Jennifer Hudson - Spotlight

LIVING under your SPOTLIGHT

• Total voters

Loufoque

BATTLE FOR YOUR LIFE
In preparation for her return to the UK consciousness next week, let's reassess her only REAL UK hit

HEE HEE

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually loved If This Isn't Love as much as Spotlight if only because of the overplay the latter received

A fantastic debut single. Loved the chart run too. 15-{11}-13-11-12-13-12-17-23-24-29-39

I never bought the album but I really like If This Isn't Love too.

She seems like her music career isn't being managed particularly well.

What does she actually DO these days? She's forever popping up on awards shows to sing tributes to people, but she hasn't had a HIT (at the box office or on the charts) since Sex and the City, has she?

It's a totally rubbish and gay choice but All Dressed In Love from the SATC soundtrack is my favourite Jennifer song by a mile. It's so perfect for a sunny day.

I think the second album did OKAY numbers in the US.

What does she actually DO these days? She's forever popping up on awards shows to sing tributes to people, but she hasn't had a HIT (at the box office or on the charts) since Sex and the City, has she?

Her second album had a good start in America but dropped fast due to poor promo.

Her role in Winnie is quite baity, but could just as easily show up her lack of RANGE. Trailer doesn't look amazing.

Last edited:
Well she is an absolutely abysmal actress, so I doubt that's going to do anything unless the Academy are feeling PARTICULARLY POLITICAL next year

I didn't see it (did ANYONE?) but she seemed to get out of The Secret Life Of Bees reasonably unscathed. Maybe she's had some lessons.

Last edited:
I absolutely adore 'I Remember Me'. One of my favourite songs of the year.

I am ALL ABOUT If This Isn't Love, not so much this though. The new album is much better than the first, although lacks the TOWERING HIGH of ITIL.

Spotlight is amazing but her album from this year is actually PRETTY GOOD with at least 4 AMAZING SONGS that could have come from Alicia's last album, including "Where You At" and these three hidden gems:

"Why Is It So Hard" is one of my favourite songs of 2011. Jennifer Hudson? Who'd have thunk.

Where You At? is slightly rousing in a 6/10 sorta way. But "Spotlight" and "If This Isn't Love" are terrific, they're not at all trendy or plastic sounding like a lot of late 2000s R&B sounds yet come across very glossy and natural.

They didn't know how to manage her with the second album. They gave her material that was far too old/dull for her, and therefore it only really did average numbers and did nothing to capitalize the success and good will toward the first album.

Last edited:
*insert generic Jennifer Hudson rant here, now available in dozens of other threads bar this one*

This is probably her best track and massively elevated by the remix. I can't say I ever need to hear it again though.

I'm always amused that Jennifer has managed to make it as far as she has. I mean, she's only a passable vocalist whose range extends from SHRIEK to BELLOW and the less said about her "acting" ability, the BETTER. The only role I've ever seen her bring a fitting level of artistry to is her role as "Saint" Louise in SATC and that's only because the requisite level of artistry there was ZERO.

I'm listening to the second album and by God it's a chore, her voice is too shouty and overwhelming on some of the songs. 'Spotlight' remains great but I'm sorry to have bothered to investigate further.

A great song, and kind of instantly sounded like an old classic, which is a pop trick not easy to pull off. Trying to think of another example, I know there is a recent one

The only role I've ever seen her bring a fitting level of artistry to is her role as "Saint" Louise in SATC and that's only because the requisite level of artistry there was ZERO.

Let's face it, you may as well CALL IT A DAY when your appearance in Sex & The City is less watchable than GERU.

*Kim Cattrall delivers lines through gritted teeth*

Ms Hudson now joins the likes of LIZA, BABS and WHOOPI as an EGOT. :disco:

It's a bit nebulous as she won her Tony last night for 'Producing' the musical Strange Loop, alongside RuPaul who is now also technically an Emmy and Tony Award winner. :D

BABS and LIZA only count if you include non-competitive awards, so Jen Hud trumps both of them

In THEORY ONLY :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom