Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)

Let's exchange the experience...

• Total voters
Oh I wouldn't even TRY to resist! :D
My BIGGEST fault is that I still try to be nice to everybody. Although working for an MP has increased the temptation (and likelihood) of turning me into a cynical old bitch.

I can totally see this being here to stay now as an "Africa or "Everywhere" 80s classic that consistently bubbles away at #101 on the weekly charts and still "sells" six figures each year

Now someone persuade the Duffers to soundtrack their next series with "Orinoco Flow"

UK number 1 again :disco:
55GPNKb.gif

Also third week at number 1 in Ireland
7nHNTUy.gif

About to go top 20 on US pop radio, back into the top 10 on Apple Music, and the finale is released today...

I’m thinking hot 100 #1 next week

Another website update from Kate's Motorola Razr, this time about the final episodes of Stranger Things and knock off merch.

That statement from Placebo fella though, Jesus Christ

“So yeah I might just take a little look at some Beethoven sequences and see if I can just add some touches because the string section sounds a bit samey and the chord sequence in the third concerto just seems a bit off to me…”

Reactions: VoR
Too fast to appreciate the lyric? Perhaps his brain is just too slow.

It's thanks to people like him we have all those insipid piano ballad covers of stonking pop songs.

RUTH in one word for me: lustre.

I feel so validated in my historic dislike of the Placebo placebo version. Their RUTH is no Johnny and Mary that's for sure.

One more: their RUTH has no truth.

And also, 90s Stefan Olsdal to spunk up my walls any day.

Running down that clock: In the fifth frame of its renaissance, inspired by its use in multiple episodes of the fourth season of Netflix’s hugely popular Stranger Things sci-fi/horror series, Running Up That Hill is No.1 for the third straight week for Kate Bush. However, with consumption down 17.26% week-on-week to 65,013 units (4,214 from digital downloads, the rest from sales-equivalent streams), its reign may be coming to a close.

After three weeks of decline, it is set to return to ACR next week, meaning that the value of its streams will be halved, making its continued presence at the summit doubly difficult, even though the release today (July 1) of the final two episodes of Stranger Things – with more dramatic events associated with the Upside Down - is sure to result in increased streaming over the next few days.

From Music Week

I think it was likely to surrender #1 next week anyway. Let's hope it doesn't fall too far.

Kiesza's done a very acceptable cover of Running Up That Hill:

And I'm sure she wouldn't quibble about eighties synths on the original:

My latest obsession is 20-something Kate attempting to flog The Dreaming on entirely inappropriate Saturday morning TV shows for children :D

I love how she's so ill-equipped to deal with inane light entertainment chatter.

"Do you have a local STORE that you like to go to?"
"Yeah I do... for... vegetables and... things like that" :square:

It'll be mostly Radio 2 - top song on Radio 2 will probably get you into the Top 20 airplay alone. But I imagine every adult pop radio station is rinsing her. Throw in the love from the alternative stations and a couple of plays on Radio 1 and you've got yourself a radio hit. But #1 is NOT an easy feat. It's incredible really - radio tends not to touch "re-issues" unless they're official, not as a result of a TV show/advert/movie etc. This is sort of unprecedented.

She hasn't been playlisted by Radio 2 at all, has she?

She certainly isn't on the current playlist, and I don't think I've seen her on it the last couple of weeks.

Oh hang on, the playlist is NEW MUSIC playlist isn't it?

I had it on for a few mornings early this week and certainly heard it two or three times.

Yesterday my mother said to me "I'm getting a little bit sick of Running Up That Hill to be honest"

It's going to be difficult to never speak to her again but she left me with no other choice

You think that's bad? I can hear my mother saying "every old sock meets an old shoe."

No idea what she's on about.

To be fair to my mum, she grew up with a Kate-obsessed sister, then had a Kate-obsessed son, so RUTH is probably low-key triggering to her at this point

Still, no excuse :angry:

Oh hang on, the playlist is NEW MUSIC playlist isn't it?

I had it on for a few mornings early this week and certainly heard it two or three times.

Yup and Radio 2 has the most wide ranging daily playlist, unlike Radio 1 which rinses the same songs on loop, Radio 2 DJs have more space to play classic songs. I imagine every DJ slot is playing it at least once throughout the day. That's really going to do big numbers on airplay. It's probably the most played song on Radio 2 without even being on the playlist.

I am genuinely curious as to why ‘The Dreaming’ was inappropriate for Kids television?

It was 1982, where else was she going to promote it?

It does make me wonder how different my life might have been if CD:UK circa 1998 had made room for PJ Harvey shrieking her way through Taut while 12 year old me happily tucked into his Weetabix.

It was quite common to read people critique the "loud 80s drums" and I even remember it being said on the moop. I do disagree though.

What is this from @Robbie (has it really been two years since he posted here?) on ukmix?

from Music Week chartpack:

Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)
This week’s sales: 65,013 | Downloads: 4,214 |
Streams: 60,799 | Total sales to date: 993,050

I thought we established it had already sold a million a couple of weeks back, after initially thinking it hadn't?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom