, @AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaAAaaaA, @dmlaw, @Raining On Me)

6th: Brian Kennedy - Every Song Is A Cry for VoR (101pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Probably one of the more iconic contestants (if not entries) we've come across so far. Born in Belfast, raised on Falls Road during the Troubles, Brian found fame as one of Van Morrison's backing singers, going on to his own successful career, culminating in him famously (allegedly) being caught in bed with Ronan Keating in the late 90s by Ronan’s wife (who then proceeded to smash Ronan’s car with a baseball bat).

In this context, Brian is to my mind one of the all time great Eurovision villains - him winking at the cameraman basically feels like as close as any Eurovision performance gets to a sexual assault, and the sheer smarm of the whole thing practically DRIPS through the screen. He (and Una Healy on BVs) dragged this by hook, crook and the roots of its hair to the final and then 10th once there, laying it on as thick as possible along the way. You can hardly begrudge him, but at the same time when it's as drippy as this, you really feel you ought

Anyway, this old queen's Come Dine With Me appearance after was of course the stuff of legend.

2 x 12 (@Soldi, @VoR)
4 x 0 (@ZenGiraffe, @wurst, @dmlaw, @Raining On Me)

Stay strong Una, ‘If This Is Love’ is just around the corner.

Why do all these men look and sound the same. I bet they all think they’re GOD’S GIFT TO WOMEN too.

It was truly slim pickings for that 12, but at least he can sing and it has a nice melody.

I also loved his THANK GOD reaction when he qualified.

Famed queen Brian certainly DOESN'T think he's god's gift to women BY ANY MEANS :D

Looking back, is he amazed he has survived it all?

“I don’t tend to look back too much,” he says, “I’m kinder to myself when I hear old recordings. I just don’t enjoy seeing myself from years ago. The vanity of it all.”

Does he believe in God?

“Yes, I have all her albums. You mean, Joni Mitchell, right?” he jokes.

Covid permitting, Brian is to play at the Grand Opera House this Thursday as part of Belfast International Arts Festival and to help celebrate Dervish’s 2019 album, The Great Irish Songbook. After that, he has an Ireland-wide tour scheduled.

He is clearly not one for easing himself back into work.

He now lives on his own far from his Belfast roots in Kilmainham, Dublin. He enjoys the solitary life. “I adore it. I could listen to myself all day.”

What about love?

“I have yet to meet the love of my life.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom