Catatonia - Dead From The Waist Down

No bad scene beyond repair...

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
I've had a bit of a revival of this song recently. Probably the least remembered of Catatonia's big hits, but I think it's aged really nicely, and it's the prettiest I think Cerys Matthews' voice has sounded on record. She looks beautiful in the video too.

I loved this then and still enjoy it now, and I admired the fact that they didn't just go for "Moulder & Scully part 2" after International Velvet. I liked the 'WTF' element of it at the time...

I gave away my Equally Cursed & Blessed CD to charity a few months ago in my 'these can now go - I don't need the CDs anymore' pile. It was quite emotional actually but that's another topic.

Last edited:
I'm quite sure I hadn't heard it for over 15 years.

Nice enough, but a bit plodding.

It was a great change up for them and I saw them at a very sunny outdoor gig when the album this is from was out and the crowd singing along elevated this song to glorious.

I was very much into Catatonia at this time and it remains lovely.

The wheels kind of came off after this. In retrospect Karaoke Queen was a bit of a mess, despite 'MATTHEW!'

The last album might have died on its arse but I didn't think it was bad.

I like Karaoke Queen. I always assumed it was a b-side or something though (I went through a brief Catatonia obsession years after they'd disbanded but before Cerys had become the voice of WORLD MUSIC on the BBC).

TEN

The album isn’t bad but suffered from being not HALF as good as the solid gold of its predecessor

Bulimic Beats - YES

Londinium - YES.

Karaoke Queen - no. CLUNKY VERSES, CLUNKIER CHORUS. Just cringe.

I didn't realise how attractive Cerys was in most of their videos after the debut either, they really glammed her up. It's like she found Instagram.

I would say if you like this song then definitely check out Cerys’ first solo album - it was very much in line with the sound she was going for.

Still utterly LUSH. Catatonia were great.

Yes, I remember reviews picking that one out a lot at the time.

Anyway, because I'm so used to the word "DEAD" being used on here my heart absolutely sank like a brick thinking there was a "latest thread" breaking some horrible news.

Yes, I remember reviews picking that one out a lot at the time.

Anyway, because I'm so used to the word "DEAD" being used on here my heart absolutely sank like a brick thinking there was a "latest thread" breaking some horrible news.

Happy to report that our girl Cerys Matthews is still alive from the waist up on Radio 6.

There’s a Swedish doom metal band Katatonia I like so whenever I see the name Catatonia somewhere I always have to have a second to think.:argh:

Catatonia reunion in 2023 please.

She was on Sunday Brunch a few weeks ago and I was hoping it'd be related but it was a children's book she had written or something.

Anyway, this is a 10.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom