All Saints - Black Coffee

Freeze the moment...

• Total voters

VoR

Take it or leave it
Their last, and to my mind best, chart topper. Featuring notable lead vocalist Natalie Appleton. :eyes:

Seriously though, this is gorgeous. I'm so glad it was a #1.

It’s a very odd song but I love it. That whole album is quite good.

Reactions: VoR
I always thought it was slightly overrated. I really like it, still an 8/10 but not as good as Pure Shores and some of their lesser known hits, and I thought it was quite a slight song for a #1, very understated. Says a lot about their popularity at the time I think for it to top the charts.

Shaznay's half bee sting, half hiccup timbre purring "freeze the moment" is the song's delicate exclamation point. And yes, voice of our generation Natalie is the breeze this floats on.

In my Top 5 songs of ALL TIME. It has the most beautiful eeriness I've ever heard. The sad melody, the silky vocals, the quirky production.

And YES, Queen Nat is the standout.

I swear I didn't read your post before saying almost the exact same line. Great airheads think alike :)

Says a lot about their popularity at the time I think for it to top the charts.

i agree, but also I think it’s a rare case of the producer riding a wave of popularity too. I mean you can’t say how an Orbit-less version would go because it wouldn’t be the same song, but I think you got a boost there too.

I mean Pure Shores at that point was the #1 of the year, I think.

that’s a bit of a hot streak too, Pure Shores, American Pie and this in the same year!

Their best I think. Great production.

Is it 20 years old today? I remember it was released at around the same time as Holler (which I was so annoyed it wasn’t as good as this one).

I didn't care for it much at the time, but it aged like Zac Efron.
I'm not sure this metaphor represents what you think it does tbh.

anyway a good song but far from their best. It's pleasant background music.

I think this is superior to Pure Shores which I never warmed up to.

Eerie is the word. Pure Shores is probably the better pop song but this unabashedly wonderful.

10/10

Anyway of course I love it but I prefer 'Pure Shores'

And I am not sure about this narrative rewriting history with Nat & her voice when we all know THE VOICE is/has always been/and will always be Cherly.

In one of those WEIRD POP QUIRKS, it was originally written and recorded by BRITAIN's RICHEST WOMAN (apparently).
Her version (called 'I Wouldn't Wanna Be') isn't online anymore aside from this slightly facially-FRANTIC live version

It's all VERY Madonna's Ray Of Light, Don't Tell Me and Nothing Fails, and PCD's Don't Cha all later being exposed as COVERS!

I mean can you say it’s a cover of no one had heard it before.

This is very Deeper Shade of Blue was a Tina Cousins original.

I always thought it was slightly overrated. I really like it, still an 8/10 but not as good as Pure Shores and some of their lesser known hits, and I thought it was quite a slight song for a #1, very understated. Says a lot about their popularity at the time I think for it to top the charts.

I agree with every word of this.

This featured in tonight's episode of Only Connect :disco: and the link was OBVIOUSLY coffee.

Still one of my all-time favourite UK #1s, and one of my favourite songs in general.

i wouldn't wanna TAKE
Everything out on YOU
Though I know I DO
Every time I fall... :(

10/10

On par with Pure Shores. Just magical, in a different way.

A guy like me wouldn't last past "freeze the moment" in a live setting. Shaz's vocals are a shiver in their own right. Freeze the moment, punch the sofa, steal a jacket or prank call Madge to tell her she's a loser passing on Pure Shores, this is the song they truly dared to reveal what a dream pop combo they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom