18. The Tale Of Princess Kaguya
19. Nausicaä Of The Valley
20. From Up On Poppy Hill
21. My Neighbours The Yamadas

22. Ocean Waves
23. The Little Norse Prince
24. The Castle Of Caligostro
27. Earwig And The Witch

I started watching Castle in the Sky during ”lockdown” but never had the time to finish it (and watched it with several breaks).

This is the order the Ghibliotheque podcast did them in:

1. Spirited Away
2. Grave Of The Fireflies
3. My Neighbour Totoro
4. Whisper Of The Heart
5. Princess Mononoke
6. Only Yesterday
7. Howl's Moving Castle
8. Pom Poko
9. Porco Rosso
10. Arietty
11. The Cat Returns
12. Ponyo On The Beach
13. Kiki's Delivery Service
14. When Marnie Was There
15. Tales From Earthsea
16. Castle In The Sky
17. The Wind Rises
18. The Tale Of Princess Kaguya
19. Nausicaä Of The Valley
20. From Up On Poppy Hill
21. My Neighbours The Yamadas

22. Ocean Waves
23. The Little Norse Prince
24. The Castle Of Caligostro
27. Earwig And The Witch

I’m not really sure how they decided, but I’ll tell you for nothing that I’m NOT waiting for 6 months to watch Nausicaä!

And Grave of the Fireflies isn’t on Netflix for some reason :/

Oh good to see that there are still some excellent ones I haven't watched yet! And with my HBO Max subscription, I have every reason!

And I totally forgot about Marnie! Sweet film but definitely not in the top half

I’m not really sure how they decided, but I’ll tell you for nothing that I’m NOT waiting for 6 months to watch Nausicaä!

And Grave of the Fireflies isn’t on Netflix for some reason :/

I think Michael (the one who'd seen them all) picked them for Jake (the one who hadn't seen any) in quite a specific order that he thought would be the best introduction to them.

The rights to Grave Of The Fireflies are controlled by the company that published the original manga. It was one of the early deals the studio did and that's why it didn't end up on Netflix with the rest of them.

Oh good to see that there are still some excellent ones I haven't watched yet! And with my HBO Max subscription, I have every reason!

And I totally forgot about Marnie! Sweet film but definitely not in the top half

I love Marnie! I wasn't expecting to be so taken with it. I don't think that's a widely held opinion but I thought it was really good.

Grave Of The Fireflies is a brutal film - well worth paying for a rental if you haven't seen it.

Reactions: COB
Oh I am such a Ghibli queen :disco: I've seen pretty much all of them multiple times.
The highs are SO HIGH It'd would be impossible to separate them in any sort of rating system, so here's my take instead:

Top tier, 27/10 absolute masterpieces:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies (watched once and never need to EVER AGAIN! :D / :( )
Pom Poko (This was one of the last ones I watched as I generally don't love talking animals, but it's FANTASTIC! Beautifully animated and so many comments and critiques about society at large)
Princess Mononoke (so LAYERED :disco: )
Spirited Away (must have been about 10,000 times already)
Howl's Moving Castle

Not quite TOP TIER, but still amazing films:

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service (not actually a personal fave, but iconic for a reason)
Porco Rosso
The Cat Returns (batshit, and a bit budget but cute)
Tales from Earthsea (I liked this SO MUCH MORE than it's reputation suggests. Homoerotic older/young man leads and a camp old villain. What's not to LOVE!)
Ponyo (some of the best animation of any of the films, just a bit SLIGHT on plot)
Arrietty (feels a little half-formed, it just sort of ENDS)
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (beautiful if a little SLOW)
When Marnie Was There (cute but LIGHT with a hint of INCEST)

Aren't these all basically the same film...?

Only Yesterday
Ocean Waves
Whisper of the Heart
From Up on Poppy Hill

Wasn't keen on:

The Wind Rises (hints of Nazi sympathising if I remember correct)

Not seen:

My Neighbors the Yamadas (tried to watch several times but never made it through the first 10 mins)
Earwig and the Witch

Last edited:
Oh I am such a Ghibli queen :disco: I've seen pretty much all of them multiple times.
The highs are SO HIGH It'd would be impossible to separate them in any sort of rating system, so here's my take instead:

Top tier, 27/10 absolute masterpieces:

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
Castle in the Sky
Grave of the Fireflies (watched once and never need to EVER AGAIN! :D / :( )
Pom Poko (This was one of the last ones I watched as I generally don't love talking animals, but it's FANTASTIC! Beautifully animated and so many comments and critiques about society at large)
Princess Mononoke (so LAYERED :disco: )
Spirited Away (must have been about 10,000 times already)
Howl's Moving Castle

Not quite TOP TIER, but still amazing films:

My Neighbor Totoro
Kiki's Delivery Service (not actually a personal fave, but iconic for a reason)
Porco Rosso
The Cat Returns (batshit, and a bit budget but cute)
Tales from Earthsea (I liked this SO MUCH MORE than it's reputation suggests. Homoerotic older/young man leads and a camp old villain. What's not to LOVE!)
Ponyo (some of the best animation of any of the films, just a bit SLIGHT on plot)
Arrietty (feels a little half-formed, it just sort of ENDS)
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya (beautiful if a little SLOW)
When Marnie Was There (cute but LIGHT with a hint of INCEST)

Aren't these all basically the same film...?

Only Yesterday
Ocean Waves
Whisper of the Heart
From Up on Poppy Hill

Wasn't keen on:

The Wind Rises (hints of Nazi sympathising if I remember correct)

Not seen:

My Neighbors the Yamadas (tried to watch several times but never made it through the first 10 mins)
Earwig and the Witch

Are you IN? We could use your lengthy and lurid descriptions of your thoughts on each film as we go along :disco:

Reactions: COB
@Diddy when is the new Miyazaki film coming out? What's the GOSS in Nippon. I'm beyond excited we are getting one last film from him and the premise sounds AMAZING.

I've seen them all, but they all sort of BLEND INTO ONE for me being from the more sober side of the Ghibli universe.

Only Yesterday - I actually really like this one. Very RELAXING and introspective to watch.
Ocean Waves - this one was cute and good, could have beefed up the GAY
Whisper of the Heart - The only Ghibli film I've found to be really boring (and I LIKE "boring" films). Was also HOODWINKED into thinking it was about the cat king when it's not at all :D
From Up on Poppy Hill - the one about the clubhouse. FINE if a little dull. Your Name does a vaguely similar sort of film but much more interestingly.

Whisper of the Heart was written by Miyazaki so it's automatically 10/10.

And I'm surprised you CLUTCH YOUR PEARLS at the NOT-EVEN-THAT-STRONG whiff of incest in Marnie and then don't even BLINK at it being the MAIN PLOT POINT of Poppy Hill!

Calm down girls :o

Although WTF how is Poppy Hill like Your Name? Marnie I could MAYBE see a slightly common premise with Your Name

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom