ABBA Rate - The Definitive 50th Anniversary Edition (VOTING CLOSED - Results this week!)

Pingu

Noot noot
ABBA-Awards.jpg

Why not! It's the year that the long-awaited ABBA Voyage show gets up and running and also the 50th anniversary of ABBA becoming a group, so let's have a good old rate.

Info on this post, long scary list of songs on post #2...

I'm aware there have been a couple of ABBA rates in the past, but as far as I'm aware we've never done a full discography one, and I promise to do a fun all-singing, Frida-mum-dancing countdown at the end.

THE RULES
  • Give each song a score between 00 and 10
  • .5 scores are allowed, if you must
  • You can award a maximum of 15 10s
  • In addition to this, you can award one 11
  • SEND YOUR VOTES TO ME BY PM, not by posting in this thread

"But Pingu, that's a hell of a lot of songs, I don't have the time to go through and rate them"
Never fear, I'm intending to keep this open for quite a while. No hard deadline at the moment but I'd imagine it'll be a month or two, so I'll leave it here for you to take your time. If you want to send me your scores in sections to give me something to put in my spreadsheet, that's absolutely fine, and I've divided the songs by album for ease.

"But Pingu, come on I'm not a hardcore fan, I don't know half of these songs!"
Then what better opportunity to immerse yourself in one of the best back cats of all time? I'm leaving this open for quite a while, and the intention (if interest is there) is to do sync listens of all the albums over the next couple of months for the benefit of those who want to familiarise or refamiliarise themselves with the deep cuts.
And of course, if after that you're still struggling then I'd rather have some votes from you than none at all, so you can put "??" next to songs you don't know, and a ?? will be awarded the average for that song minus one.

"But Pingu, what about Just Like That?"
Sorry @Hak but it's only officially released songs here. It's a comprehensive list of every song commercially released in full by ABBA (or Bjorn & Benny, Agnetha & Frida), excluding alternative versions like foreign-language or live recordings (one Swedish song and two live tracks are on here, as they don't have an English/studio version).

"OK Pingu just get on with it."
No problem, list of songs for your voting pleasure in the next post. Enjoy!

Last edited:
THE TRACKS

RING RING
00 Ring Ring
00 Another Town, Another Train
00 Disillusion
00 People Need Love
00 I Saw It in the Mirror
00 Nina, Pretty Ballerina
00 Love Isn’t Easy (But It Sure Is Hard Enough)
00 Me and Bobby and Bobby’s Brother
00 He Is Your Brother
00 She’s My Kind of Girl
00 I Am Just a Girl
00 Rock’n’Roll Band
00 Merry-Go-Round
00 Santa Rosa

WATERLOO
00 Waterloo
00 Sitting in the Palmtree
00 King Kong Song
00 Hasta Mañana
00 My Mama Said
00 Dance (While The Music Still Goes On)
00 Honey Honey
00 Watch Out
00 What About Livingstone?
00 Gonna Sing You My Love Song
00 Suzy-Hang-Around

ABBA
00 Mamma Mia
00 Hey, Hey Helen
00 Tropical Loveland
00 SOS
00 Man in the Middle
00 Bang-A-Boomerang
00 I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do, I Do
00 Rock Me
00 Intermezzo No. 1
00 I’ve Been Waiting For You
00 So Long
00 Crazy World
00 Medley: Pick A Bale of Cotton/On Top of Old Smokey/Midnight Special

ARRIVAL
00 When I Kissed The Teacher
00 Dancing Queen
00 My Love, My Life
00 Dum Dum Diddle
00 Knowing Me, Knowing You
00 Money, Money, Money
00 That’s Me
00 Why Did It Have to Be Me?
00 Tiger
00 Arrival
00 Fernando
00 Happy Hawaii

ABBA: THE ALBUM
00 Eagle
00 Take A Chance On Me
00 One Man, One Woman
00 The Name of the Game
00 Move On
00 Hole in Your Soul
00 Thank You For The Music
00 I Wonder (Departure)
00 I’m A Marionette

VOULEZ-VOUS
00 As Good As New
00 Voulez-Vous
00 I Have A Dream
00 Angeleyes
00 The King Has Lost His Crown
00 Does Your Mother Know
00 If It Wasn’t For the Nights
00 Chiquitita
00 Lovers (Live A Little Longer)
00 Kisses of Fire
00 Summer Night City
00 Lovelight
00 Gimme! Gimme! Gimme! (A Man After Midnight)

SUPER TROUPER
00 Super Trouper
00 The Winner Takes It All
00 On and On and On
00 Andante, Andante
00 Me and I
00 Happy New Year
00 Our Last Summer
00 The Piper
00 Lay All Your Love On Me
00 The Way Old Friends Do
00 Elaine

THE VISITORS
00 The Visitors
00 Head Over Heels
00 When All is Said and Done
00 Soldiers
00 I Let The Music Speak
00 One of Us
00 Two for the Price of One
00 Slipping Through My Fingers
00 Like an Angel Passing Through My Room
00 Should I Laugh or Cry
00 I Am The City
00 You Owe Me One
00 Cassandra
00 Under Attack
00 The Day Before You Came

VOYAGE
00 I Still Have Faith In You
00 When You Danced With Me
00 Little Things
00 Don’t Shut Me Down
00 Just A Notion
00 I Can Be That Woman
00 Keep an Eye on Dan
00 Bumblebee
00 No Doubt About It
00 Ode To Freedom

THE REST
00 Åh, vilka tider
00 Dream World
00 I’m Still Alive
00 Put On Your White Sombrero

Last edited:
Regarding sync listens, are they still a thing? Is there much appetite for them and if so, what is the best way to do them? Suggestions welcome as the one part of this I'm slightly on edge about is trying to drum up interest for syncs!

I'm definitely up for sync listens. I would do them on YouTube like the Kylie ones we did if possible, so we can watch the music videos where they exist as we go along. I think you'd get enough people, especially for the best albums!

Is limiting the number of 10s a bit harsh? I’m wondering if it’s pointless and will just result in a shitload of 9s instead…

Is limiting the number of 10s a bit harsh? I’m wondering if it’s pointless and will just result in a shitload of 9s instead…
I'm not sure it will make that much difference in that respect, but it does make it more interesting deciding what your 10s are.

Just a thought re possible sync listens. Monday 17th January is Blue Monday.

Can we NOT do Ring Ring and Waterloo then, please?

I'm not sure it will make that much difference in that respect, but it does make it more interesting deciding what your 10s are.
I’ve kept the limit but increased it to 15 - not that I’d imagine people would be giving out more than that anyway, it just felt wrong to limit it to basically one per album.

Oh hang on @Pingu, I've just noticed you're allowing .5s.

I think I'm going to decide my 10s, then pick the top 15, and then give the ones I can't give a 10, 9.5. Is that going to be a ballache for you?

Oh hang on @Pingu, I've just noticed you're allowing .5s.

I think I'm going to decide my 10s, then pick the top 15, and then give the ones I can't give a 10, 9.5. Is that going to be a ballache for you?
Nope that’s absolutely fine.

Can we decide on sync listens, then? For the first three albums I'd quite like to do them as I so rarely play them in their entirety, even if from Arrival on they are so much better and would probably get a better response.

Can we decide on sync listens, then? For the first three albums I'd quite like to do them as I so rarely play them in their entirety, even if from Arrival on they are so much better and would probably get a better response.
YES, very keen to get one in this week. Do we dare do them in order?

OK so apologies in advance - I promise I won't make a habit of bulk-tagging (at least until the very end when I've only had 3 votes in), but...

@lolly @octophone @Alex @Star @Diddy @dUb @Frozen @Ag @Christian @Ill Advised @Peekaboo @Madison @Halli @Jark @POP! @Iguana @dmlaw @COB @Tisch @Hak @Soldi @David 5000 @Sheena @ZenGiraffe @Suomi @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid @Lockhart @Barnacle @Beverley @Gangsta Nancy Lam @ButterTart @Suedey @Music @Tetris-Rock @VoR @Penelope @auretz @jivafox @passthatdutch @Broomhelga @BoysForSeles @Marilyn @Rita @jyxz @Loufoque

First of all, hi, doing an ABBA Rate here in case you weren't aware. Please do them the honour of voting.

But secondly, keen to boot up some album sync listens and am looking at doing the first one on Wednesday at 7pm. Hope some of you will be interested in joining in to listen to a Mystery ABBA album (ooooh) to be revealed just before we start.

This is on my radar but yes I need to refamiliarise myself with the early albums first…

OK so apologies in advance - I promise I won't make a habit of bulk-tagging (at least until the very end when I've only had 3 votes in), but...

@lolly @octophone @Alex @Star @Diddy @dUb @Frozen @Ag @Christian @Ill Advised @Peekaboo @Madison @Halli @Jark @POP! @Iguana @dmlaw @COB @Tisch @Hak @Soldi @David 5000 @Sheena @ZenGiraffe @Suomi @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid @Lockhart @Barnacle @Beverley @Gangsta Nancy Lam @ButterTart @Suedey @Music @Tetris-Rock @VoR @Penelope @auretz @jivafox @passthatdutch @Broomhelga @BoysForSeles @Marilyn @Rita @jyxz @Loufoque

First of all, hi, doing an ABBA Rate here in case you weren't aware. Please do them the honour of voting.

But secondly, keen to boot up some album sync listens and am looking at doing the first one on Wednesday at 7pm. Hope some of you will be interested in joining in to listen to a Mystery ABBA album (ooooh) to be revealed just before we start.
I don't think I would survive an Abba rate. If the ancient outdated music doesn't kill me, some combination of you, @HerSereneHighnessAnniFrid, @Ag and I am sure plenty of others would commit a murder over my scores.

I don’t really know enough of the songs beyond More ABBA Gold and Voyage to take part so would be giving out too many ?s probably but I’ll watch the results for sure.

I don’t really know enough of the songs beyond More ABBA Gold and Voyage to take part so would be giving out too many ?s probably but I’ll watch the results for sure.
Incomplete votes are most welcome if there comes a moment in the next month or two where you feel like sending one! I’m happy that the scoring system allows for total ABBA loons and more fairweather fans to have their say.

Incomplete votes are most welcome if there comes a moment in the next month or two where you feel like sending one! I’m happy that the scoring system allows for total ABBA loons and more fairweather fans to have their say.
Sweet, what I know I know well so can easily score those for you at some point.

Can’t WAIT to see who else campaigns for Suzy- Hang-Around as the greatest vocal in the ABBA discography :disco:

Another sync listen of a classic album coming up this week, but how about another rate or two from posters who are au fait with the back catalogue in the meantime to accompany the 3 I’ve already received?

I won’t tag anyone but you know who you are. 😉

I've been listening to 'ABBA' a bit since the sync listen last week and Bang-A-Boomerang and Rock Me have really grown on me. Even that tropical one has grown to being 'okay'.

I listened to Abba after missing the sync listen as well. I'm not going to be voting until the end, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom