Lisa Stansfield - All Around The World

Ay-ay-aye?

• Total voters

Alla

Sábado noche 19 80
All around the world was released as a single 30 years ago, I feel old. :vomit:

She's still the last white woman to have a #1 single in the R&B chart in USA (All woman).

Reactions: LTZ
Love this song, but I love Change, The Real Thing and All Woman even more.

Eeh it's GRAND in't it ower Lisa

The first Lisa album was one of the few CDs the first Mr S used to own (along with the CD single of ALL THAT SHE WANTS and a bit of WHIT and MARIAH). He was APPALLED when I said it owed a great DEBT to the LEGEND that is BARRY WHITE but I see in the recent interview about it THEY EVEN ADMITTED AS MUCH. SO BLAH TO YOU!

Amazing. I can not quite believe I was 16 when this was first released though? I thought it was a lot later for some reason.

It’s actually perfectly fine but I hate it and never want to hear it again, or indeed any of her other songs. I not-at-all-needily forced myself to like her so my “best friend” would like me more (:side-eye:) and bought all her 12”s (all since binned) and would now like a refund thanks very fucking much

I didn't start this thread, how odd.

I love AATW and Change. I still play a lot Change's Classic Radio Mix Edit, fantastic.

I have no issue with HER at all. She seems like a LAFF. Plus People Hold On is a banger.

Poor Yazz.

I'm here for People Hold On, but not owt else. She would have been good on Corrie as was rumoured, but that ship has probably sailed. She's all skin and bones these days.

i quite love lisa for no rational reason apart maybe the real thing which growing up with precious few gay imagery felt like a proper event.

i have never owned any of her albums but i think a few of her singles have been marvellous. change is one of my favourite songs ever. i used to have a group of friends during early uni years who adored stuff like incognito and it always takes me back to those times.

Having a minor Lisa revival of late and this still slaps despite the overplay.

tADQY_.gif

Last edited:
She popped up on my feeds the other day with her Mrs Merton appearance. She seems rather overlooked these days.

It probably wasn’t in my Lisa Top 20 for a good while due to its ubiquity but time has actually been kind - it sounds less dated now than it probably did 10 or 20 years ago and I’ve come to appreciate its importance as one of the big tracks of 1989 and 1990 that changed the face of R&B for the new decade. She was probably partly lucky to be there at the right time to receive such a big song as she was starting out but you have to give some credit to THAT voice.

Being a white British woman all over American R&B radio, not once as a flash in pan but on about 5 occasions across the early 90s, is no easy accomplishment.

It’s a 10. thank you for introducing me to the word quarrel, Lisa

Also she’s an absolute northern icon so I’ve got time for her by the default of that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom