HAIM - Women In Music Pt III (album) + I Know Alone

I am OBSESSED with this little lot and this has made my day. I knew the album was coming but YAY

I am going to see them in Dublin in June.

Are we really living in a world where Haim, Jessie and Roisin all release albums in the same summer? :disco:

This is great, probably one of their best and a bit of vintage Sheryl about it (more musically than the vocals).

Signed CD from Amazon ORDERED. I see they've kindly tacked the three previous singles on the end.

new single

I like this poppy production - it's kind of hard to pinpoint anything else it sounds like, although the second half almost has a bit of Charli XCX about it

Last edited:
This song is far too good to receive ZERO COMMENTS

i have to say that i have been underwhelmed by everything after summer girl.
now i'm in it raped savage garden, the steps raped sheryl crow, the new one has yet to reveal its point.

even hallelujah was a bit meh in hindy.

It sounds a bit UK GARAGE?! This beat's gonna punish you.

Hallelujah is gorgeous and made me cry when I first heard it :(

this album is gonna be good stuff, I can feel it. Don't Wanna is just lovely. a new feature in Vulture basically says it's all kind of mellow or boppable emotional catharsis which sounds just great to ME

Album out Friday (with Jessie Ware!) - I'm SO excited, I really think it's gonna be a strong album. I love all the singles, Don't Wanna and I Know Alone are really serving.

Clips (old fashioned concept)

Holding off until tomorrow but I'm VERY EXCITED (but also not expecting a song that tops the title track of Days Are Gone)

RAVE review from Pitchfork.

I have to say, I totally lost interest with the second album. Now I’m In It was obviously amazing (very happy it made it onto the album, even as a bonus track).

Curiously perched and interested to give this a listen tomorrow!

I think they really needed these rave reviews too - they have felt like they’ve been edging towards complete public indifference for a while now.

This sounds like it’s gonna push them in the legacy artist direction, rather than the one album wonder.

Yeah nothing stands out in the way Now I'm In It or I Know Alone do. It's all perfectly lovely, I like 3AM and Another Try the most probably. But it's too laid back across the board. I'd have liked a bit of urgency, some of that energy from Honey & I / The Wire / Days Are Gone which is missing here.

Half way through and it’s all a bit COLLEGE ROCK isn’t it? All a bit noodley. NOT REALLY WHAT I WAS WANTING.

I wonder if after all the poppy singles flopped the label just let them do whatever they wanted.

Nothing flopped, it's HAIM! 20m+ streams for Now I'm In It is excellent. I doubt the label are telling them or have ever told them what to do.

I really like All That Ever Mattered.

Yeah nothing stands out in the way Now I'm In It or I Know Alone do. It's all perfectly lovely, I like 3AM and Another Try the most probably. But it's too laid back across the board. I'd have liked a bit of urgency, some of that energy from Honey & I / The Wire / Days Are Gone which is missing here.
Urgency! Yes, that's the perfect way of putting it. It is a bit too laid back for me. I love their voices and harmonies though so giving it a few listens won't be a chore. :)

Nothing flopped, it's HAIM! 20m+ streams for Now I'm In It is excellent. I doubt the label are telling them or have ever told them what to do.

FAIR POINTS tbh

I quite liked the album, deffo gonna take a few listens to bed in but some of it is lovely. I think The Steps is the weakest thing on there for me.

Deffo a hazy driving in California kind of VIBE

I think the album does get stronger as it goes on - the last third is the strongest, All That Ever Mattered and FUBT (what's the acronym for?) are my picks of the new stuff SO FAR.

This album is on another level to their previous stuff for me. Much more interesting production and the melodies are so much stronger.

#2 in the UK mids with 9k from Friday (mostly pre-orders I'm sure but should move 15k this week

So weird that those three amazing singles from last year are wedged on as bonus tracks, especially when they are far more single friendly that the majority of the album

first listen I like. Probably more of a grower. Some of the tracks sound very 90s Sheryl Crow. To the point where I thought Sheryl was on a few of the tracks

My cassettes arrived today!

95-A5-CB3-A-C607-4580-9-DF6-7-C82-A738-D9-EE.jpg

I need to give this album more of a go, the couple of listens so far have washed over me a bit, other than the singles. Being released the same day as Jessie didn't really do it any favours.

Is anyone else still trying to give this a fair shake in amongst all the iconic pop music right now? I recommend that you do. It's definitely not as instant as the debut album, nothing they've done since is (with the exception of "Now I'm In It") but this album is a real grower, I'm glad I stuck with it.

"FUBT" is the unexpected highlight, like a stadium ballad with its wrought acoustics and confessional lyrics. "Gasoline" and "I've Been Down" are blatant 90s Sheryl Crow pastiches, which totally works for me. And "Don't Wanna" is just great pop.

Definitely worth a deeper dive.

I really haven't kept apace with them since their debut. Do they still work with Ariel Rechtshaid?

It seems the album has been put back out with updates for two tracks - Thundercat has been added to "3am" and Taylor Swift has returned the favour after the fabulous "No Body No Crime" and added her vocals to my favourite track on the album, the Sheryl Crow ripoff "Gasoline". Taylor has certainly given the second verse a whole new life. It's being pushed as a new single on Amazon but I don't know if that means official new single or what...

Gasoline is far from my favourite thing on this record but the Taylor edit is quite nice.

It’s an understated track but when you put it in the context of listening to a new Sheryl Crow record aged 21 while at University, it takes on a whole new meaning ...

I love that it TAKES YOU ON A TRIP funks! :disco:

their music is largely very timeless - Don't Wanna could be from any time between '95 and '21. maybe that's why I don't vibe with 3AM (original) that much - it's a bit too much of an homage to a specific sound from a set period in time. but the Toro Y Moi edit totally fixes THAT ISSUE

um... wig.

this album snatched an AOTY nom at the scammys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom