Bananarama Vs. Steps: Coincidence or Breach of Copyright?

Do you believe any similarity between these two songs to be intentional or purely accidental?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nothing like each other AT ALL apart from the "Shade of blue" bit.

BOTH magnificent, obviously :disco:

And LET'S FACE IT, the NANAS can't talk after all their shenanigans over the years. SIX PEOPLE to write the "new" second verse to More More More apparently. And LEST WE FORGET:

"And if you want to know
What it means to me
Just hear the rhythm grooving
Get your body moving
Baby you know my love for you is true
Any time you want to
Do what you gotta do"

Change a word, take a third... :disco:

More like HINGE AND BRACKET

1654775682069.png

I’ve had the thought too. I don’t think the songs themselves are that similar but I do suspect that Deeper may not exist if Every hadn’t come before it and planted a seed.

Surely the most obvious candidate for a Steps related lawsuit would be Pale Movie/Summer of Love?

I’ve had the thought too. I don’t think the songs themselves are that similar but I do suspect that Deeper may not exist if Every hadn’t come before it and planted a seed.

To be fair, there's been QUITE A FEW "Shade of blue" songs over the years to implant it as a lyrical idea.

I mean, the fact that Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards have never been credited as songwriters on Stomp is very surprising. They almost certainly would be if the song came out nowadays but somehow they seemingly managed to get away with a “tribute to Chic” note in the album sleeve.

I’d never heard that Bananarama one before - at first I thought there was a strong similarity but that wore off the more it went on. I’d say they sound like two very distinct songs overall.

Surely the most obvious candidate for a Steps related lawsuit would be Pale Movie/Summer of Love?

Now THIS I can definitely hear the overlap with :D

Bizarrely, Pale Movie is one of my favourites of theirs but I’ve never noticed the glaring similarities until they were pointed out.

Yes they cover similar ground but are not that close. I think the connection is probably made more readily because of the two Nana covers by Steps.

And of course, to complete the circle, the ET’s Hug My Soul rips off More More More…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom