Kate Bush - Running Up That Hill (A Deal With God)

Let's exchange the experience...

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Rumours abound that a new version of this song will be somehow featured in the Olympic closing ceremony, but what do you think of the original?

A rare (and fabulous) live performance:

Last edited:
A stunning song.

One of my all time favourites.

Was Kate shagging that guy in the video - he's dreamy?

He's GORGEOUS but I doubt it. Wasn't she still with Del Palmer in 1986?

Plus not to stereotype, but professional male dancer = surely at least 50% chance he didn't swing that way? :D

I'm not even really a Kate Bush fan, but you ca't argue with a song like this.

Maybe you could punctuate your Dinlo does... Eurovision threads with Dinlo Discovers Kate Bush? :disco:

She's fucking fabulous.

Maybe you could punctuate your Dinlo does... Eurovision threads with Dinlo Discovers Kate Bush? :disco:

She's fucking fabulous.

Maybe I should fuck Dark Carnival and cancel a move to Japan, too? :D

(luv u Didz RIP)

It's obviously incredible, but I do wish there wasn't that one REALLY SHORT BLOKE wearing a mask in the video, because it always annoys me when I spot him.

Needless to say, if my criticisms are THAT specific and minor there's nothing else that can be faulted - it might actually be my favourite song of ALL TIME :disco:

I remember being MESMERISED by the video as a child.

She's so ridiculously beautiful.

what an unfortunate screencap in that video, it looks like she's being RIMMED.

obviously this is a stellar 11/10 moment, not only in her already brilliant canon, but in SONG HISTORY. even the fact that she "quite likes" it herself is a testament to how good it is. :disco:

If there ever was a clear 10/10 moment in this forum...

My favourite part is probably the instrumental - I instantly like songs that rip this off (hello Royksopp and Santigold)

The only trouble is now if you do a poll for "Cloudbusting" you're going to need an 11 option.

Pop! should explain why he only gives this a 9? Why does it lose a mark?

I've watched this video about 10 times since this thread was posted and it just keeps getting better each time. Definitely in my top 5 favourite songs of all time.

I only got into La Bush after seeing the cheesy 80's movie 'She's having a baby'. The scene in the film where Kevin Bacon is crying in the hospital waiting room while Elizabeth McGovern is giving birth has Kate singing 'This woman's work'. That song is the only thing I remember about that film. It made me cry. I became a Kate fan after.

'Running up that Hill' is my favourite Kate song.

Pop! should explain why he only gives this a 9? Why does it lose a mark?

I like it a lot - it's probably my favorite of the Kate Bush tracks I've heard. But I've never been able to fully get into it/Kate Bush. The last chorus is most definitely a 10/10 and quite haunting but the track as a whole is not something I get the urge to put on very often.

I only got into La Bush after seeing the cheesy 80's movie 'She's having a baby'. The scene in the film where Kevin Bacon is crying in the hospital waiting room while Elizabeth McGovern is giving birth has Kate singing 'This woman's work'. That song is the only thing I remember about that film. It made me cry. I became a Kate fan after.

'Running up that Hill' is my favourite Kate song.

Aw, that's lovely. TWW is an interesting song to start with, quite low-profile as far as she's concerned, but a great one!

RUTH got me into Kate. I'd heard Wuthering Heights when I was younger, but when I was 16 I saw the RUTH video on a music channel and just thought, 'Wow'. I just dove into her back catalogue after that. I think the next song of hers I heard was 'Love and Anger' and I was totally sold!

I saw Wuthering Heights for a second in some advert for some naff 80s compilation and became obsessed and pestered my mum to hunt it down for me. She eventually found a neighbour who recorded it on tape for me :D in the meantime she gave me her CD Hounds of Love to "tide me over"

Kate's sort of like a cult though. I'd liked 'Wuthering Heights' and RUTH and some other songs before I heard 'This woman's work' on the 80's movie. TWW was like the question that finally got Tom Cruise addicted to scientology, for me. Afterwards I became slightly obsessed with her. I had recorded the film on VHS and I rewound that scene repeatedly.

I don't listen to her that much these days, but about once a year if the mood strikes I'll have a full on Kate Bush youtube evening with a glass of lambrusco.

I don't remember which Kate song I heard first. I just remember Wuthering Heights, Wow, Babooshka, Cloudbusting and Running Up That Hill all being staples of VH1 classic (which I used to watch all the time) and being utterly bewitched by her.

I don't remember which Kate song I heard first. I just remember Wuthering Heights, Wow, Babooshka, Cloudbusting and Running Up That Hill all being staples of VH1 classic (which I used to watch all the time) and being utterly bewitched by her.

This message was nearly quite spooky as I remember seeing those videos, along with The Red Shoes, playing on Vh1 on some sort of Top 5 Kate programme, and I was utterly transfixed. The EXPERIENCE of listening to the album Hounds of Love with my headphones at my desk, not doing anything but concentrating on the music was unforgettable. I can't quite remember the order I bought the albums in now, it may have been The Whole Story next, but the Vh1 segment kind of dictated it. I was obsessed with The Red Shoes as a tracl, it's so alert and cackles with momentum - the album gets a bad rap, having the audacity to be relatively 'straight-forward.' Big Stripey Lie, every line on the verses of And So Is Love sounding like a kiss, Moments of Pleasure rippling from the same melancholia as This Woman's Work (almost), devouring every mouth-watering second of the frankly revolting Eat The Music, Rubberband Girl being totally underrated for daring not to be a po-faced sci-fi sensual sex-pot onslaught, and I could simply list every song on the album, but the b-sides You Want Alchemy and Show A Little Devotion are equally powerful parades of Kate being unabashedly aroused in pure emotion, swerving out of control at points in marvelous style, you either have to duck for cover or let them hit you like a truck, but they're also so gentle, kind and soft. It's such a special, often neglected album.

I like it a lot - it's probably my favorite of the Kate Bush tracks I've heard. But I've never been able to fully get into it/Kate Bush. The last chorus is most definitely a 10/10 and quite haunting but the track as a whole is not something I get the urge to put on very often.

Americans! TSK TSK.

Looking at Kate's chart positions in the US it's not that strange.

This is just exquisite. As great as both the lyrical content and her vocals are, the production is definitely what sold it to me!

Not sure I call recall the use of said word in many other songs.

i know some songs can't be bettered but i am enjoying this cover (and the cool video concept).

it's pretty faithful to the original but still brings a freshness to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom