Voyage - First play reactions (Contains spoilers)

Diddy

愛してるって 言わなきゃ殺す
Sorry loves, but why did you think I MOVED to Japan?

Understand that this is a spoiler zone!

I still have faith in you - still sounds so warm and lovely, the trumpetty effects are a bit crap now I listen closely but what a BUILD, but I think it’s the last refrain coming out of the climax that does me in. And those last 80s electronic bloops at the end, divine

When you danced with me
OOOOHH what an intro, very jiggy, sort of reminds me of that Highland song from… Highland? Someone Swedish anyway.
It’s short! Is this a bitch track? The vocals are quite upbeat considering how BYE BITCH it comes across :D

Little things
Is this the Christmas one? Giggles and screams! Well this is a bit twee for me, and ripping off Twinkle Twinkle Little Star? Hmm I was hoping more bleakness a la Happy New Year. Cute but…
Of all the things it feels rooted in the 70s in not a very ABBAesque way. OMG KIDS

Anyway next
Btw wtf this album is only 37 minutes long??

Don’t shut me down-
Still love this, the storytelling, this really IS ABBA-esque, I must say by this point I’m getting a little worried about this album. The double A-side is really the tits isn’t it?

This really does feel like ABBA reloaded in a much more satisfying way than tracks 2 & 3 could manage.

Just a notion 🥴

It does sound a lot better on earphones, I know plenty don’t really rate the first few albums, but I am a bit of a secret Ring Ring stan, and this does capture whatever it is about it, like a totally relaxed wedding party pissup with no drama

I can be that woman -
The gag at Tammy! Another story being woven, was this made for a stage show? It’s a bit literal and maybe missing the ABBA-isms but quite sweet all in all. Could’ve done with a bit more backing vox to support the main but yet, quite nice, feels quite 80s

Keep an eye on Dan-

Ooohhh! Intriguing start! Looooving some electro flourishes in here, I feel like this is the next step in the Voyage.
WTF is this about? I need a lyric sheet, is someone dead? I’m not even sure. Jazzy instrumentals! I’m coming right back for this track when I finish. Curious, a bit of a lyrical miracle. Keep an eye on Dan, give him some ham, he’s a good man. WHAT WAS THAT SOS AT THE END?!

Bumblebee- more pipes, is this about Transformers? Probably not. Oh really no it’s about an actual bumblebee. At least the synths are giving me the 80s album I wanted. Almost like this could’ve been from a lighter sequel to The Visitors. Maybe that’s just the Soldiers-esque rhythm to it.

Let’s just call this a mood piece. Of all the songs to go to 4 minutes, not sure I’d have gone for this one. Something Fernando about the ending though, so that’s no bad thing.

No doubt about it -
Oh a rocker :o this has a bit of an 80s vibe with the electric guitar, ooohh I love that low synthy stuff on the verses!
I like this :o I think I’m going to come back for this with relish too. I’m feeling them as a band on this one, the vocal blend, lovely

Ode to freedom-
Already at the end; lush orchestral start, let’s take it to the operaaaa! Omg could this be an instrumental? Intermezzo No.1 is secretly one of my favourites :o oh no it’s not. Those layered vocals!
Hmm where is this going? A bit drippy but quite nice.

There no ode to freedom with remembering? You might be onto something. Oh! That was it? Oh

Well… the first two singles were definitely the stars of the show, I guess they did their job then.

It doesn’t feel like a very coherent album, and I’m hoping some of these are going to grow on me.

There are only glimpses of a post-Visitors ABBA for me, they barely get past 1985 to my ears, it seems they were more interested in revisiting their roots or at least previous sounds. Anyway I don’t want to sound too down on it, I guess the hype was a bit too much.

I just hope you all like it, we all deserve it

I think I’ve been spoiled a bit by Kate Bush emerging from the woods after decades and delivering something so canonical and yet a step forward like Aerial.

Not quite sure it wasn’t obvious that there were spoilers tbh, especially given the first post. Well anyway enjoy yourselves, I’m off to bed. I might be awake when you get it :D

Bumblebee- more pipes, is this about Transformers? Probably not. Oh really no it’s about an actual bumblebee. At least the synths are giving me the 80s album I wanted. Almost like this could’ve been from a lighter sequel to The Visitors. Maybe that’s just the Soldiers-esque rhythm to it.

Let’s just call this a mood piece. Of all the songs to go to 4 minutes, not sure I’d have gone for this one. Something Fernando about the ending though, so that’s no bad thing.

#fuzzyball

Oh this next one sounds a bit IRISH :ireland:

When You Danced With Me - basically a little Irish ditty but done in such a specific ABBA way. Has so much nostalgia running through it, and wow I can’t get over how much the girls still sound like ABBA when they’re singing together.

Love this Christmas one but you just know fucking LADBABY will beat it to #1 :bruised:

Actually I don’t think it’ll crack the top forty :(:(

I couldn't not listen to ISHFIY, so am running a little behind

Little Things - such a gorgeous melody but I think I’d have to be in the MOOD for this… even though it’s an ABBA Christmas song and even though it’s quite understated musically, it still manages to be a little too MUCH…

I quite like the transition into Don’t Shut Me Down mind..

Not feeling Little Things all that much on first listen. But I'll be bloody grateful Christmas Day when I no doubt get to listen to this first thing instead of that awful Agnetha and Linda album.

The Little Things > Don’t Shut Me Down sequencing is inspired and does have a “now we’re OFF” energy to it.

Actually Little Things is just too twee to the point of mawkish. NEXT

DSMD is quite the palate cleanser, obviously

I’m QUITE THE FAN of I Can Be That Woman :disco:

I was saying the other day how it’s way too early to rank DSMD alongside the old hits. But actually listening through the album it already does sound like one of their old hits (although that’s possibly due to it being the most played song in my music library after two months).

I know it’s iTunes but Voyage is already #1 on iTunes :disco:

OK I admit this isn’t strictly my first listen… and I’ll also admit that knowing how the rest of the album shapes up it does make Just A Notion sound all the more incongruous.

But go on then…

Not entirely convinced lyrically by I Can Be That Woman, but Agnetha's voice is :(

Keep An Eye on Dan easily my fave non-single so far

@Pingu , is I Can Be That Woman the old song it was speculated it may be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom