MARINA - Electra Heart sync & general chat

If Starring Role was a woman on the edge of a cliff, Teen Idle is her looking up at you from the depth of the abyss.
Grasping.
Choking.
Bleeding.

But alive.

Teen Idle is completely next level. a once in a career kinda song that serenely TRANSCENDS.

so much going on it's hard to pinpoint a best bit but FEELIN' SUPER SUPER SUUUPERRR!!! will never not slay this gay.

she doesn't give it too many live outings these days which is a shame. she said she was encouraged to leave it off the album because it was too dark. stupid fucks.

10 Bubblegum Bitch
11 Primadonna
09 Lies
08 Homewrecker
09 Starring Role
08.5 The State of Dreaming
10.5 Power & Control
08 Living Dead
11 Teen Idle

If Starring Role was a woman on the edge of a cliff, Teen Idle is her looking up at you from the depth of the abyss.
Grasping.
Choking.
Bleeding.

But alive.
yes.

actually it has remarkably similar energy to The Blackest Day by ms LDR.

The FACT that cisgendered heteronormative patriarchy dismissed this work of genius ten years ago only proves everything we are going through in 2022.
I remember some absolute cunt of a DJ on 6 Music scoffing about it being at #1 that week, @Kate to apologise quite frankly.

@Jark probably learnt her lesson from the last time she hosted a sync for me and I made it two hours late.
incredible-talented.gif

I also absolutely stan and adore Valley of the Dolls. quite a MYSTERIOUS energy... a dark song, with some rays of light and notes of hope... more a Lynchian love letter to the city of angels and all its absurdities.

in the valley...
HEE HEEEE

chorus is a deep deep mood.

10 Bubblegum Bitch
11 Primadonna
09 Lies
08 Homewrecker
09 Starring Role
10.5 Power & Control
08 Living Dead
11 Teen Idle
10 Valley of the Dolls

12 Bubblegum Bitch
12 Primadonna
10 Lies
10 Homewrecker
08 Starring Role
10 The State of Dreaming
10 Power & Control
10 Living Dead
12x12 Teen Idle
10 Valley of the Dolls

Thereā€™s something early 2000s about Hypocrates that I really enjoy

Hypocrates is so sweet. is it thematically related to Electra Heart? not sure. but gorgeous song nonetheless.

despite starting strong and never really dipping I do think she saves the best for the last third of this album and I love the CONFIDENCE OF THAT!

10 Bubblegum Bitch
11 Primadonna
09 Lies
08 Homewrecker
09 Starring Role
10.5 Power & Control
08 Living Dead
11 Teen Idle
10 Valley of the Dolls
10 Hypocrates

Reactions: RJN
"Fear & Loathing" is a genuine Desert Island Disc for me. A truly important song in my life - goosebumps and shivering, flashbacks to key moments, *that* voice...it's a stunning piece and I;d say she's never bettered this.

2 million/10

"Instead of constantly exploding" - I don't know if she meant this as repeatedly exploding but the idea of being in a constant state of explosion, stuck in a state of disintegration, is one of the most powerful images of her career.

Fear & Loathing is not my favourite on this record but I do recognise the brilliance of it. it feels like another that is written in the voice of Marina rather than Electra Heart.

I wanna be
completely weightless
I wanna touch
the edge of greatness

you did, Merna, you did :disco:

10 Bubblegum Bitch
11 Primadonna
09 Lies
08 Homewrecker
09 Starring Role
10.5 Power & Control
08 Living Dead
11 Teen Idle
10 Valley of the Dolls
10 Hypocrates
09 Fear & Loathing

12 Bubblegum Bitch
12 Primadonna
10 Lies
10 Homewrecker
08 Starring Role
10 The State of Dreaming
10 Power & Control
10 Living Dead
12x12 Teen Idle
10 Valley of the Dolls
08 Hypocrates
10 Fear & Loathing

This is where the sequencing works best - at the 'end' of it all - all the characters, the 'different lives', the real Marina, still searching for meaning.

The extended versions, of course, completely ruin this effect.

This is where the sequencing works best - at the 'end' of it all - all the characters, the 'different lives', the real Marina, still searching for meaning.

The extended versions, of course, completely ruin this effect.
Thatā€™s why I often donā€™t listen to bonus tracks with albums

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom