Moopyvision 2000-2009: Round 4 - France, Bosnia & Ireland RESULTS

4th: Deen - In The Disco (143pts)
bosnia-and-herzegovinas-entry-deen-performs-his-song-during-the-final-of-the-49th-eurovision-song-contest-in-istanbul-bosnia-and-herzegovinas-entry-deen-performs-his-song-entitled-in-the-disco-with-the-dancers-during-the-final-of-the-49th-eurovision-song-contest-in-abdi-ipekci-arena-in-istanbul-may-15-2004-reutersfatih-saribas-reuters-2D414N8.jpg

AGOG - I was convinced going into this this was going to get the Moopy gong for Bosnia, but ALAS!

Anyway, old 'gaybashed by a daffodil' Deen here is obviously one of the most remarkable contestants we've laid eyes on so far, even if his played straight (:basil:) I Feel Love re-up isn't necessarily much to write home about on its own terms (other than as a lyrical love letter to the pilled-up ano club kid lifestyle). What are my top three favourite things about Deen?

1. He's MUSLIM (QUEEN!)
2. He's on the record as 'not being open to marriage' (while officially being in a relationship with a Bosnian socialite woman who later came out as bi), studiously living in LA for the last decade
3. His later return to the contest in 2016, transforming from a vision of a 20-something Suedehead into a fey Sharpied egg

1200px-ESC2016_-_Bosnia_and_Herzegovina_Meet_%26_Greet_08.jpg

I'm sure you will all agree that it is of the utmost importance Bosnia returns to the contest, solely so we can see what a visit to DEEN STREET EXPRESS looks like in the year 2023.

4 x 12 (@ZenGiraffe, @Diddy, @Kevin7, @Ag)
1 x 0 (@Queen of the Bay)

bosnia-and-herzegovinas-entry-deen-performs-his-song-during-the-final-of-the-49th-eurovision-song-contest-in-istanbul-bosnia-and-herzegovinas-entry-deen-performs-his-song-entitled-in-the-disco-with-the-dancers-during-the-final-of-the-49th-eurovision-song-contest-in-abdi-ipekci-arena-in-istanbul-may-15-2004-reutersfatih-saribas-reuters-2D414N8.jpg

AGOG - I was convinced going into this this was going to get the Moopy gong for Bosnia, but ALAS!

Anyway, old 'gaybashed by a daffodil' Deen here is obviously one of the most remarkable contestants we've laid eyes on so far, even if his played straight (:basil:) I Feel Love re-up isn't necessarily much to write home about on its own terms (other than as a lyrical love letter to the pilled-up ano club kid lifestyle). What are my top three favourite things about Deen?

1. He's MUSLIM (QUEEN!)
2. He's on the record as 'not being open to marriage' (while officially being in a relationship with a Bosnian socialite woman who later came out as bi), studiously living in LA for the last decade
3. His later return to the contest in 2016, transforming from a vision of a 20-something Suedehead into a fey Sharpied egg

I'm sure you will all agree that it is of the utmost importance Bosnia returns to the contest, solely so we can see what a visit to DEEN STREET EXPRESS looks like in the year 2023.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see DEEN DEAD come 2023

Love her (and the song) but this has no business beating the likes of Leyla to the top.

3rd: Feminnem - Call Me (149pts)
27CAC777-DC46-4F00-9CAF-0D86DE15988E.png

Oh Moopy, this one's a *brutal* result.

Drawing the short straw of most people's scores in a very strong round, this nonetheless ended up as my big discovery from this lot (although I could only stretch to an 8) - pure spaced, chilled out bliss that actually feels quite on trend for where a lot of the music scene was around the turn of the millennium. I'd go as far as to say that the backing on this could fit happily on the Ray of Light album, and it's hard to think of many higher compliments than that.

I think my only slight complaint about this would be that the language shift to English feels like it cheapens it a little in the second chorus, but really, I'm nitpicking. Give it another go - it's worth the candle!

3 x 12 (@auretz, @Jacques, @Music)
1 x 1 (@Zu 2)

2nd: Regina - Bistra voda (154pts)
maxresdefault.jpg

Holding onto second place by five points over Feminnem, we get the extraordinarily rousing Bistra voda. It really comes to something when Moopy puts a rock band in second from an actually competitive line-up - let alone when I give a rock band my 12 in an actually competitive line-up - which probably says it all about how much of a total banger this atmospheric Les Mis-inspired BBB is.

This could have been entered at any point in the last 30-40 years, probably sounded exactly the same, and probably ended with the exact same string flourish and skypunch - and I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 x 12 (@Penelope, @dmlaw)
3 x 1 (@ZenGiraffe, @win_the_game, @Raining On Me)

1st: Hari Mata Hari - Lejla (183pts)
Hari-Mata-Hari-Lejla-Bosnia-and-Herzegovina-2006-Eurovision-Song-Contest-2-0-screenshot.png

God though, if you want an object lesson on how to do this sort of thing well, you really can't go any further than a Zeljko Joksimović.

Still a tremendous fan favourite to this day, usually doing the rounds at the upper end of each year's ESC250, this still stands today as the only sniff Bosnia got of the medal podium before the broadcaster got a little behind on the bills a few years in a row and thrown out by the EBU. It almost feels a slight shame it didn't turn up a year later - obviously Europe's endless lust for a bit of lesbian action helped Molitva along the way a little bit, but to these wizened old ears this is much the better instance of a Big Balkan Ballad if Lane moje couldn't do the business.

I mean for god's sake, the staging on that first Le-ejla... - masterful. A 29 point lead is enough to get this the easy nod from Moopy through to the semi-finals as the Bosnian entry, and the first of a very dominant genre towards the back half of this decade to get representation there.

8 x 12 (@Suomi, @Queen of the Bay, @Zu 2, @Kratz, @Ill Advised, @David 5000, @Soldi, @VoR)
2 x 0 (@auretz, @win_the_game)

Which gives us the following scores on the doors after Round 4 out of 12 (a third of the way through now girls!). The first entry for 2001 makes it in, and 2009 gets another notch on the bedpost, but 2006 continues to rare on ahead in the lead with five entries so far out of a grand total of twelve :o

Round 1
Former former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia: XXL - 100% te ljubam (2000)
Sweden: Charlotte Perrelli - Hero (2008)
United Kingdom: Jessica Garlick - Come Back (2002)

Round 2
Estonia: Urban Symphony - Rändajad (2009)
Germany: Texas Lightning - No No Never (2006)
Poland: Ich Troje feat. Real McCoy - Follow My Heart (2006)

Round 3
Belgium: Kate Ryan - Je t'adore (2006)
Romania: Mihai Trăistariu - Tornerò (2006)
Russia: Alsou - Solo (2000)

Round 4
Bosnia-Herzegovina: Hari Mata Hari - Lejla (2006)
France: Natasha St-Pier - Je n'ai que mon âme (2001)
Ireland: Sinead Mulvey & Black Daisy - Et cetera (2009)

2000: 2
2001: 1
2002: 1
2003: 0
2004: 0
2005: 0
2006: 5
2007: 0
2008: 1
2009: 2

1. He's MUSLIM (QUEEN!)

A message from
Internationally Awarded Recording artist , 2× #BiH @eurovision Song Contest representative #InTheDisco #Ljubavje , Fashion business expert DEEN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom