Happy Valley

Sharla

The Resistance
Has anyone been watching?

I caught up with the first four episodes last night after my mother wouldn't stop raving about it and it's wonderful. Think Ken Loach directs Fargo, with Sarah Lancashire as Frances McDormand and Steve Pemberton as William H Macy.

Some of the newspapers have got their knickers in a twist and calling it too violent for daring to show that when someone punches you in the face you ended up bloodied and bruised. And of course it's what they don't show that's even more disturbing

Highly recommended, with two episodes left.

I watched the first episode and it didn't grab me to carry on. I love Sarah Lancashire though and I have heard a few people say it's been really good.

I've been watching and I think the series has built tremendously - the climax to last week's episode was proper edge of the seat stuff and it really leaves you wondering where they will take it for the remaining two.

I really wouldn't mess with Sarah Lancashire in this, and yes, she has been most impressive.

I've just sat and watched the 5 episodes back to back and I've been gripped and can't wait to watch the last one airing this coming week.

Sarah Lancashire is fierce in this one and the whole thing really is very well filmed, scripted and acted.

Away from the thriller aspect of it, the scenes resolving around the grandson are exceptional. You can understand why she hates him and what he represents to her, but also why she loves him.

I really have no idea how it's going to conclude: it's conceivable TLR could remain at large, but my instinct tells me the dialogue from episode 1 will not be wasted.

On the other hand it would be the exquisite satisfaction you’d get. From grinding his severed scrotum into the mud with the underside of your shittiest shoe. And then burying his worthless carcass in a shallow grave up on the moors where it can rot. Undisturbed and unloved. Until the end of time.

Ad there's a potential twist that Tommy didn't actually rape her daughter, he seemed amazed by the accusation.

Roll on Tuesday.

Away from the thriller aspect of it, the scenes resolving around the grandson are exceptional. You can understand why she hates him and what he represents to her, but also why she loves him.

Yes, those scenes this week were excellent and as well as Sarah being so good the boy's part was played very well. I also enjoyed the slight comedy relief from SALON SAM.

Oh yes, Tommy Lee Royce is quite an attractive psycho as well:

PANews+BT_P-b95d9e65-5e5b-4f50-8f54-8619fb03bdc1_I1.jpg

So, did anyone watch the last episode?

I just did and it was a very good conclusion to the story.

I liked everything about Sarah Lancashire's acting. I think I'll research what else she's been on and try and watch it. Any suggestions?

A fitting end to a great series. The only thing that I didn't like was the drunken son rant about how awful his dead sister. The little boy playing Ryan was wonderful and I loved the Kylie cameo and the drug dealer's fat wife trying to walk on gravel in heels.

As for Sarah Lancashire, Last Tango In Paris is from the same writer as Happy Valley and she won a BAFTA for it last month. She's a power lesbian with a (gasp) black girlfriend and it's just marvellous. Five Daughters is also worth watching although she barely features. Going back some time, I remember My Fragile Heart being great - Abi Morgan wrote it - and Seeing Red was outstanding.

And she was great in Betty Blue Eyes.

One of the best series I've seen in a while, Sarah Lancashire was flawless! They should've made TLR uglier though, I don't want to fantasise about a rapist.

So, did anyone watch the last episode?

I just did and it was a very good conclusion to the story.

I enjoyed it very much and it felt like everything was pretty much tied up, which makes me wonder what they may do with the mooted second series.

I enjoyed it very much and it felt like everything was pretty much tied up, which makes me wonder what they may do with the mooted second series.

I was wondering that too. But they can always have Tommy escape prison or something and going back to claim his son or something.

And I think I'll be checking Last Tango in Halifax next.

The climax of episode 4 had me on the edge of the sofa covering my eyes :D Brilliantly done. It was nice to see it all tied up at the end too. One of the best things I've seen on TV in ages.

The only thing that I didn't like was the drunken son rant about how awful his dead sister.

I thought that was quite good, there have been hints about the sister not being the perfect little girl her mum wants her to have been. Also what she said to her son is quite awful.

Anyway, I thought this was great. The acting was superb especially Sarah Lancashire (she's like an even tougher version of Helen Mirren in Prime Suspect) she should win every possible acting award. But I also found it quite upsetting, I kept wanting one of the assholes to stop what he's doing and the amount of coincidences in the first three episodes was a bit silly.

I don't think they should show Tommy in the next series (or ever) it can be simply another case and I would like to see how the grandson turns up.

Think Ken Loach directs Fargo, with Sarah Lancashire as Frances McDormand and Steve Pemberton as William H Macy

Since I'm still thinking about this, you should totally watch the Fargo TV series Sharla. It is very similar to this (and the movie) but a bit loopier.

Last edited:
The second series starts in two weeks and I'm quite excited. I'm still agog that Sarah Lancashire didn't win the BAFTA for it.

I only saw a few seconds of the trailer and there's a shot of James Norton with a shaved head which will get folk twitching.

New additions to the cast include other Corrie refugees Katherine Kelly and Julie Hesmondhalgh.

Oh I didn't know this was getting a second season. Let's hope it fairs better than Broadchurch.

Last edited:
There's a 5 minute recap on iPlayer for anyone who wants a refresher ahead of tonight. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p03gyy5g/happy-valley-the-story-so-far

The outstanding Shirley Henderson is also in this, alongside Moseley from Downtown Abbey and the one from Harry Potter who went to the gym and stripped down to his pants for Attitude. However, in addition to Julie Hesmondhalgh there are another two Cucumber alumni who I hope don't cause anyone to have PTSD flashbacks.

Has there been any word of the second season is any good? I don't want another Broadchurch season 2 fiasco.

I've tried not to read too many articles but the feeling from the reviewers seems to be that while it's still amazing with wonderful performances it's also lighter in tone.

I'm probably the only person on earth who enjoyed Broadchurch 2 :D

Isn't this about another serial killer? Sticking to a formula can't rock the boat that much.

I never bother with Broadchurch season 2, the story ended with the first season. The same can be said for this but then Happy Valley was a far superior show.

Broadchurch 2's issues were mainly around the absolutely nonsensical trial storyline and that it had absolutely no similarity to the English legal system. And in retrospect having two Academy Award nominated actresses facing off against each other should really have brought far more fireworks.

Just watched Series 1 over the weekend and, despite a couple too many coincidences/caught-in-the-nick-of-time moments, it really is fantastic and Sarah is incredible. Can't wait for the new series.

COME THROUGH JULIE HESMONDHALGH

So excited for this. I thought S1 was MUCH better than Broadchurch, but didn't get nearly as much recognition.

Also, Sarah Lancashire is a genuinely exceptional actress.

Just watched Series 1 over the weekend and, despite a couple too many coincidences/caught-in-the-nick-of-time moments, it really is fantastic and Sarah is incredible. Can't wait for the new series

yay!!

Well they crammed a lot into THAT first ep. Great though. I hope we find out how poor old KEVIN is getting on at some stage.

Well I really enjoyed that after not really following the first series.

Can't go wrong with Queen Sarah Lancashire

Love how all northern dramas have basically the same cast

Last edited:
Ooh I enjoyed that a lot. NO idea where it's going to go, but that's part of the fun and the suspense. How are all these people going to be tied together?

Not that I'd usually blame the victim but Steph Barnes totally had that coming. And Poor Moseley's gonna get handy with a broken bottle to make it look like she's been the victim of the serial killer.

I just realised that in addition to all the Corrie survivors in this Joyce on the front desk is none other than Guizin from Eastenders, the feisty high spirited and high pitched sister in law of Ali Osman.

My tip for the killer is the strange boy who lives on the farm with Susan Lynch.

Last week is the last episode, right? Maybe something will finally happen.

Nothing did. Overall I thought this was a bit of a damp squib of a series. :(

The finale was a bit IS THAT IT. Especially with the Frances character - to go from standing outside in the rain looking in the window in such a sinister manner to just being given a bit of a talking-to in her living room... :bruised:

Last edited:
I Quite liked it, in the sense that not much happened, but I was still kind of gripped in that I am interested in the two main characters (the sisters)

I do think the next series needs to have a bit more Ooomph though

I thought the bit where the suicidal police offer started giving her advice on how to deal with his suicide was quite amusing and well done

I think I have followed this so much because it's filling my SCOTT AND BAILY void (special shout out to murdered Vicky Flemming) :D

Last edited:
I enjoyed it very much, though it did feel like the last episode switched focus from Frances and Tommy to the other storylines. Sarah Lancashire ticking creepy Frances off for basically thinking with her cunt regarding beautiful evil Tommy Lee Royce did tickle me even if I expected a bigger showdown.

I wanted her to at least smack her glasses off. Oh well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom