Kylie - Disco (album 15)

She also hasn't signed anything this time around I see.

YET.

Though I suppose she's not going to be in contention for any chart battles this year so she may not feel like bothering herself.

I'll be getting the deluxe CD and trying to stop myself picking up the extended vinyl.

That Jessie duet sounds very exciting. I'm intrigued as to what they have come up with for the Gloria collaboration too.

Considering Say Something is a Top 5 all time career high, a huge achievement this far into her career, I am curious whether another single from the album reboot can match/top it. But a Jessie Ware collab is a great place to start and based on that description she might actually do it!

1. Kylie and Years & Years – A Second To Midnight
2. Kylie and Jessie Ware – Kiss Of Life
3. Kylie and Gloria Gaynor – Can’t Stop Writing Songs About You

4. Kylie and Dua Lipa (Studio 2054 Remix)
9. Kylie and Dua Lipa – Real Groove (Studio 2054 Initial Talk Remix)

Considering Say Something is a Top 5 all time career high, a huge achievement this far into her career, I am curious whether another single from the album reboot can match/top it. But a Jessie Ware collab is a great place to start and based on that description she might actually do it!
I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Jessie collab is a "leftover" from the WYP sessions. so not necessarily expecting a classic by those standards. but it shouldn't be hard to knock quite a bit harder than the majority of Disco 💄 (said with love!)

Kiss of Life ft. Jessie Ware. 03:13. Written by Danny Parker, James Ford, Jessie Ware, Kylie Minogue & Shungudzo. (Would assume production by James Ford)

As if news of her imminent return to the outback wasn't bad enough (turns out she has already moved anyway), she's looking forward to having her bogan accent back:

Last edited:
In better news, good to see her concurring with Vinny Jones's bellend appraisal of her ex.

sounds like she's definitely wanting and is going to tour Disco. I am liking the extended ERA

Honestly, this sums up what a loss to London she will be:

‘For gay Londoners, Kylie Minogue has been the capital’s walking fairy-dust — its joy valve’​

After 30 years in the capital, Kylie Minogue is packing up her Knightsbridge penthouse and moving back to her native Australia. Paul Flynn reflects on the indelible mark she left on London’s gay scene
1342466221.jpg

Kylie Minogue performing on the Pyramid Stage on the fifth day of the Glastonbury Festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset
Kylie Minogue marks 52nd birthday with adorable throwback snap
Kylie Minogue in her 'I should be so lucky' video
Kylie Minogue in her 'Spinning around' video

BY
PAUL FLYNN
6 hours ago

When Kylie Minogue first visited London in the summer of 1987, she was still known as Charlene Mitchell, Neighbours’ tomboy teenage mechanic. When she was dispatched halfway around the world for a week in order to gauge her international pop appeal at songwriters’ Stock, Aitken and Waterman Hit Factory on Borough High Street, Minogue was 19 years old.

For six consecutive days she turned up to work, only to be sent packing to see the sights, so high was the demand for record producer Pete Waterman’s magic pop touch at the time. On day seven, Waterman’s fellow hitmaker Matt Aitken was informed of the presence of an Australian soap actress sitting in reception, waiting to record with the trio. “She should be so lucky,” he noted, accidentally igniting an iconic 34-year love affair between Kylie Minogue and her chosen home.
kylieminogue0203p.jpg

Between 1991-2021, London has been Kylie’s most enduring, tenacious and thrilling romance. Her Chelsea postcode has housed one of pop’s most mesmerising and consistent arcs, dotted with brilliantly high voltage songs of innocence to experience. This week, Kylie announced the end of the affair. Less lachrymose heartbreak, more conscious uncoupling, as she heads back to Australia to enjoy her autumnal years.

During her three London decades here, Kylie has become emblematic of the city’s habit for locating its inner camp and letting its hair down. She is living proof of London’s instinctive knack for unlocking the best version of yourself, should you be open and curious enough to let it. Kylie has been London’s pre-eminent club kid, fashion plate, gay heroine, resident cabaret diva and most eligible bachelorette, often all at once. She is the happiness in the room. The innocent Minogue who landed has alchemised into an imported Joanna Lumley or Helen Mirren in waiting, one of the city’s unequivocal people’s Dames. It’s oddly unimaginable to think of the city without her in it, sashaying up and down the Kings Road.

kyliesingingivy.jpg

On arrival, Minogue quickly became synonymous with the best of the city, displaying an expert’s homing device for locating exactly the right place at the right time. She spent her arriviste years in the bars of Soho, when the orange and white furnishings of Riki Tik made it the place to be and be seen in the mid-to-late Nineties. She’d be spotted by excitable queens shopping in the Michiko Koshino store or dancing at The Gardening Club in a Pam Hogg one-piece. She got stuck in, quickly.

Kylie tripped through the tail-end of Kensington Market and Hyper-Hyper, tracing the curve of British fashion as it became something more daring, dazzling and global under Galliano and McQueen. She was photographed and styled by the greats – Juergen Teller, Stephen Meisel, Judy Blame – at the precise moment London style titles peaked.

She flew on the tailwinds of Britpop as its chic accomplice, rolling around a bed with Bobby Gillespie on the cover of Select magazine, reading poetry on stage at the Royal Albert Hall with Nick Cave, covering Saint Etienne songs. She took a chance on the new – finding her longest-standing stylist, William Baker, while working the counter of the Conduit Street Vivienne Westwood store and elevating the visionary young pop video auteur Dawn Shadforth to capture her Spinning Around in gold hotpants.
kylieminogue0203zq.jpg
s
In 2007, she launched an album by DJ-ing at Hoxton Square Sunday nightspot, Boombox with erstwhile London nightlife favourite, Princess Julia, escaping the decks to jump on a bartop and freestyle to Girls Aloud. For her 50th birthday party, she turned the secret room at Chiltern Firehouse into a gossip chamber. Kylie Minogue knew everybody interesting in London because everybody interesting in London, at one point or another, wanted to know Kylie Minogue. There wasn’t a furtive corner of the city she didn’t commandeer.

As gay men, we sat back and watched, slack-jawed as she reinvented her suburban DNA into stone cold Metropolitan ambition. For 30 years, Kylie has been the capital’s walking fairy-dust, its joy valve. She was the realisation of all London’s hopeful interlopers.

Throughout it all, Ms Minogue has earned herself every right to kick off her heels, reconnect with family, sip a cocktail on a sun-kissed Australian beach and call time on her London life. But every Londoner who saw a little piece of themselves in the personal transubstantiation of Kylie will miss her deeply. She exits, as she arrived, with a smile.

Will she REALLY though? It’s not like you often can catch up with her at M&Ms World at Leicester Square

Kylie Ann Minogue NOTED for just constantly spinning on the London Eye.

She’s going back home to spend time with her elderly parents and her iconic sister. We’re literally not going to notice ANY difference on our day to day lives.

Look, in reality, I entirely agree with @monsta on this one, but I’ll be using it on any of my Brexit-voting friends as yet more evidence.

IF I ACTUALLY KNEW ANYONE WHO ADMITTED TO VOTING FOR BREXIT.

Still out of stock at the Kylie store, but now available on amazon.

There are track lengths in the last picture on Amazon. Were these known before?

Some of the songs are only extended to four minutes something.

There are track lengths in the last picture on Amazon. Were these known before?

Some of the songs are only extended to four minutes something.

That made me raise an eyebrow too.

I'd also completely forgotten about the new single so I think I just won't bother getting any of these new variants.

Just noticed the track lengths too. The worst track also gets the longest extension. Hmm

:disco: at the extended Say Something though. Almost 2 minutes extra.

Surely, these will be getting a digital release? I've just placed an order with Amazon but if they are done right, I'd be happy to have this as my primary Disco player so I'd like the option of downloading them.

I didn't take note of the track lengths, and I'm struggling to tell if some of them are 5 or 6 minutes from that pic, but either way we're only looking at 16 minutes or so each side, aren't we?

I don't think I was expecting a full on 15 minutes Patrick Rowley I Feel Love for each track, but I do think half of them not even hitting 5 minutes isn't great.

My expectation is additional production and vocals (though I agree it would have been nice to have longer edits). If it is not met, I'll make no bones about returning it.

I honestly hope this isn't lazily done but I have a bad feeling that it might be.

Anyway, despite saying I wouldn't bite again, I have now been swept up by gay hyperbole and ordered it from amazon. I figured I have a two month cooling off period to cancel.

Also I'd much rather the producers of each track who have access to the original stems undertake the mixes as opposed to one person such as Steve Anderson.

I think it's her best album in a long while. Golden wasn't really her shtick (though I really liked it) and in terms of her creative investment the BMG albums have been a stark contrast to her Parlophone records.

At the end of the day though, it depends on what you expect from her. By and large she isn't really someone who pushes the boundaries and though I'd have loved an album like What's Your Pleasure from her - it is unlikely to happen any time soon. She always seems intent on creating the next "bop" and I have long since accepted that.

Last edited:
those four, Magic and I Love It are all wonderful. then there's quite a gulf to the quality of the other six + bonuses.

it's an enjoyable album though. nothing ambitious, but it does hit the spot and at this point in her career she's probably done pushing boundaries.

A smattering of great tracks and then the rest is something of a pattern for her, isn't it?

I do think in the case of Disco it hangs together as an album better than most, but it isn't a 'great album'. I do think as a whole it's a GOOD one, though.

The following Disco tracks are TOP TIER imo:

Say Something
Miss A Thing
Dance Floor Darling
Real Groove

All 10s

Say Something is the only one that feels like it's up there in the canon for me. Everything else is just MUSH.

Since Dance Floor Dancing was officially a single, I'd say Miss A Thing is one of her best album tracks EVER. It's lush. It wouldn't sound out of place on Body Language.

I can't wait for the extended version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom