Lady Gaga - Artpop

i can't believe i'm telling you this!!!

• Total voters

ameraal

la loi de murphy
is it not high time to reassess this release?

can we just try to forget everything we know about her and note that her name is lady gaga. that alone is amazing.

isn't it really strange how this album hasn't been discussed here?

anyway, i heard do what you want the other day in passing somewhere. i'd forgotten all about that (shit the bed, piss the chaise lounge amazing) song and ever since i've had this tingling sensation i need to hear artpop again. well i did and i am and i'm loving every bit of it. well besides half the songs. the other half though *.*

i'm so ready for a gagomeback.

Well I'm no fan of the MANKY TROUT but I'm ALL FOR lovely ameraal discussing it again :disco:

i mean in the "classics" forum. it's hardly catfights and spotlights but we've discussed any other year old piece of shit album here, haven't we?

unless we have and i'm just drunk. which is very likely as i've just heard mary jane holland for the first time in its entirety and didn't even hateateate it.

07 Aura
10 Venus - HATED this when it first came out but only now do I appreciate its sheer fabulosity. It is that moment at the end of the night, eight K ciders in, when you are a total mess to sober eyes but in that moment you know you are at peak creativity and if they don't appreciate FRANKLY THEY AREN'T WORTH HUMANITY. WHEN U TOUCH ME I DIE JUST A LIL INSIDE *opens grindr and invites that ropey 37 year old with the nice arse over*
09 G.U.Y. - I'm really sorry I'm not a bottom so I can't appreciate this fully but I really enjoy the hooks. Just remembered this album is SUPER FAB for middle eights
11 Sexxx Dreams - this is the best track of the last two years. The perfect marriage of dirty lust, hooks and lyrixxx. i can't believe i'm telling you this but i've had a couple of drinks and omgg
00 Jewels N Drugs - No.
08 ManICURE - Shut Up And Drive was always one of the most unappreciated tracks of the last ten years but I'm not sure it justified full-on recreation
10 Do What U Want - a true slut anthem. Louf has definitely contracted HIV to this in his absence and that is a total compliment to this hot track
09 Artpop - Gaga's never tried to do seductive grooves before now, but it really suits her. I'd love to hear more of this kind of thing.
-1 Swine - This epitomises everything appalling about ARTPOP and EDM since 2012. Aggressive, ugly production prioritised over hooks, and I'm delighted this sound has starved to death since I was last subjected to it, because it's utterly fucking dreadful.
08 Donatella - a camp smirk of a track that you endure as the two minute self-indulgent moment of your fag over drinks. Fun for the time but any longer and you'd have to consider cutting off relations permanently.
08 Fashion - the camp smirk of that OTHER friend in your group (who likes Justice).
05 Mary Jane Holland - a 10 of a middle eight - Queen, Steps, and ABBA all in one. A shame the rest the track's a total 00.
07 Dope - nowhere near as satisfying as it was at the time, but nowhere near as bad as its critics insist.
11 Gypsy - the perfect heat 4 song 8 moment that Suomi diagnosed it as at the time. Simultaneously wistful, hopeful and life-affirming, as the greatest song 32s are. This is the track that gives me hope in future Gaga - even as a death song, this song would leave me optimistic for whatever came after.

It's not as bad as Born This Way but I still only enjoy three or four tracks out of the whole thing.

Voted 10 thinking it's about the song, which is inarguably one of the best on the album.

Artpop is the song, ARTPOP is the album.

My ARTPOP COULD mean ANYthing! :disco:

Good backing tracks in search of a tune, really. Was surprised Do What U Want wasn't bigger.

It's not as bad as Born This Way but I still only enjoy three or four tracks out of the whole thing.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say, Artpop, Gypsy and Do What U Want are all staggeringly brilliant though (and G.U.Y is very good) so I took that as a WIN after only keeping Edge and Americano off BTW.

06 Aura
03 Venus
08 G.U.Y.
06 Sexx Dreams
00 Jewels N Drugs
04 Manicure
10 Do What U Want
10 Artpop
00 Swine
06 Donatella
06 Fashion
06 Mary Jane Holland
06 Dope
11 Gypsy
07 Applause

Last edited:
Now that the dust has settled

06 Aura
11 Venus
08 G.U.Y.
08 Sexx Dreams
02 Jewels N Drugs
06 Manicure
10 Do What U Want
09 Artpop
06 Swine
07 Donatella
07 Fashion
09 Mary Jane Holland
07 Dope
10 Gypsy
10 Applause

Only RB's rate includes "Applause" !

As a song, I think it's completely underrated. Puts me IN MIND of having to PRETEND IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY to get a DJ to play it.

I haven't changed my mind about this; there's a rubbish, yet rather fabulous mini-album in this mess. Nowadays I love it more for nostalgic reasons. It really reminds me of my favourite time in Moopy and also of that wonderful autumn of '13.

10 Aura
10 Venus
10 G.U.Y
08 Sexxx Dreams
10 Do What U Want
08 Artpop
07 Gypsy
10 Applause

-1 to the rest.

So, I'm giving this another listen back-to-back to see if I still hate the tracks I originally hated and if I still love the tracks that fascinated me

05 Aura - If this continued throughout with the sentiment of the chorus it would've been a proper 10. The verses are just noise to my ears.
08 Venus - Fun!
08 G.U.Y - I enjoyed this more than I remember doing in the past actually
05 Sexx Dreams - It's ok, but it still doesn't do wonders for me
01 Jewels N Drugs - What was the point of this I wonder... There's some underlying something in there that could have made it a more interesting song, but it got lost in far too many ideas and noise.
05 Manicure - Another alright song, but just that
10 Do What U Want - Still love it. This should've been absolutely huge. Pity.
10 Artpop - Adore this
07 Swine - This lost 3 points to being a perfect 10 with the odd 'swine!' gaga-isms in the middle. The rest is very good.
09 Donatella - I still really like this. When Gaga does pure pop she's at her best.
10 Fashion! - Masterpiece. Absolutely gorgeous song! Looking good and feeling fine....
08 Mary Jane Holland - I've no idea what the song is all about, never bothered to decipher the lyrics, but I really like it
03 Dope - A bit pompous and oversung
10 Gypsy - I'm gypsy, gypsy, gypsy hey! Love it! Being a citizen of the world myself, it speaks right to my heart
10 Applause - Great album closer

Overall score - 7.3/10

Last edited:
Only RB's rate includes "Applause" !

As a song, I think it's completely underrated. Puts me IN MIND of having to PRETEND IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY to get a DJ to play it.

Of COURSE Ms Academia loves 'some of us just LIKE TO READ' (I do too :disco:)

09 Applause - totally ill-placed right after Gypsy (to the extent I always forget it's there), but this is the sound of a self-indulgent queen lording her intelligence over everyone to the expense of hot hooks and them responding with a big shrug. More than anything this track is responsible for Gaga falling out of the big leagues - but god it was worth it :disco:

this track is responsible for Gaga falling out of the big leagues

Who's left in the 'big leagues' anyway? I don't believe them to be half as creative and original as Gaga.

Still so FUCKING GOOD

09 Aura
11 Venus
10 G.U.Y.
10 Sexx Dreams
00 Jewels N Drugs
10 Manicure
10 Do What U Want
10 Artpop
08 Swine
08 Donatella
09 Fashion
08 Mary Jane Holland
09 Dope
10 Gypsy
08 Applause

Not bad, but Born This Way was 10x better. Well, at least 5x.

Applause is truly THE sound of an emancipated popstar pretending to be David Bowie/Marina Abramovic after reading a book about performance art and wanking herself off over a cheap EDM beat for three minutes.

I do like her but I wish she'd backed a different horse with the production, she could have struck gold with a couple more Daft Punk rip-offs and it would have matched the crazy popstar artist from outer space vibe. Let the pissing on everyone's chips begin:

03 Aura
06 Venus
07 G.U.Y.
09 Sexxx Dreams
00 Jewels n' Cultural Appropriation
05 Manicure
09 Do What U Want
08 ARTPOP
00 Swine
06 Donatella
09 Fashion!
05 Mary Jane Holland
02 Dope
07 Gypsy
06 Applause

Last edited:
I like Aura, Venus for the ridiculous mess it was :D and probably Artpop. The rest oscillates between shit and unlistenable.

"Applause" seemed reductive in the beginning, but it really has revealed itself to be a WORK OF ART.

09 Aura
06 Venus
07 G.U.Y.
08 Sexxx Dreams
09 Jewels n' Drugs
07 Manicure
10 Do What U Want
10 ARTPOP
06 Swine
06 Donatella
02 Fashion!
04 Mary Jane Holland
05 Dope
10 Gypsy
10 Applause

08 Aura
10 Venus
07 G.U.Y.
08 Sexxx Dreams
04 Jewels n' Drugs
09 Manicure
11 Do What U Want
11 ARTPOP
07 Swine
07 Donatella
07 Fashion!
08 Mary Jane Holland
06 Dope
10 Gypsy
10 Applause

Who's left in the 'big leagues' anyway? I don't believe them to be half as creative and original as Gaga.

In terms of artists who could reasonably expect to shove everyone out of the way and get to #1 (or top three) with a proper pop release in the next week, I'd say it's probably the following:

- Beyoncé
- Katy Perry
- Miley Cyrus
- Kanye (if he did a pop track)
- Taylor Swift
- P!nk?
- Adele
- Rihanna

I'd say only Kanye has similar creativity to Gaga, but then she has kind of made a conscious choice to prioritise it over mass appeal

I would only compare Gypsy to The Edge Of Glory. And I love both of them.

- Beyoncé
- Katy Perry
- Miley Cyrus
- Kanye (if he did a pop track)
- Taylor Swift
- P!nk?
- Adele
- Rihanna

Beyoncé and Adele are the only ones I'd consider being 'big league' but I don't think the former has that much input in her own songs as Gaga does and the latter doesn't play in the same field as Gaga (although of course can't deny that she has a lot of creative input in what she sings).

You don't think P!nk is big league? Each of her last 3 albums sold multi-platinum and gave her a number one hit... it's crazy that people still don't think she's an A-list popstar

And of course Katy isn't big - I mean, she only had two number ones in the last two years and sure, she played the Superbowl, but that's nothing compared to doing the ITUNES FESTIVAL right?!?!?

:rolleyes:

You don't think P!nk is big league? Each of her last 3 albums sold multi-platinum and gave her a number one hit... it's crazy that people still don't think she's an A-list popstar

But she's a bit anonymous compared to the others and keeps doing the same ole schtick. She sells, but quietly.. no one gives a shit about her as a person.

But she's a bit anonymous compared to the others and keeps doing the same ole schtick. She sells, but quietly.. no one gives a shit about her as a person.

Does that make her somehow less relevant than Gaga, who's a big personality selling a third as much?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom