Jessie J vs Natasha Bedingfield

do you do it like a dude or is the rest still unwritten?

• Total voters
Why do people not like Natasha Bedingfield? Some of her hits are really quite good and sort of enduring. I've never seen an interview with her though.

I mean some of her songs are basic AF (WildHorsesIWantToBeLikeYou), but they're nice.

Didn't Natasha kinda turn her nose up at the UK?
it was actually a (terrible) label-led decision to focus almost wholly on the US in the wake of Unwritten doing great and Pocketful of Sunshine smashing, not Natasha's choice.

They didn't even push Pocketful in the UK which was... bizarre to say the least. I don't think it even charted. Dumb!

I won’t ever fly Jet 2 because of Jess Glyne

also spitting her dummy out when she turned up to that restaurant in her pyjamas

@cwej bring back CUNT OF THE MONTH PLEASE

The only Natasha song I know is These Words which as you know made the cut on the incredibly successful Soldi’s 00s Night :eyes:

it was actually a (terrible) label-led decision to focus almost wholly on the US in the wake of Unwritten doing great and Pocketful of Sunshine smashing, not Natasha's choice.

They didn't even push Pocketful in the UK which was... bizarre to say the least. I don't think it even charted. Dumb!

They didn’t even release it. So strange, given it had a video and sold about 4 million in the US.

Anyhoo, Natasha is a bit annoying at times but overall there are some good, if for-the-masses, tunes in there.

Jessie is just a nightmare.

Natasha is clearly laughing all the way to the BANK with her massive US hits and substantial Pantene royalties :disco:

Natasha is clearly laughing all the way to the BANK with her massive US hits and substantial Pantene royalties :disco:
Quite a surprising number of Jessie J tracks north of 100 million views on Youtube... (plus Party In The USA, which is on for nearly a billion views :o)

Yeah but Jessie J had help from proper big hitters like Nicki Minaj and Ariana. And she STILL couldn't pull off a non-flop career

Just as a quick comparison on Youtube views / Spotify streams...

Natasha Bedingfield / YT / Spotify

Unwritten / 98 million / 346 million
Pocketful of Sunshine / 63 million / 131 million
These Words / 6.7 million (!) / 84 million
Love Like This (ft. Sean Kingston :basil:) / 25 million / 26 million
Soulmate / 24 million / 26 million

Jessie J / YT / Spotify

(Bang Bang / 1.6 billion (!) / 922 million)
Flashlight / 650 million / 365 million
Price Tag / 754 million / 286 million
Domino / 322 million / 237 million
Who's Laughing Now / 191 million
Who You Are / 164 million / 132 million
Do It Like A Dude / 139 million / 89 million

Natasha obviously disadvantaged a bit by having most of her hits before YouTube/streaming really got big, but you'd have to hope she invested those Unwritten US radio royalties well...

Yes but she’s not throwing away her savings on doomed grabs at the pink pound, is she?

I guess it’s a total mystery if she actually is or was big in China, they don’t release anything do they? Or I’ve never seen it cited.

I wonder what it’s like there, the numbers must be crazy.
“Oh we got the midweeks, the single has sold 1.3m copies”
“That’s so shit :( we were B-List at Wuhan FM”

Did we know Natasha went viral on Tik Tok twerking(?) to Unwritten?

I think that Unwritten and Pocketful of Sunshine were both bigger than any Jessie J hits in the US, and are definitely more remembered. Not counting Bang Bang, since I don’t think most people would even know it’s a Jessie j song

Reactions: VoR
Getting Nicki and Ariana on Bang Bang was quite the COUP, but it really did relegate Jessie to a feat. on her own song.

I think that Unwritten and Pocketful of Sunshine were both bigger than any Jessie J hits in the US, and are definitely more remembered. Not counting Bang Bang, since I don’t think most people would even know it’s a Jessie j song
Agreed. "Domino", "Price Tag" both had a nice run here, and "Bang Bang" was obviously unavoidable (she was disposable on it, though). However, "Unwritten" and "Pocketful of Sunshine" were among the biggest pop hits of those years and have lived on with advertisements, TV themes, etc. in the public consciousness.

"Touch" should have been huge too but it never really built any momentum.

Important to remember that Jessie J also has 'Party in the USA' 4th of July/foreign leader assassination streams to dine out on.

Agreed. "Domino", "Price Tag" both had a nice run here, and "Bang Bang" was obviously unavoidable (she was disposable on it, though). However, "Unwritten" and "Pocketful of Sunshine" were among the biggest pop hits of those years and have lived on with advertisements, TV themes, etc. in the public consciousness.

"Touch" should have been huge too but it never really built any momentum.

The other thing I’d observe is that Jessie’s hits are so painfully generic that the only distinguishing feature on them is her HORRIBLE HORRIBLE VOICE.

Not to imply that Natasha is some kind of Kate Bush figure, but she really cornered the market in that white girl #blessed aspirational gospel pop sound for a little while there. I bet more people (In America) know who the singer is when they hear Unwritten on the radio compared to, say, Domino.

Getting Nicki and Ariana on Bang Bang was quite the COUP.

but it's a demo Ariana Grande rejected in the first place :D!

The song was originally offered to and recorded by Grande, who didn't like the result. Republic Records EVP Wendy Goldstein then sent it to EVP Rob Stevenson who got a demo of the song played to Jessie J, which she decided to record. Following her recording, Republic Records sent it to Minaj to record her verse. Goldstein then sent it to CEO Monte Lipman, who insisted that Grande listen to it. Grande was impressed, surprised by Jessie J and Minaj also being on the song, and agreed to remain on the song. However, in interviews, Jessie J stated she recorded it first and that Martin wanted Grande on it too, so it is unclear if Jessie bent the truth or was not told by executives that Grande was first to record.

DEAD at the last sentence!

Hi Jessie! Meet a clearly alien concept known as EFFORTLESS VOCAL CONTROL

I love how the Moopy backlash to the Jessie J amnesty last week was to dredge up this thread, and compare her to Natasha Bedingfield of all people :D

Ok I actually quite like These Words :giggle:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom