Mariah - If It's Over

won't you talk to me? this is sooo outta hand...

• A top-tier Mariah Carey classic

• An early '90s MC classic

• A highlight of Emotions

• Not a classic, but a great song

• Not something I go back to much

• I hate this song; I have no soul!

• One of the very best songs of all time, queen!

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jark

User
This is anyway probably my most beloved Mariah song at this point, but I've also kind of added it to her unofficial Christmas cannon. it feels REALLY FESTIVE to me, and basically just wraps me up like a warm, soulful hug. I feel confident in saying this is maybe her best ever vocal performance on-record.

I also think it's quite unique in her discog. I don't know if it's Carole King's contribution, but I can't bring to mind another soul-leaning ballad this warm and restrained in her back cat. it just feels like the polar opposite to something like Vision of Love, Anytime You Need a Friend or any of her iconic "big ballad" moments. the vocal theatrics here are more subdued but feel really earned. the whole song feels so lived-in. maybe the closest parallel is Can't Let Go.

and of course there's the incredible live version from MTV Unplugged, which sadly cuts the second verse but does feature a truly tit-ripping vocal perf from an icon in her prime.

and in looking for this I just discovered there's also an SNL perf so I'll have to watch that later.

WHERE DO YOU STAND on If It's Over? please vote and tell me.

essential. love that she sounds older than she does now.

it's been mentioned before but this is obviously the definitive version and the ace you would pull when arguing who had the best voice evah [/suedehead].

where is the one-of-the-best-songs-of-all-time option?

or shall we not get careyed away?

It's incredible; probably her most underrated song. Her best track on Emotions and is the highlight of the Unplugged concert

I'd go so far to say that the live version is her greatest ever vocal performance. In the climax of that song she does things with her voice that I don't think I've ever heard anyone do. It's remarkable.

Definitely a great, gorgeous song, but not one I necessarily choose to listen to often

It's all about the big climax for me :ken:

I love the restraint of the first verse so you just don't see it coming. Then after the first chorus it just builds and builds and she doesn't stop until it ends :disco:

Emotions is her most slept-on album, and this is just one reason why it's amazing, mature and timeless.

That Grammy performance is giving peak-Aries energy. You can see in her eyes that she's decided to slay the children.

I do think she sleeps on it these days; Vanishing seems to be her piano ballad album-cut of choice from the early period.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom