Michael Jackson - Thriller

She said I am the one

• Total voters

Funky

User
The Biggest Album Ever

But is it the BEST?

Moopy will be the judge :hitler:

10/10, but not the best and not the best MJ album. It's still a fucking 10 though, cos whenever I play it through I have to repeat it all. I love all those pre-CD era Soul/R&B albums that are so short and sweet.

oh it totally think it's time to bring back 10 track albums. You're never going to get a classic out of an album that has 17 tracks. It's just COMMON SENSE

I still think Dangerous is his finest hour. Like so many other big artists, his best moment was the beginning of his downward spiral...

Last edited:
Dangerous has higher peaks for me but it is clogged up with some REAL SHIT

Gone Too Soon? IF ONLY

Anyway, back to Thriller, it is great and iconic and fantastic, but I NEVER EVER want to listen to it, so it gets a 7

Well you KNOW I love HIStory and BOTDF. Not getting much play these days though. I'm sure I'll fall back into them sooner or later.

Shuffling all the time on my iPod, lately only the Off The Wall tracks are ones I stop on if they come up.

I reckon I PREFER HIStory meself to be honest. Especially as it contains his BEST SONG EVER. But it also contains a bit of pretentious shit too.

Plus the whole half-studio album, half-greatest hits thing kinda blurs the lines, it's difficult to compare to Dangerous or even recognise it as a full studio standalone album

I JUST DON'T KNOW

Oh come on IGNORE the Greatest Hits disc as if it doesn't exist. I always have. Although other than the Ultimate Collection box set, it;s the only MJ GH with the PROPER versions of all the songs.

I reckon I PREFER HIStory meself to be honest. Especially as it contains his BEST SONG EVER.

WORD

I think HIStory was really done a disservice by not being released as a standalone album. It's patchy in places but I consider it a masterpiece.

Sony should sort it out to be honest, because it has some of his biggest hits of the 90s on there and the general public forget it exists with the countless GHs MJ's got.

A special edition with a bonus DVD, or perhaps packaging it as a double CD with BOTDF would be good.

Anyway, Thriller gets an 8 from the Jonfessions jury. :smoke:

A lovely album but not anywhere near amongst my all time favorites or his best albums and it was more of a star aligning moment for him more than anything.

RANK/RATE
10 Beat It
10 Billie Jean (sorry, Ellie)
10 Thriller
10 Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
09 Baby Be Mine
08 P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
07 The Girl is Mine
07 Human Nature
06 The Lady in My Life

I gave it a 6, as I really am not that fond of a few songs on it, namely the titular song and Billie Jean, but Beat It and Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' are 2 of my fave MJ songs so it balances itself out.

10 Wanna Be Startin Somethin
08 Baby Be Mine
08 The Girl Is Mine
09 Thriller
10 Beat It
10 Billie Jean
10 Human Nature
10 PYT
07 The Lady In My Life

40th Anniversary edition probably gonna be shite like the 25th Anniversary also was. I generally agree with this sentiment:

There's nothing in the vaults so what can they do? The Thriller 25 updates were so bad, I'm glad they're not going down that route again.

I’m only really looking forward to the Sonic Fantasy Bruce Swedien documentary, but the estate didn’t even authorise use of music on it because it’s not one of their projects.

The LEAST the estate could do is put the short films in 4K

They're claiming 'unreleased demos' but have opened pre-orders without revealing the actual tracklisting which is always a :side-eye: moment.

They're claiming 'unreleased demos' but have opened pre-orders without revealing the actual tracklisting which is always a :side-eye: moment.
Will probably be the same ones as on the 2001 remaster. Maybe, just MAYBE the full solo version of The Girl Is Mine which is actually 100x better without McCartney, but in any case would still be the worst song either way. The leaked one is pretty poor quality.

I object to them comparing Sign O The Times to Thriller like some poor cousin. It may not have done the sales that Thriller did (nothing has!) but I'd argue it's just as influential. It's an odd comparison trying to suggest that this 'lesser' album 'ironically' received more support on a reissue. If any other 80s album deserves a renewed love in present day, it's SOTT...

I object to them comparing Sign O The Times to Thriller like some poor cousin. It may not have done the sales that Thriller did (nothing has!) but I'd argue it's just as influential. It's an odd comparison trying to suggest that this 'lesser' album 'ironically' received more support on a reissue. If any other 80s album deserves a renewed love in present day, it's SOTT...
Ha, that’s not what Charlie is doing at all. He’s a friend of mine and a Prince fanatic. He’s comparing how shit the MJ estate is compared to the Prince estate. The MJ estate doesn’t need to work at all and watches the money roll in from publishing and the Las Vegas show (as well as handling crap lawsuits and releasing fake songs and then defending them - Supreme Court battle upcoming on that), but makes no effort at all to actually preserve and honour the music.

It may not have done the sales that Thriller did (nothing has!) but I'd argue it's just as influential.
Oh please. Pretty much everyone who is old enough to listen to music has heard Thriller. I bet 99% of people under 20 wouldn't have even heard of Sign O the Times, let alone listened to it.

Oh please. Pretty much everyone who is old enough to listen to music has heard Thriller. I bet 99% of people under 20 wouldn't have even heard of Sign O the Times, let alone listened to it.

Oh hun. That's not what 'influential' means.

All I know is Lisa Scott-Lee has has "made sure to introduce herself" to Michael Jackson when having dinner with him and not Prince.

In all seriousness, Michael Jackson's pop culture influence was of a magnitude no other pop mania has got close to (not even Geru riding a horse inside Woolworths could top it, but sure would be fun). Among actual musicians I think it would be rather different.

Beat It FINALLY in 4K. Thriller should come by next week (even though it was remastered quite a few years ago for a limited cinema run)

I went to a preview cinema screening of a Thriller 40 documentary tonight. I got plied with wine and nibbles first so I wasn’t really concentrating too much, but it was LOVELY to see among other things:

- Recording session of The Girl Is Mine
- Extra behind the scenes of Beat It & Thriller
- 4K Victory tour

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom