Chromatics - Dear Tommy

FetchFugly

Pregnant
There are a couple of wonderful new songs from their upcoming Dear Tommy album out there now:

:disco: BAY-BEE :disco:

He's always hanging upside down...

Not quite up there with the pop majesty of Kill For Love or Cherry yet but good enough. I know they have involvement with the other Johnny Jewel acts on the Lost River soundtrack as well, but that is likely to be more movie mood music rather than proper songs so I'm not quite so excited by that.

Last edited by a moderator:
is dear tommy ever going to see the light of day?

shadow is probably my favourite of the released tracks and considering how much i loved the ones so far, that's quite a feat.

Yes that is very dreamy indeed.

It does seem to have gone quiet on the much promised album. Hopefully it will make an appearance before too long.

they covered girls just wanna have fun. it's rather limp but i'm posting it for the sake of post-erity. geddit? lol.

Destroying 25,000 copies of your album seems a little extreme when you are only planning to recreate exactly the same album again. I still won't be holding my breath for a release.

i think shadow might be my favourite song of the year. i really liked it the last time around but for some reason now i properly love it. don't know if it's the video or just the right moment for it but it is everything. it's gorgeous, it's devastating, it's vulnerable, it's powerful.

absolute brilliance.

Excellent new song from the still coming Dear Tommy:

The now 21 track album is apparently being released in autumn. OK then...

It doesn't exactly reinvent the Chromatics wheel but those pretty, pretty synths. :disco:

New single.

Dear Tommy still SOON. Johnny Jewel is the hipster Keisha Buchanan at this point, though I suppose they do actually manage to release some music while they lead us a merry dance regarding the album.

I was thinking about changing my avatar to something Nana related but I've now decided I'm leaving Ruth as she is until the album is actually released. I do wonder if they've put out all the proper songs and all that will be left are the MOOD PIECES.

Half covers of Hole songs are all very good but it seems to have gone very quiet again re: WHERE IS DEAR TOMMY?

On the album coming soon page of their website I swear there were more tracks showing before. I did hope that it might emerge over the summer, before the European tour. I do hope he isn't tinkering again.

Interview with Desire here.

Dear Tommy still 'coming out soon!' A new Desire album apparently to be released in '2020'.

I Can Never Be Myself When You're Around has been put back up:

The album version is apparently different, should we ever get the chance to hear it.

this version is ridiculously good. the album really is shaping up (for how many years now?) to be perfection. hope he doesn't burn it (again).

The album was originally announced in December 2014(!) for release the following February. There is a tracklist from 2016 here but the rerecorded version is apparently four tracks longer.

The video for title track is still on Dailymotion but Just Like You and In Films seem to only persist on Soundcloud. In Films really is uncharacteristically peppy for them and the lyrics were partially reused on Black Walls so who knows if that will make the cut?

The Dear Tommy trolling is too much:

In the meantime this song from a new Italians Do It Better Euro import is pretty good:

Scaling ever greater heights of absurdity.

Glad to have a new one at any rate. Hope it's good.

the link wasn't working this morning an my first thought was: fresh shenannigans.

also i love that they're promoting this record as their 7th album when their previous was their 5th.

counting the release of dear tommy in an alternate timeline, no doubt.

the link wasn't working this morning an my first thought was: fresh shenannigans.

also i love that they're promoting this record as their 7th album when their previous was their 5th.

counting the release of dear tommy in an alternate timeline, no doubt.

Still coming, apparently.

Some good stuff on this album, even if it is just a stop gap (and the good stuff maybe isn't quite as striking as the Dear Tommy singles).

You're No Good feels as dancey as they have in quite a while, reminiscent of the I Want Your Love kind of sound. The title track and Twist The Knife are great too. Move A Mountain is an unusually MOR ballad.

Oh I love the Jesus & Mary Chain cover. Eight and a half minutes and I didn't want it to end.

My mouth literally fell open when I realised "Move a Mountain"'s gentle opening wasn't a misdirection but the song itself. I like it, "Wishing Well"'s similar vibe less so.

"You're No Good" is excellent and the tight (for them/him) 45 minute runtime suggest more of an overture to casual fans.

Will this be released on vinyl? I imagine a firm you've got to be kidding at the mere suggestion from everyone else at the label.

Oh I love the Jesus & Mary Chain cover. Eight and a half minutes and I didn't want it to end.

My mouth literally fell open when I realised "Move a Mountain"'s gentle opening wasn't a misdirection but the song itself. I like it, "Wishing Well"'s similar vibe less so.

"You're No Good" is excellent and the tight (for them/him) 45 minute runtime suggest more of an overture to casual fans.

Will this be released on vinyl? I imagine a firm you've got to be kidding at the mere suggestion from everyone else at the label.

No more album destruction Johnny! I'm sure there will be physicals, as they release nearly everything on CD/vinyl, cobbled together albums, compilations, EPs and all. Hopefully they will have the album on sale for the tour. All the back catalogue seems to be unavailable in their store at the moment, presumably they've pulled it for selling at the shows. Fingers crossed this is the case as I am planning a spree. :disco:

No more album destruction Johnny! I'm sure there will be physicals, as they release nearly everything on CD/vinyl, cobbled together albums, compilations, EPs and all. Hopefully they will have the album on sale for the tour. All the back catalogue seems to be unavailable in their store at the moment, presumably they've pulled it for selling at the shows. Fingers crossed this is the case as I am planning a spree. :disco:

i really wanted to see them. where are you going? i was eying berlin next week but i've been spending far too much and decided against.

i really wanted to see them. where are you going? i was eying berlin next week but i've been spending far too much and decided against.

I'm seeing them in London at the end of the month. Very much looking forward to it.

In very Chromatics news they apparently aren't doing any of the Closer To Grey material at their European shows. Also according to the Chromatics reddit(!) they unfortunately haven't brought any of their lovely wares with them to flog at the gigs.

One of my favourites from the album gets a video:

Their live show was excellent. Amazing visuals all night, but especially during Chromatics. Megan from Desire was a total queen, and Ruth had a very different presence. Johnny was great fun to watch. Some of the older Chromatics songs were beefed up very effectively. Only slight complaints are that Cherry seemed a bit short and the live version of I Can Never... (and the revised Dear Tommy take is apparently similar) cut out about half the lyrics.

Very nice alternate Twist The Knife:

As per the video comments a deluxe album with mixes, drumless versions etc is incoming 'SOON'.

Bonus disc from the deluxe Closer To Grey, mainly reworkings of songs from the main album:

Dear Tommy is now due 'second half' of 2020.

New, apparently stand-alone single that sounds like it may be included on After Dark 3 or some such compilation:

I didn't notice any on vinyl but it was nice to see a couple of CD copies of Closer To Grey in the new releases in HMV yesterday. I'm holding off for the deluxe CD which has been promised.

i wasn't able to get into closer to grey... what were your highlights, fetch?

i wasn't able to get into closer to grey... what were your highlights, fetch?

The songs released so far from Dear Tommy are individually stronger for the most part but it is a tight collection, and all the better since it is pretty much a bonus.

I would say You're No Good (obviously), the title track, Move a Mountain and On the Wall. The Sound of Silence still feels a little by the numbers (and unnecessary considering how good the other cover is, but after that the run up to and including Touch Red is wonderful.

Italians are releasing weekly singles seemingly building to... SOMETHING. This week is Desire's New Order cover as performed on tour last year:

:disco:

the new one is something else!

it says it's from an album of the same name and i really can't be bothered to catch up with the release strategy but it's already one of my favourite things they've done ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom