Can we please talk about Titiyo

Funky

User
Surely one of the most underrated pop stars and vocalists I can recall... very successful in Sweden, known only amongst core pop fans and gays for a few collabs and minor hits elsewhere

I just absolutely fucking love her voice. But it appears as thought she has released SIX studio albums and tonnes of collabs and I haven't even scratched the surface. Can I have some recommendations please.

Of course this remains one of the greatest pop-dance songs ever...

A lot of her early stuff is very trippy. It appears as though she was doing Morcheeba before Morcheeba was.

edit: maybe not, turns out this was from 2001.

Last edited:
This Americana-type ballad with her brother is not very moopy-adjacent but it remains, possibly, in my top ten songs of all time. This is how I discovered her.

Just listen to her voice. It is sublime.

Seems like she had a good go at R&B in the 90s. This was her biggest UK hit, #45 in 1994. Sounds like SWV/Jade etc.

Ooh, a rare VoR/funky musical crossover :disco:

Of the ones not already mentioned, this is probably my favourite. Her voice is exceptional.

Ooh, a rare VoR/funky musical crossover :disco:

Of the ones not already mentioned, this is probably my favourite. Her voice is exceptional.

this reminds me of something/somebody. God her voice is so beautiful.

A lot of her stuff could totally work on a Jessie Ware album, couldn't it? Definitely a similar VIBE.

Yes they both have that control and emotion in their voices. Two perfect examples of how power doesn't necessarily equate the best vocal.

She's also done a cover of Invincible by Carola, which is probably the only context in which I can imagine funky enjoying that song :D

This Americana-type ballad with her brother is not very moopy-adjacent but it remains, possibly, in my top ten songs of all time. This is how I discovered her.

Just listen to her voice. It is sublime.

I think they’re cousins. (He’s Neneh Cherry’s brother)

I think they'd be step-siblings maybe?

Neneh and Titiyo have the same father (Ahmadu Jah)
Neneh and Eagle-Eye have the same mother (Monika Karlsson)

Eagle Eye and Titiyo don't share any parentage.

If you're up for Swedish language pop, I've always liked 'Drottningen är tillbaka'

ooh lovely bit of synthwave there! Does she ever actually do a bad vocal?

That would have made a lovely ASFM entry. Douze points from me!

Just remembered this BOP in my acid jazz playlist. She certainly explored lots of different genres didn't she? She makes every genre effortless...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom